Installed auto dim, compass, temp. rear view mirror in my 02 P5

:
02 Mazda P5
What up fellas I just recently installed a auto dim, compass, temp rear view mirror. This was a pretty easy mod and only four wires to mess with a sensor and the mirror itself. I will get pics up as soon.

Here are the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20121230_140016.jpg
    IMG_20121230_140016.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_20121230_140010.jpg
    IMG_20121230_140010.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_20121230_135932.jpg
    IMG_20121230_135932.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_20121230_135828.jpg
    IMG_20121230_135828.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_20121230_135821.jpg
    IMG_20121230_135821.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 514
Mind the first two pics tried getting pics of the sensor but for some reason it was to bright outside. The mirror is out of a 99-07 silverado, but can also get it out of a Tahoe, suburban,Yukon, or avalanche. Harness is connected to the mirror and the sensor is in the front grill between the headlamp and turn signal on the passenger side. The two wires coming from the sensor go connected to the two wires going to the mirror and the mirror has the ground wire and a power wire that I ran to the remote from the HU, so when the radio powers on the remote turns on the mirror as it would turn on the amp for the subs.

Got It the mirror at local junk yard, wires and sensor included for $4.99. The part number for the sensor is gm#15035786 and I'll get a part numder for the mirror soon.

I have the Mazda (Donnelly) auto-dimming/compass/temp with turquoise display that I added to the car but a much cooler one is the one I put in my truck. Gentex341.....it is auto-dimming/compass/temp/homelink/maplights and is amber display that matches the dash in the truck. It would also match the car dash lights better too. Homelink is cool so you can leave the garage door opener at home.

I just got one hut it has 7 wires ..anyone have a how to?
My 5 function one only had 5 wires. Does that one you got have rr camera hookup? That might explain the extra wiring. Neither of mine have the backup camera display in them.

i figured it out and it is a nice upgrade. For those who want to do this is the future and get the 7 wire one like i did it is super easy. here is how
1 get mirror from local junk yard make sure to take the sensor that is located by passenger headlight behind the grill. I got mine out of a 1999 surburban it has the temp auto dim and compass also make sure u take the plug for the mirror and as much wire as u possibly can.
2 I installed the sensor behind the grill i used the hood latch bolt in the middle to hold the sensor in place then ran the wires behind the drivers headlight area and across the fender into the cabin through the firewall.
3 i then took off the drivers A pillar cover and the drivers door rubber molding and kickpanel along with the sun visor
4 remove old mirror by inserting a small flathead screw driver into the slot and releasing the inside clip. if u dont have a small flathead u can use a small allen key or a coat hanger just stick it in and push till the mirror slides
5 install new mirror by sliding it on and tightening the torx head screw onto ur existing mirror bracket
6 the plug for the mirror has 7 wires pink-black-light green -grey-pink-dark green with black stripe-and brown you only need to use 4 wires which are the 2 outer sides on each side the pink is positive black is ground and the green/black and the brown go to the sensor just match up the wires. the other 3 wires grey pink and light green can be removed by using something pointy and removing it from the plug by pushing prong down and out.
7 run the wires along the headliner and down the A pillar to under the dash where u can connect with the sensor wires. i plugged into my fuse box for power n grounded it to a bolt by the fuse box.
8 plug in the plug into the mirror and enjoy ur newly installed mirror and never be lost again thanks to the compass or blinded by bright lights since it auto dims to a nice green tint(mj)
IMG_20130221_164929.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
bump, because its a cool mod! Saw this mod from your signature (you had posted a comment to member jperera)...going to do this...always list of mods to do to my 2002.5 P5...I call my car the "Art Project"...never ending

I actually scored another Gentex341 awhile back like in my truck and am in the middle of it being installed on windshield but haven't swapped out the wiring harness yet. It has compass/temp/auto-dim,homelink and map lights. The lighting is amber just like dash. Will post pics when install complete. Chasing a lean code and getting it inspected/registered was a higher priority but has been done.

I actually scored another Gentex341 awhile back like in my truck and am in the middle of it being installed on windshield but haven't swapped out the wiring harness yet. It has compass/temp/auto-dim,homelink and map lights. The lighting is amber just like dash. Will post pics when install complete. Chasing a lean code and getting it inspected/registered was a higher priority but has been done.

Nice score! Those Gentex units are awesome, wish I had the $$ to be ballin with one :( Definitely gonna look around my local junk yard though, been meaning to try to do this mod for months

Nice score! Those Gentex units are awesome, wish I had the $$ to be ballin with one :( Definitely gonna look around my local junk yard though, been meaning to try to do this mod for months
Check this guy out and see if he can hook you up. Got mine thru him and also wiring kits. Even tho the 341 is older mirror he was able to score and of course has many more models............

rearviewmirrors@csinet.net
http://www.bobsmirrors.com

He's also on facebook & ebay. Here is link to thread on Tacomaworld with all his links in first post.............

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...for-the-2009-15-tacomas-other-toyotas.328083/

Check this guy out and see if he can hook you up. Got mine thru him and also wiring kits. Even tho the 341 is older mirror he was able to score and of course has many more models............

rearviewmirrors@csinet.net
http://www.bobsmirrors.com

He's also on facebook & ebay. Here is link to thread on Tacomaworld with all his links in first post.............

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...for-the-2009-15-tacomas-other-toyotas.328083/

Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it! I just left him a message so hopefully he can hook me up with a good deal

I'll be removing my harness from the oem Donnelly mirror and finish mounting and wiring in the 341 this wknd. I will post up pics of it once completed. I will be happy to rid myself of the garage door opener on the visor and have more features and matching lighting. That turquoise of the donelly really clashes with the amber dash lighting. Also want to check if replacing the map light bulbs in the mirror with LED would be an option. Here's a pic of the 341 in the truck - same one that is also going in the car.........

gntx341_01.jpg

Last edited:
So do you guys just yank the stock mirror off and glue on the GM part, or does the GM mirror fit the Mazda mount?

I'd like to do this mod, just trying to get my ducks in a row before I head out to pick and pull.

This one is requiring a bit of shimming for the set screw to do it's job but using the oem wedge on the glass. That is part of finishing the mounting. Mirror is up on the windshield but moves a bit if I grab it to readjust. It fit the Toyota wedge perfectly in the truck. The Mazda wedge seems not quite as wide as the Toyota one but it'll work out OK. You could buy my Donnelly with harness if you wanted hint hint. I know it fits the Mazda wedge perfectly clipping in place just like plain oem did....but it isn't homelink, just compass/temp/autodim

I removed the original mount off the glass with heat heat gun to melt the glue, then glued on the new gm mount let it sit for a day or so and ran the wires mounted the mirror and was good to go

Well, got mounting secured with addition of rubber shim along with stainless piece, mirror is mounted solid and adjusted where both visors clear it. I didn't feel like routing new temp sensor thru dash and all so I just clipped the old temp sensor wires inside the cabin and connected them to the new harness temp wires. Also reused the pwr/grnd wires the same way. I did save 2' pigtail connection for old mirror. Only other connection that was needed was a constant. Found a hot empty relay hole in the fuse box and used a slip on connector on the relay spade from another wiring harness and spliced it into the new harness where the constant just plugs into fuse box in it's own spot. Bundled up extra harness wiring in side panel of dash and put it all back together. Mirror works great, opens both garage doors just like it should. Did not use white trigger wire for map lights connected into dome wiring. They work off switch on mirror only since the dome and footwell lighting is good enough for entry lighting. Pics when monsoon allows........

Last edited:
Back