I'm going to buy one

First dealer with a sky blue GT for 21,700 has my business. You guys think that's a good price? that's the price that truecar quoted.

truecar was the place I got my quote too. If you're financing, some dealers won't give Mazda's special rate with that quote though. So just be prepared to work out a deal. Best of luck :)

That would be a very good price IMO, but unless you really want/need one now I'd wait a bit to see when the newer Skyactive motors will be put in the 5.

Last week I rented a 2012 Hyundai Sonata while on a business trip and was VERY impressed with the car overall, in particular the 200hp/186ftlb 2.4L, direct injected 4. Smooth, 33+mpg highway, 6sp auto shifted great.
The 2.5L M5 motor is underpowered (not that I really need a faster accelerating minivan :)), thirstier, relatively rough, and overall rather ancient in comparison.
I don't regret buying our 5 two months ago, but when you stack it up against other new cars it really deserves a thoroughly modern motor (like the SkyActive) to compete.

Last edited:
I'd say get a CX-5 if you're absolutely wanting to buy something right now. If you can wait until the 2014 model year then you'll probably be able to get the SkyActive powertrain in the Mazda5. The fuel economy figures should be roughly the same as the CX-5: 26/33 6MT and 26/32 6AT. I agree about the Duratec 2.5 in the Mazda5 being pretty underwhelming in every possible way; it's easily the weakest part of the whole package.

CX-5 is a good choice if you can forego the 3rd row, sliding doors, and the low price of the 5. Mazda still has the 3 and other models to redesign, so the 5 might have to wait a while for a full SkyActiv iteration. For me, a 6spd diesel Mazda5 would be the ultimate family vehicle. Maybe they have to fix those damn vibrating middle row seats for it to truly be ultimate :D

That would be a real good price if you can get it at that price. I would have loved to see the Skyactiv engine with six speed manual in GT trim level - if that comes out, I'd probably will get it!
First dealer with a sky blue GT for 21,700 has my business. You guys think that's a good price? that's the price that truecar quoted.

Well, I bought it. I really needed a car now as my old minivan was on its last legs (2001 Chevy Venture with 160K miles). We got the GT and it's a big step up from our old car. I paid 21,900 for it so I think the price was pretty good. And I got the color my kids wanted. Yeah I really wanted the Skyactiv Engine on it but I'm guessing that is two years away at the earliest. I was really hoping for a 7 seater Ford C max but alas that was not to be.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Haven't bought a new car in a LONG time so it's pretty weird to look at the undercarriage and the engine compartment and see everything so clean and new.

And another thing is that I am of the opinion that fuel economy is more a function of aerodynamics and car size than actual engine efficiency. If you go on fuelly and browse cars, the newer cars don't have DRAMATIC fuel efficiency increases over the older models with older engines. If you look at the Elantra and Sonata, the mpg have been pretty stable for the past decade despite Hyundai touting super efficient engines in the latest models. Granted the new models are slightly larger. I just doubt that the SkyActiv engine is suddenly going to make the Mazda5 a 35+ mpg vehicle. For it's size and capacity I think mid 20 mpg combined fuel economy is very respectable.

Wow, that's a really good price. I think I paid about $2000 more than that price I still thought I was getting a bargain! What color did you get in? With all the amenities such as HID, heated seats etc., you'll be glad that you went with the GT. I like mine a lot. Some of the things I would have like to seen (which this car has a lot of potential) is more engine/transmission choice such as Skyactiv and Diesel with six speed on the GT trim level.
Well, I bought it. I really needed a car now as my old minivan was on its last legs (2001 Chevy Venture with 160K miles). We got the GT and it's a big step up from our old car. I paid 21,900 for it so I think the price was pretty good. And I got the color my kids wanted. Yeah I really wanted the Skyactiv Engine on it but I'm guessing that is two years away at the earliest. I was really hoping for a 7 seater Ford C max but alas that was not to be.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Haven't bought a new car in a LONG time so it's pretty weird to look at the undercarriage and the engine compartment and see everything so clean and new.

Congrats!
I know what you mean about the shock of a clean, new undercarriage and engine compartment... I almost want to take things apart on ours just because there's no rust or grease to deal with LOL
I too was really hoping for a Ford C-Max, what a shame they're not bringing that over to the US....

Sounds like a great price. Did they ad $750 destination and/or $199 doc fee or was that $21,900 'out the door' (+taxes)?

$2800 more than my 'sport' but you got a lot of goodies. I still would have likely gone for the Sport if offered a GT at that price purely because of the manual trans but bluetooth, Sirius radio and heated seats sure would have been nice.

Post up pics when you get the chance! Curious how the sand leather interior looks.
best of luck with it!

Thanks. Actually the blue car has a black leather interior. I was wanting the sand leather but the black does look nice..

that was 21,900 + tax title license and a 55 dollar doc fee. the 750 destination was already included in the 21,9000

just out of curiousity. what's the rpm when cruising at 70mph in the 5speed AT vs the 6speed MT? mine seems to be revving too high at cruising speed.

Congrats!
I know what you mean about the shock of a clean, new undercarriage and engine compartment... I almost want to take things apart on ours just because there's no rust or grease to deal with LOL
I too was really hoping for a Ford C-Max, what a shame they're not bringing that over to the US....

Sounds like a great price. Did they ad $750 destination and/or $199 doc fee or was that $21,900 'out the door' (+taxes)?

$2800 more than my 'sport' but you got a lot of goodies. I still would have likely gone for the Sport if offered a GT at that price purely because of the manual trans but bluetooth, Sirius radio and heated seats sure would have been nice.

Post up pics when you get the chance! Curious how the sand leather interior looks.
best of luck with it!

I really like the Clear Water Blue Mica exterior and Black Leather interior with red pipings on the seats; it just looks so nice. Just applied some leather conditioner on the seats and now it feels so luxurious LOL. I think on the long run, it's better with black I think because sand will stain in the long run and it will be hard to remove it once it's soaked in. I had this problem on the Odyssey.
I was wanting the sand leather but the black does look nice.

Back