Intake questions

bradboyd80

:
'12 Velocity Red MS3
I've got an Injen CAI (for the Gen1) sitting in my garage right now. About a week ago, someone told me that running a gen1 intake on the gen2 can jack up my fuel trims. I've done enough research to understand how the fuel trims work. I did hook up the dashhawk before I sold it, and if I'm remembering correctly, my LTFT was something like +8 or 9 under acceleration, and +13 or so at idle. I've seen that 8 is normal, and I've seen 10 is normal, not sure which one is right. Its just confusing me because I ran the intake for roughly 3k miles and the car ran fine without a CEL. Is there a hidden problem that's caused by doing this? I know I could just post it up for sale and buy a new one, but if it works just fine, then why bother (not to mention, I probably wouldn't get enough to buy a new one)? Can anyone explain it better to me?

Is that from experience? Or based on logic? Sorry, not trying to sound like an ass. Just wondering what you're basing that on. I've heard its because the MAF sensor housing is larger on the gen2.

I wish I had saved some datalogs when I had the dashhawk, but unfortunately forgot to.

The engine from the Speed6, Gen1 Speed3, and Gen2 Speed3 are all identical. The only difference being the computers. The only issues you would have is routing the CAI in the engine bay. But there is way more room in the Gen2 engine bay. So I am pretty darn sure you are good to go. The best way to figure it out is to slap it on there and see for yourself. Since day one I have been throwing other car's aftermarket parts into my Gen2 and I havent seen a single issue yet.

Well I was running that intake for roughly 3k miles without an issue. But had a guy tell me it was a bad idea because the sensor housing was larger than the gen2 and thus the intake isnt designed for those specs. And once I actually measured the stock intake vs the Injen, the stock intake (post-sensor) actually is a bit larger. So I can kind of see what he's talking about. But even then, it tapers back down and matches the CAI. So I'm wondering if that is where the claims come from. I guess I'll just slap it back on there and if I have problems, then I'll take it off. Thanks man.

I mean either way, if you still have the stock TIP, the MAF wont see much more flow cause it can only go so fast into the TIP before it backs up into the MAF and CAI.

Back