Intake Manifold vtcs remove?

hurleyblink

:
2003 Protege ES
ok so i got a spare Intake manifold in today the upper portion.. So question is the actuator for the vtcs do i leave it on or take off? and/or what do i do with the vac line if off? intake_manifold_difference (3).JPG

and is it hard to remove just the upper part of the intake manifold. I just dont want to mess with too many hoses and stuff i know i have to play with the injectors a bit but..

I'm pretty sure there's a good how-to on this work on the forum. I'm looking for it but my internet is quite slow here. Perhaps someone else can help too....

Yeah there are just not very clear to actually make out.. LoL from looking at it i just cant make it out maybe i should do a clear and concise one..

Shoot a PM to Lewis7789. He's done it quite a few times, and has gotten it down to a science. He may or may not have taken pictures last time he did it. Regardless, he can help quickly and easily. Tell him I sent you.

I do just have 1 more question though do i just leave that green/white ball thing on the bottom of manifold there

Last edited:
Got your PM, mate.

I've done the VTCS removal on two P5's. I removed all the vacuum lines before painting the intake mani's then just replaced everything exactly where it was. Honestly, I don't remember a green/white ball on the IM for the P5's but it won't hurt reinstalling it on there. I also left the VTCS actuator (circled in your pic) bolted up but it doesn't need a vacuum line to it anymore since it isn't functioning anymore. Some people said you have to leave ALL the vacuum hoses attached to it or you will get a CEL. I simply bought some little rubber vacuum caps from Autozone (they were like $2 for a pack of 5) and used two of them for the VTCS solenoid on top of the intake mani to cap off the vacuum lines to the actuator. I can get you some pics if you need them.

Also, when you're putting the intake mani back on, use a new gasket and make sure you tighten those bolts down pretty tight or else you will get a lopey idle from a vacuum leak. That's what I had until I cranked the bolts down. It's been running fine for about 6 months.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

well i got fed up with trying to remove it i got the fuel rail out now my car bogs at idle and dies could it be injector rings

Well your car will bog at idle if it doesn't have a fuel rail. (Sorry, I'm a smartass)

Did you tighten the 12mm intake manifold bolts down good and tight? Especially the one underneath by the throttle body that's almost impossible to reach? If your injector rings aren't seated correctly you will see/smell fuel coming from them.

Double check you got the fuel lines pressed into their housing tightly and nothing in kinked or broken. Can you hear any hissing like a vacuum leak? Does your car idle at all or just die right away? Do you have a CEL?

i dont understand why u are having soo much trouble with this. to remove just the vtcs butterflies up front all u have to do it take out the butterflies by removing the screws. unbolt the actuator pull the rod out. seal up the hole on the left side of the mani. i used quick steel, its a 2 part putty u kneed together and it hardens just like steel and can even be drilled and tapped. u can find it at walmart.

Latest posts

Back