ipod

lunchbox16

:
mazdaspped 3 2008
so whats the best hook up you guys have found for an ipod in the MS3?
i had an alpine head unit with a direct connect in my truck. it was great because i could select music from the head unit and keep the ipod in my glovebox.

I just use the AUX port in the center console. It works well enough. I had a set up similar to yours in my old car, and that was so much better.

i just got my car today and have not hooked up the ipod.
does it show on the lcd screen or do you use the ipod to select songs?

you have to select the songs on the ipod unless you get the adapter for the head unit... i thought about getting the adapter but im pretty happy with the AUX

GromAudio IPod adapter is probably the best and the cheapest option for the MS3. You can get it off Ebay and there's a DIY write up on the Mazda3 Forums website.
grom_ipod.jpg

http://gromaudio.com/ipod.html

I bought it and it's probably the best investment I made. You can use the steering wheel controls, it charges your Ipod and it sounds great. Only drawbacks are that it charges the Ipod all the time (even with the car off - may or may not be a drawback), you lose your AUX In capability, and it doesn't display the song info on the factory stereo display.

Last edited:
If you just want audio from the ipod to the stereo with all control from the ipod then use the ACI (input in the console). If you want ipod integration then check out the multitude of options listed in the audio input thread stickied at the top of this forum. Basically your choices come to:

-w/ text display, 3.5mm input
-w/o text display, 3.5mm input
-w/o text display, no 3.5mm input

All of the modules charge the ipod and should start/stop it when you turn the car on/off. Also some of them have a setting where you can still get some control from the ipod vs. the ipod being locked out. If you have a '08.5 model then only the new OEM module will work as the 08.5 HU is different.

I am selling the oem ipod setup for $120 shipped works fine just am changing the radio this summer and am not going to need it. letme know if interested.

im currently looking for one, on the marketplace, here in the forums, but for 120 i rather buy it at the dealer.

now does the oem ipod set up display everything on the screen?
and allow you to use the radio to select music?

now does the oem ipod set up display everything on the screen?
and allow you to use the radio to select music?

No. The OEM module doesn't display any ID3 tag info on the screen, just track time. Also the ipod itself is locked out so everything's controlled through the HU.

No. The OEM module doesn't display any ID3 tag info on the screen, just track time. Also the ipod itself is locked out so everything's controlled through the HU.

Neither does the GromAudio unit. However the IPod is NOT locked out with the Grom unit. You can control the IPod either by the HU or by using the scroll wheel on the IPod. FYI GromAudio unit is $70 on EBay.

i'd like to have the info displayed on the screen or on and alternate screen.
i don;t care if the iopd is locked. in my old set up my ipod was locked and all control was through the radio but it showed sond title, artists, albulm. i could also select playlists and artists through the radio.
i know a lot of that had to do with the alpine head unit. i'd like to try to replicate it as much as possible.
how about these:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=eX-10

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=305250&i=108DP2US&c=3&tp=120

anyone use these???

i'd like to have the info displayed on the screen or on and alternate screen.
i don;t care if the iopd is locked. in my old set up my ipod was locked and all control was through the radio but it showed sond title, artists, albulm. i could also select playlists and artists through the radio.
i know a lot of that had to do with the alpine head unit. i'd like to try to replicate it as much as possible.
how about these:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=eX-10

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=305250&i=108DP2US&c=3&tp=120

anyone use these???

There are three ipod integration modules which will display Id3 info.
-Axxess module, only works with pre-'07 models and connects through the TAPE/MD slot
-New DICE module, only works with pre-'08.5 models and connects through the sirius/CD changer slot
-New Neo Prolink, , only works with pre-'08.5 models and connects through the sirius/CD changer slot

Many people have used the Drive and Play I (you pictured the II) which has fewer features but also costs about $50. All in all it's a pretty good set up and is a bit more functional than the ipod integration modules in the sense that everything is displayed the same way as it is on the ipod, and the controller works basically the same way as the control wheel.

Hey guys, I've got a question too. I had RPM's ipod module for my Protege, which I took out and put into my MS3. Works fantastic on the MS3 except for one minor issue. I had it running into the Protege's glove box, which I thought would work pretty well with the MS3, but the module's wire sometimes makes the glove box open up. Do you guys have any suggestions on a better way to run that wire into the glove box? Also, I have the Bose system if that makes any difference in how it's wired.

Hey guys, I've got a question too. I had RPM's ipod module for my Protege, which I took out and put into my MS3. Works fantastic on the MS3 except for one minor issue. I had it running into the Protege's glove box, which I thought would work pretty well with the MS3, but the module's wire sometimes makes the glove box open up. Do you guys have any suggestions on a better way to run that wire into the glove box? Also, I have the Bose system if that makes any difference in how it's wired.

There's a little removable panel on the back wall of the glove box. If you remove this then you can run the wire through the back and Viola! the door doesn't pop open. If you follow the Mazda install instructions then you take the panel off and then drill a 10mm hole 5mm from the edge of the opening, that way you can put the panel back in once the wire is into the hole you drilled.

Screenshot-untitled.png

Back