iPhone/iPod connectivity

Rush

:
91 MX-5, 13 ILX
So yes, yes -- I already did a search and the results didn't bring up any overly recent results, so I figured what the hell, I'll try asking again.

I'm soon going to be getting a 2000 Protege ES, which currently has the factory CD and cassette player and radio and whatnot. I've grown very used to just plugging in either my iPhone or iPod in my G35 to be able to listen to my music and that's not something I want to give up.

I'm assuming that the only viable option to make that iPhone/iPod connectivity possible in the '00 Pro is to buy an aftermarket head unit with either an aux or USB input. Yes?

Thanks for the help!

Hi guys!

As the recent owner of a 2001 Protege with the same stock stereo unit Rush described, and a long time fan of the iphone, I am here seeking the same info about upgrading my stereo. I'm not trying to hijack Rush's thread, but if someone could maybe try to explain what's the best way to integrate an iphone with an older Protege it would be a big help to me and probably to others. For example, I recently learned that some head units can control an i-device as long as it's connected to the head's USB port, but can ALL head units with a USB port do this? And of course there's bluetooth, but I have read that there is limited functionality when connected via bluetooth, meaning you can play, pause, skip tracks, etc., but you won't be able to do much more, such as control the phone's Pandora music app. Of course, I know any $30 head with an auxiliary in port would allow me to play my music fromt the phone through the car's stereo system, but that seems awfully low tech to me, lol! I know next to nothing about car stereos except that I need to replace mine because the LCD display is almost completely shot, and I really need it to cooperate with my iphone. Can anyone offer us iphone and factory equipped, older Protege owners any advice or suggestions?

I also have some general questions about the install, specifically going from the double DIN sized radio to a single DIN, and what to do with the extra space left over. Can that be discussed here, or would it be best if I started my own thread about my own stereo specifically? I definitely don't want to step on anyone's toes here, but I really need some help ;-)

Thanks very much for the help!

-Maryjane

There's a few things you can do with the extra space you can go to Mazda and get the mp3 pocket with a lid or most kits will just have a pocket. Not all stereos are iPhone friendly. Depending on how much you have to spend go to crutch field. I got a Sony xplod that's made for the iPod/phone with dash and wire install kit for $170. I like it it's a bit of a pain to tune in but limitless colors is pretty nice to have

I figured there was no real 'easy' fix for the factory stereo, and I looked at the info on that module but I didn't get any warm, fuzzy feelings inside .. so I went ahead and did some research into getting a new head unit. I decided on this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX40/JVC-KD-X40.html?tp=5684

It was the first time I've looked at new head units in years. I love the idea behind a digital media receiver cause I honestly can't tell you the last time I listened to anything OTHER than my iPhone or iPod, and who can complain over $80 for something like that? I looked at a similar model that also included Bluetooth, but it was $40 more and I couldn't justify the added expense since this Protege is gonna be my DD.

And yes, the winter beater once winter arrives, so that my G can hibernate. ;)

Maryjane -- don't apologize for chiming in with your own questions on the same topic! I'd highly recommend taking a look around Crutchfield's website. The description of each head unit will tell you whether or not it's iPhone/iPod compatible and a bunch of other details.

I got my headunit at best buy for 130, its a Sony unit with a USB that works with iphones and ipods.

I do have another question though that's actually related to what Maryjane asked. I'm also going from double DIN to a single DIN, and of course I'd like to get a pocket to fill in the gap that will be created once the cassette player is gone. Do I also have to get the 'support bar' referenced in this thread ..

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814858-Single-DIN-pocket-options

.. or is that not required for a 2000 Protege?

Last edited:
Maryjane -- don't apologize for chiming in with your own questions on the same topic! I'd highly recommend taking a look around Crutchfield's website. The description of each head unit will tell you whether or not it's iPhone/iPod compatible and a bunch of other details.

Thank you! I just didn't want to hijack your thread, but I think we're talking about bascially the same stock stereo system, and it sounds like we're looking for a simliar upgrade. In fact, I'm considering the very same unit from Crutchfield myself.

Good luck, I'll be tagging along to see how you do with your stereo!

-MJ

Does anyone know the specs of these stock sound systems? I've looked through the owner's manual and online, and I can't seem to find that information. Specifically, I'd like to know how many watts the head unit puts out, and if there's a separate amplifier in these cars, or if it's in the head unit? For example, the JVC unit that Rush linked to at Crutchfield says it has a "built-in MOSFET amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)". Is that comparable to what the stock system produces? I'm not an "audiophile", and I don't require ear-bleeding volume levels, but the stock system is quite loud as it is, and I'd like to I'd like to make sure anything new I get would produce the roughly the same volume level. It's nice to have that "high volume" when you have the windows down and the roof open ;-)

Thanks everyone!

-Maryjane

Stock is probly around 15~

It's not what the stereo can put out but what the speakers can handle

Good point. But then just to be clear, the JVC linked to above by Rush easily puts out as much wattage as the stock sytem, right? I would like to first change the head unit in my car, mosty so I get a clock and iphone compatability, and then I can assess whether I need to consider and amplifier and better speakers.

Thanks!

-MJ

Yes my old Buick had a premium(for 94) sound system with 15 rms watts, when I put my xplod (22-25 rms) the sound was much better down low but the speakers could not handle it so when turned up it sounded like crap. If you go with an aftermarket stereo it won't be any louder but will sound much better thanks to new technology.

That make sense?

Yes my old Buick had a premium(for 94) sound system with 15 rms watts, when I put my xplod (22-25 rms) the sound was much better down low but the speakers could not handle it so when turned up it sounded like crap. If you go with an aftermarket stereo it won't be any louder but will sound much better thanks to new technology.

That make sense?

Yes, and that's just what I'm looking for, plus the ability to play music from my iphone, and to actually see my clock.

Thanks again!

-MJ

Hi, Rush!

I'm just curious if your new stereo came yet, and if you had a chance to do the install?

Thanks!

-Maryjane

Hey guys,

I've been following this thread for some time and I thought I would put my 2-sense in. I have a 2000 LX Protege and it has a similar setup to what you guys got. I put in a single DIN head unit (Sony XPLOD something something) and I had an old single DIN pocket just laying around. Sad thing about my protege was that the DIN slots didnt have any mounting so all I did was drop them in. Not very assuring but it did work. I now have the headunit and pocket in the DIN slots.

I will say that I could not find any wiring info for the head unit. I had to use a multimeter and my test audio system to see what wire went to what. Painful process but was pleased to have my head unit working. I did make a diagram of the wiring. If anyone wants it let me know ill post/upload/PM it.

Recon1991

Back