Installed TomTom vs. $150 Garmin w/ lifetime maps

respy78

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/ AWD
I just received a 10% accessories coupon in the mail. I have my eye on a cargo tray, all weather mats & the nav. My mom has a garmin w/ lifetime maps which I've used & really like. Amazon has similar models for about $150.00. As much as I'm annoyed by the wires & mounting the device each time I use it, I'm not sure I'm ready to pay an extra ~ $350 to get rid of them + $ for map updates. I've also read on this forum that TomTom services Europe much better than the US. Are there any advantages of having the installed TomTom rather than the Garmin other than the lack of cords & mounting?

I just received a 10% accessories coupon in the mail. I have my eye on a cargo tray, all weather mats & the nav. My mom has a garmin w/ lifetime maps which I've used & really like. Amazon has similar models for about $150.00. As much as I'm annoyed by the wires & mounting the device each time I use it, I'm not sure I'm ready to pay an extra ~ $350 to get rid of them + $ for map updates. I've also read on this forum that TomTom services Europe much better than the US. Are there any advantages of having the installed TomTom rather than the Garmin other than the lack of cords & mounting?

It may be hard to hear a hand held unit over the radio where the factory nav goes over your speakers for route commands.

I prefer the portable units because they are cheap, easy to update, and easy to transfer from car to car. The wires can get annoying but I don't use it daily. Most factory nav is crap anyway and you're stuck with it unless you replace in with an aftermarket head unit. Its never perfect and technology changes quickly. When obsolescence sets in, it's much easier to replace a portable unit. You can use your mobile phone.

I prefer the portable units because they are cheap, easy to update, and easy to transfer from car to car. The wires can get annoying but I don't use it daily. Most factory nav is crap anyway and you're stuck with it unless you replace in with an aftermarket head unit. Its never perfect and technology changes quickly. When obsolescence sets in, it's much easier to replace a portable unit. You can use your mobile phone.

I agree.

Since I only use the GPS maybe once or twice a month it was not worth it for me to spend the extra cash for the Nav package. Also you can find some pretty good deals online for portable GPS, I bought a 5” screen Garmin with lifetime updates and traffic for $75 on sale at Target and for very quick directions your smartphone is your best friend.

The only reason I considered the built in unit is because I don't like leaving portable ones out to tempt thieves and it is a pain always taking it down and hiding it when I stop and putting it back up when we get back in.

Sometimes it is handy to have it right there and ready to go. Like if we are in a place we are somewhat familiar with but want to find 'that coffee shop that is around here somewhere'. With a portable one we have to dig it out, plug it in (the batteries are always dead when I want to use it) wait for it to find the satellites (which always seems to take longer when you are moving). All those steps and waiting is a bit of a pain.

If the installed unit didn't lock out the input when you were moving I'd have bought it. Too bad they don't at least make it fancy enough that it will allow input if it senses someone in the passenger seat :)

Thanks for all the great points! I still haven't decided, but I guess I don't need to decide today. I wasn't aware that it locked input while the car was in motion!!

Last edited:
I really like my installed unit. Having had a window smashed in on another vehicle to steal a gps I much prefer the built in option, I also paid for it up front as an add on so it's built in to my payment.

I would think the theft problems are not what they used to be. GPS units used to be pretty expensive just a few years ago, but that's not the case now. Most consumer units are under $200 retail, some are under $100.... and they are common as peanut butter. If they are still a hot theft item, I may have to start hiding mine again, even though it's probably not worth the cost of a map update. lol

I like having the standalone GPS unit. I don't want to pay a premium to build something into the car if I don't have to. What if you trade up to a new car in a couple years? What if you own more than one vehicle? I would rather have one nice GPS to keep with me no matter what car I'm in. The power cord can normally be run neatly without being in the way or "unsightly", with a little effort. Besides, I like having my GPS located up at the windshield where I'm looking. In the CX5, I put mine to the left of the steering wheel, over the front dash speaker.... works really good for me. Cord is run across the seam of the dash, and down to the 12v... with a clipped in place at the center a/c vent.

Besides all that, there are times I prefer to use google maps on my phone, etc. I don't need technologies built into the car that may be outdated before the warranty is up. When I bought my 06 Mazda5, they had a $2000 nav system option. Holy crap, what a waste that would have been... zero return on investment and dollars down the drain. I wonder if anyone actually uses a bulit in nav on a car that's 5+ years old?

What I really like about Mazda's nav option is that it's not their own stupid map program, and the cost is reasonable... cheaper than I expected and it does make it tempting. It's genius to use a brand name GPS system, so you get a real competitive product. I'm not sure if other mfgs are doing this, but it's the only way I would consider paying extra to have it.

Last edited:
Google maps on my iPhone works awesome, and the new Apple maps app in iOS6 looks like its going to kick the crap out of everything else.

So instead of buying a $500 GPS, buy a $200 phone...and it kicks ass as a phone as well!! Oh, and Suri's voice recognition works amazing!

i wonder how much the navi is to get it installed AFTER buying your car .

The nav is $500. From what I've read, installing it is just a matter of sliding the SD card into a slot on the dash and anyone can do it.

Back