Is a 7 seat CX-5 needed?

Why not get a CX-9 then? What would be the point?

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I've been asking for one... the rumor here is that it's been coming... I had hoped this year.

You'd probably be able to translate the Japanese LiveDoor blog...presumably arriving end of the year I guess.

On another note, interesting to hear of a New Yorker as a Red Sox fan!? and also a Carps fan?

You'd probably be able to translate the Japanese LiveDoor blog...presumably arriving end of the year I guess.

On another note, interesting to hear of a New Yorker as a Red Sox fan!? and also a Carps fan?

Yeah, my dealer had no idea when it was arriving/if it was arriving. Over the past three years I haven't completely figured if he's dumb or just plays dumb when I ask him questions about unavailable stuff. And there are plenty of Red Sox fans on the East End of Long Island, Carl Yastrzemski was from out there, and before cable, much of our TV was from New England. In Hiroshima, it's pretty much expected that you're a Carp fan, which my kid is, and I'm becoming (I used to like the Tigers and the Lions). I'll be at opening day this year and I was at the final Carp victory in the Japan series last fall.

To compete with the Nissan Rogue? But those rear seats are a joke for adults.

The mitsubishi outlander is the same class but now forgotten due to Misubishi's demise in reputation and brand popularity. But it too has 3rd row.

3rd rows in these class is questionable. unless its for very small kids or very short and slim adults. These 3rd rows are not for long family road trips taking 6 people.

Heck I even tried the Cx9 and the third row in there is tight. What more in these smaller CUVs.

To compete with the Nissan Rogue? But those rear seats are a joke for adults.

The mitsubishi outlander is the same class but now forgotten due to Misubishi's demise in reputation and brand popularity. But it too has 3rd row.

3rd rows in these class is questionable. unless its for very small kids or very short and slim adults. These 3rd rows are not for long family road trips taking 6 people.

Heck I even tried the Cx9 and the third row in there is tight. What more in these smaller CUVs.
You do realize that this car will likely never be available in the US. It is aimed at the Japanese market where even adults are much slimmer and shorter than the average American and shorter than the average European. The average male is less than 150 pounds and shorter than 5'2". I want it so when we take my kid somewhere, we can bring more of her friends, and their parents if they'd like.

The average male is less than 150 pounds and shorter than 5'2".

sensationalising to prove a point, lol. the average japanese male's weight is 149lb, so ~50% are above this weight. The average male's height is over 5'7".

It's Japan, not Lilliput.

sensationalising to prove a point, lol. the average japanese male's weight is 149lb, so ~50% are above this weight. The average male's height is over 5'7".

It's Japan, not Lilliput.

What we dont know is the standard deviation - but I would wager, having been to Japan a number if times, that a significant proportion of the population would be within +- 10 to 15% of those averages!

At 6'6" tall i stand out from the crowd over there, somewhat!

Fair to say the 7 seater is only for Japan and the South East Asian market or where the CX-9 is not available. Just interested to know if it is actually going to be longer and bigger wheelbase than the 5 seater much like the old Nissan Qashqai.

You do realize that this car will likely never be available in the US. It is aimed at the Japanese market where even adults are much slimmer and shorter than the average American and shorter than the average European. The average male is less than 150 pounds and shorter than 5'2". I want it so when we take my kid somewhere, we can bring more of her friends, and their parents if they'd like.

I just spent time in China and saw the CX-4, which looked much bigger and longer than the CX-5. Actually looked really nice! I could see that car easily being modified to make room for a small third row to hold children and the occasional adult for a short period.

Also, I am 6'1" and I towered over everyone. People are shorter and thinner in China and Japan. American's are fat (speaking as an American!).

No f'n 3rd row for this vehicle!! Makes no sense, buy something larger where it could at least be utilized while not completely killing cargo space.

I just spent time in China and saw the CX-4, which looked much bigger and longer than the CX-5. Actually looked really nice! I could see that car easily being modified to make room for a small third row to hold children and the occasional adult for a short period.

Also, I am 6'1" and I towered over everyone. People are shorter and thinner in China and Japan. American's are fat (speaking as an American!).

Indeed. In Japan, were the roads are so much narrower, and lined with walls, the CX5 with a third row does make sense. I doubt that it would be for sale in the North America or Australia ever. At 6'3" and 240 pounds I absolutely dwarf the populous, and compared to any East Asian nation (and a lot of the world) we Americans are fat generally. I tend to forget how big I am and every now and then I wind up being the only white guy in the photo, and I look like someone with no sense of scale photoshopped me in, for a reminder.

Rogue's third row is for toddlers. It has only a few inches of leg drop. You also have to give up the spare tire, so the package has run flat tires (ugh)

The Mazda5 was awfully small in that 3rd row as well... 99% of time it was folded down to be trunk area, but when you needed it, it was there!
(naughty)

Last edited:
Rogue's third row is for toddlers. It has only a few inches of leg drop. You also have to give up the spare tire, so the package has run flat tires (ugh)

No spare in Japan anyway.

The Mazda5 was awfully small in that 3rd row as well... 99% of time it was folded down to be trunk area, but when you needed it, it was there!
(naughty)

Mazda 5 could be a serious competitor - if its crash ratings did not suck. Imagine a van that starts around 20k USD.
It would be the Nissan of cars on price with more reliability - reading an article on CVTs - Man the Nissans suck so bad in the USA - will never recommend one to anyone, but a certified Kia before a Nissan.

No f'n 3rd row for this vehicle!! Makes no sense, buy something larger where it could at least be utilized while not completely killing cargo space.

It makes perfect sense. If Mazda wasn't willing to drop the 2.5T into the CX-5 they certainly would not being willing to increase the weight even more by putting another row in without that motor to balance out the ride. It's like the 2.0 in the CX-3.....not enough. I suspect you would get the same effect with 2.5 and a third row.
And I'm not sure how you'd fit a third row into a CX-5 without a major chassis redesign. I've seen the reviews of people in the back seat on the 2017 CX-5. It's not bad, but the idea of fitting a third row in behind that? Ugh.

*grumbles* I'd give both pinky fingers for the 2.5T in the 2017 CX-5. *falls to his knees* WHY MAZDA! WHY!!!

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense. If Mazda wasn't willing to drop the 2.5T into the CX-5 they certainly would not being willing to increase the weight even more by putting another row in without that motor to balance out the ride. It's like the 2.0 in the CX-3.....not enough. I suspect you would get the same effect with 2.5 and a third row.
And I'm not sure how you'd fit a third row into a CX-5 without a major chassis redesign. I've seen the reviews of people in the back seat on the 2017 CX-5. It's not bad, but the idea of fitting a third row in behind that? Ugh.

*grumbles* I'd give both pinky fingers for the 2.5T in the 2017 CX-5. *falls to his knees* WHY MAZDA! WHY!!!

They could do it for China. People need to realize that the 2.0 or a 2.5L in a 7 seater in China or Japan is more than enough. China is a huge market - and will eventually dwarf the USA (it is larger now). Mazda should try there best to sell specifically to that market.

The US has lost in China. See 10 german cars for every US car. Heck, I think I saw 100 German cars (Merc/BMW/Audi/Porsche) for every Mazda I saw.

Back