iPod or other MP3 player options??

APK

Hey guys, I've just purchased a 5GB iPod mp3 player and I'm looking at options to allow me to use it in my P5.

Right now I have the stock model stereo and CD player in the car with no cassette, so unfortunately a cassette adapter isn't an option. I've also read that the FM transmitters that are currently available are pretty poor solutions as well.

One option I've read about is an adapter which plugs into the CD changer connection and fools the head unit into thinking the ipod is the CD changer on track 1. Has anyone else heard of this or tried it? Does someone have an alternative solution? Any links would be very appreciated!

i have a friend that has an ipod and he had the same problem... what he did was he bought a new head unit its an AIWA w/ the aux. inlet in the front... I'll find out the exact model of the head unit. oh he payed very cheap for the head unit i think somewhere between $75-120

In all honesty an iPod hooked up via either an aux input or fm modulation the sound is just watered down. I did have an iPod hooked up to my P5 via FM modulation plus my other car using aux in on that cd player. Givem that it does work my ears are just picky and it didn't give me good enough sound.

My father in-law did the same thing with his ipod had it hooked up via a cd-changer port and after several weeks he stopped using it and just went back to his old trusty XM radio.

I would recomend getting a headunit that supports mp3 playback you will be much happier.

Try it and see if you like it. It's just been my experience that after you find work arounds to get it to work you could have gotten the real deal for just as much money with better results. Of course just my 2 cents.

What model is the stock stereo/CD Player in the P5?

I agree the sound would probably be much better with a proper head unit, however I like the option of having 5GB of music available to me. Right now I really can't afford to upgrade the CD Player and the Speakers, and IMO the stock speakers are pretty poor.

Between the FM Modulation and the adapter option which is the lesser of the two evils? Which one is easier to hook up?

Last edited:
I work for an Apple dealer and it has been my experience that the FM modulator is the better option. Also remember that the higher the quality of your MP3's the higher quality sound.

One piece of advice...do not buy the Awia receiver! One of the guys i used to work with had me install one in his first gen RX-7 and the thing sucked so bad, with-in a week he bought another head unit that i installed, pioneer i think. In all honesty the awia is no better than the stock unit, and if i remember right my stock unit had an aux input in the front on the bottom right....don't have it any more so i can't double check.

I feel the best way you can go is with a after market deck with a 1/8th inch accessory jack on it. I am a manager at RadioShack, and we sell the tape adapters (crap), and the wireless transmitters (not quite as crappy). The transmitter is called IRock. However, if you get one of our simple 1/8th inch to 1/8th inch patch cords with a deck with that type of input will give you the best sound you can probaly get with MP3

Just getting an FM modulator is the cheapest route. I think you can get em at wal-mart for like 20 bucks. But make sure you get on that'll run off the cig outlet and not just batteries too if you're going to buy one. Since you don't really have a great system, I'd just get whatever works now for the cheapest amount of money. And if you don't like it, you can always take it back to wal-mart. They take anything back.

Hey, I wonder why the MP3/P5's didn't come with an MP3 player?? Maybe someone should ask Mazda why they are false advertising!! Just kidding, is kind of weird though

hey the aiwa reciever was just an idea since i know that he probably spent alot of money on the ipod but u r right now in days u can get the 9000 pioneer series that comes w/ everything ($375) i think

shackmgr6073 said:
Hey, I wonder why the MP3/P5's didn't come with an MP3 player?? Maybe someone should ask Mazda why they are false advertising!! Just kidding, is kind of weird though

Your should be kidding..the MP3 came with an MP3 playing head unit..hence the name...MP3..the P5 owners dont have that option, tho

I say you log on to MiniITX.com and build yourself a nice lil in-ca computer with a 60 gb drive..hell you could go 80 or 100!

The in-car computers are good. But in all honesty nothing gets better then what I have/had for almost 2 years now. Sadley though they no longer make um :'(

I have an EMPEG/RioCAR in my P5 it has a 20gig HD (uses standard laptop drives and can fit 2 drives side by side so easly upgradable to 120+gigs) VFD screen and wonderfull controls. Displays FULL ID3 tags, supports mulitple playlists, can search by artists, album, genere, year etc via remote. Basicaly anything you can do on a computer in winamp or what ever you can do with this thing in your car. Visuals you say? But of course.

These aren't exactly cheap running anywhere from $400-$1000+ It is a standard single din slot. Also require an amp in order to be installed, but who here doesn't have an amp? These things where ahead of their time and I could not live without mine.

It's great having the Top 100 of every year from 1960-2002, plus my ENTIRE cd collection on my EMPEG in my car at all times.

EMPEG/RioCAR
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
Original EMPEG Msg Board

Back