Interior Plastic Scratches

:
2020 CX-5 Premium
I've noticed over time that the plastic cover over the gauges is badly scratched. Same with the plastic around the shifter. Just wiping the dust off these areas with a microfiber cloth leaves scratches. Is anyone seeing the same thing and, if so, have you found a way to remove them?

You'd have to (very carefully) buff the scratches out with a mild plastic polish like Meguiar's PlastX or Novus plastic polish. It can be done by hand, but it would best be done using a small polisher or drill with polisher attachment.

Another option would be removing the plastic pieces and painting them or wrapping them in vinyl. You can also order overlay kits that go over the plastic pieces without having to remove them from the car.

Yes the piano black finish on decorative panels is a magnet for scratches - wifey's rings, kids, etc. I got fed up with polishing out scratches - I used Dremel and pads very carefully so as not to fade finish then decided to cover them with stainless covers (cheap items off eBay) and for what they cost if damaged I will throw away and renew. 😏

Back