I wanna build my mp5

I need help and ideas. I want to build my engine to push more hp/ run smoother. I need any input from bolt one to even parts I would have to take the engine apart for. Any input would be amazing please and thank you.

Thank you I’ll check some of them out and see what I can do

A lot of those links in the Engine section should be what you're after. Many include detailed installations and writeups, as well as short and long term impressions of the specific products used. If you don't find what you're looking for there, try searching the entire forum using the Search button at the top right hand corner of the page.

Decide what your power goals are and eventual use for the car is. Once you start chasing power with these cars it becomes very expensive very quickly. I tell you from experience if you're expecting anything past 300hp it's extremely cost prohibitive and time consuming. Once you build the engine then you have to spend the money on a standalone to properly run the car. Then from there you need to build the transmission to handle the power and so on and so on.

Now, if you're looking for a modest bump in power and keeping the car NA, the easiest route would be an a Mazda Mp3 ecu and bolt on goodies such as cold air intake, maybe even the Mazda MP3 intake manifold, possibly headers, exhaust. I will say when going with any 4-1 header they usually sound awful with most exhaust setups. The racingbeat (stock msp or racingbeat aftermarket) axleback is the only tolerable combo with those 4-1 manifolds imo.

For my the sweet spot is going for the Mazdaspeed Protege turbo swap with bolt ons and calling it at 180-220hp w/ stock boost. The swap is far more involved but also far more satisfying. Plus you get a car that makes all the right noises and the increase in torque is very notable. Even more so than with the NA MP3 ecu swap

Decide what your power goals are and eventual use for the car is. Once you start chasing power with these cars it becomes very expensive very quickly. I tell you from experience if you're expecting anything past 300hp it's extremely cost prohibitive and time consuming. Once you build the engine then you have to spend the money on a standalone to properly run the car. Then from there you need to build the transmission to handle the power and so on and so on.

Now, if you're looking for a modest bump in power and keeping the car NA, the easiest route would be an a Mazda Mp3 ecu and bolt on goodies such as cold air intake, maybe even the Mazda MP3 intake manifold, possibly headers, exhaust. I will say when going with any 4-1 header they usually sound awful with most exhaust setups. The racingbeat (stock msp or racingbeat aftermarket) axleback is the only tolerable combo with those 4-1 manifolds imo.

For my the sweet spot is going for the Mazdaspeed Protege turbo swap with bolt ons and calling it at 180-220hp w/ stock boost. The swap is far more involved but also far more satisfying. Plus you get a car that makes all the right noises and the increase in torque is very notable. Even more so than with the NA MP3 ecu swap
What if I were to do one of the 2009 Mazda speed engines and transmissions?

The Mazdaspeed MZR engine is quite large from memory, I don't think it'll physically fit in the P5 bay without cutting out the firewall.

You'd need custom engine mounts and driveshafts at a bare minimum, plus the ECU and fuel systems to get it working. Then add a brake upgrade and suspension stuff and you're probably spending on the swap as much as a nice, built Mazdaspeed3

As much fun as the MZR would be your best bet for reliable and easy power is a MSP turbo swap

Not knowing your knowledge or financial situation I would suggest a gen1 or 2 speed3 if you want easy power. However I think the p5 out handles those cars. If you've got some time knowledge and money swap in a speed protege motor. A good upgrade is the mp3 ecu for a stock type engine. Itll give a smoother power band and a little bump in power but you must use premium fuel.
Now if youve got skills,time,and money you can build a motor. Installshield i believe was his name here built an n/a engine with good power and also Ice88 had a build. Brianmp5t did a turbo build on here. Bikingpro, Lankykiwi, and another guy in Hawaii did builds with a supercharger however to utilize that the a/c unit needs to be removed.
Another option is removing the FS engine and swapping in a KL series v6 from a ford probe or suitable mazda. Lewis7789, and 31n007 are 2 that come to mind that successfully did that. There are alot of other guys who built their engines using these options so look at the build section for those.
It comes down to what you want, how much time and money do you have, and how reliable do you want your car to be.

Back