Installation of CarPlay Upgrade Kit on 2017-2018 CX-5?

:
21CX5 Signature
Hi,

Did anybody follow this guy's DIY installation instructions video of CarPlay and Android update kit and did install everything successfully? In the video he does not disassemble the entire center console and his install looks much simpler and faster.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I've done this installation and I removed the center part (knob). I believe his install is better and faster. You can see him wire fishing the line at around 11:19. His way is definitely better/easier.

If you are nervous about doing this, watch different videos so you can have a better idea. Then go back to this video and follow it. I think I had my laptop next to me when I did my installation so I could follow step by step.

You'll be fine, not a bad mod. Just take your time and make sure to use the right tools, plastic panel removers for sure. No screw drivers. Very easy to scratch the surfaces. Again, just take your time. PM me if you need help.

I've done this installation and I removed the center part (knob).
I believe his install is better and faster.
You can see him wire fishing the line at around 11:19. His way is definitely better/easier.

If you are nervous about doing this, watch different videos so you can have a better idea. Then go back to this video and follow it. I think I had my laptop next to me when I did my installation so I could follow step by step.

You'll be fine, not a bad mod. Just take your time and make sure to use the right tools, plastic panel removers for sure. No screw drivers. Very easy to scratch the surfaces.
Again, just take your time.
PM me if you need help.
Thank you, I will try to do it following instructions in this video (I think dealer charges to much for install $400.00), also I don't see the guy in video using foam on cable, is that okay?

If I'm not mistaken, I recall two wires having some type of insulation. But they're thick enough so they'll be protected. Again, watch other videos with installation steps and that way you'll get more comfortable with it.

And yes $400 its a lot of money.
Good luck with it and let us know how it went.

If I'm not mistaken, I recall two wires having some type of insulation. But they're thick enough so they'll be protected. Again, watch other videos with installation steps and that way you'll get more comfortable with it.

And yes $400 its a lot of money.
Good luck with it and let us know how it went.
I’m not so much worried about wires being insulated as I’m worried of noise while driving

I’m not so much worried about wires being insulated as I’m worried of noise while driving
Silverboy, thank you for all the reassurance I have installed CarPlay in my 2017 cx5 following video link in this post took about an hour, everything works great just can not figure it out how to add all my apps on iPhone ( like Alexa) to CarPlay display.

Silverboy, thank you for all the reassurance I have installed CarPlay in my 2017 cx5 following video link in this post took about an hour, everything works great just can not figure it out how to add all my apps on iPhone ( like Alexa) to CarPlay display.
After you turn the car on, the radio will come up as well. Plug in your Iphone and look at your phone, you need to unlock it.
You might also sig a pop up sing asking you to always enable Carplay, just say yes on you Iphone.
Carplay will open on the radio screen. I know that Waze, Pandora and even XMradio apps will be there, but I think that't because I have them in my Iphone.
I'm not sure about Alexa since I don't use it.

OHH, I forgot. I think you have to download an update as well.

I'm almost positive that you have to do the update, I totally forgot about it.
There's ways you can download it online (some Mazda forums) or you can take it to the dealership and tell them that your radio keeps rebooting itself. That way they'll do the update for free.

It's been a while since I did the installation. I'd suggest to watch other videos.

I just found this information

The firmware MUST BE UPDATED FIRST before beginning the installation. If an older version of the CMU software is being used, the CarPlay/Android Auto-compatible USB hub may not be recognized. The software must be v70.00.21 or later. If not be sure to update the software. Once the CMU has been attached to the CarPlay/Android Auto-compatible USB hub, the software cannot be updated. Installation on any vehicle other than intended is not covered by Mazda Parts Warranty. Mazda Parts Warranty available in the USA only. Mazda strongly recommends having installation performed at a Mazda dealership.

After you turn the car on, the radio will come up as well. Plug in your Iphone and look at your phone, you need to unlock it.
You might also sig a pop up sing asking you to always enable Carplay, just say yes on you Iphone.
Carplay will open on the radio screen. I know that Waze, Pandora and even XMradio apps will be there, but I think that't because I have them in my Iphone.
I'm not sure about Alexa since I don't use it.

OHH, I forgot. I think you have to download an update as well.
After initial set up everything works. What update I need to download?

This is the part that you need. But I think you can get it cheaper at fleabay.

On the link below from Amazon, scroll down to the Product description and the Customer questions and answers as well. Really good information there.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
You can get parts in a lot of places, Mazda dealer for sure, eBay (this is cheaper option then a dealer for sure) , Amazon, the upgrade kit will include two wires and a usb hub.

I'm almost positive that you have to do the update, I totally forgot about it.
There's ways you can download it online (some Mazda forums) or you can take it to the dealership and tell them that your radio keeps rebooting itself. That way they'll do the update for free.

It's been a while since I did the installation. I'd suggest to watch other videos.

I just found this information

The firmware MUST BE UPDATED FIRST before beginning the installation. If an older version of the CMU software is being used, the CarPlay/Android Auto-compatible USB hub may not be recognized. The software must be v70.00.21 or later. If not be sure to update the software. Once the CMU has been attached to the CarPlay/Android Auto-compatible USB hub, the software cannot be updated. Installation on any vehicle other than intended is not covered by Mazda Parts Warranty. Mazda Parts Warranty available in the USA only. Mazda strongly recommends having installation performed at a Mazda dealership.
I did infotainment firmware update before installation, I think now it has now software ver 70.00.335.

I did infotainment firmware update before installation, I think now it has now software ver 70.00.335.
Did you installed the new box (usb port and map SD card port) and cables?
When you plug in you phone, what happens?

Have you tried a different phone?

Did you installed the new box (usb port and map SD card port) and cables?
When you plug in you phone, what happens?

Have you tried a different phone?
First I have upgraded firmware in the infotainment unit then I have installed cables and usb hub (box where the SD card goes), as mentioned before CarPlay is working great now I just don't know how to add more apps to CarPlay. I have followed the installation video that I have added at the beginning of this post, and it worked

First I have upgraded firmware in the infotainment unit then I have installed cables and usb hub (box where the SD card goes), as mentioned before CarPlay is working great now I just don't know how to add more apps to CarPlay. I have followed the installation video that I have added at the beginning of this post, and it worked
I know that you can add the apps on your phone like waze, pandora, XM radio, etc. Then when you plug in your phone, you'll see them on the radio screen.

I know that you can add the apps on your phone like waze, pandora, XM radio, etc. Then when you plug in your phone, you'll see them on the radio screen.
Only certain “preapproved for CarPlay” apps will show up on your display. Those mentioned are probably included. Others may not be. Install away on your phone and see what shows up on your car screen.

Only certain “preapproved for CarPlay” apps will show up on your display. Those mentioned are probably included. Others may not be. Install away on your phone and see what shows up on your car screen.
How can I see all the apps on my phone on CarPlay?

Is it possible to make all the apps I have on my phone show up on CarPlay/infotainment display?

Back