I thought we didn't have live traffic on our Navi?

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
Explain this? No, it doesn't show traffic on screen but...
da82c3e61a7ae86f2365c0e0f1f0232f.jpg

"A better route has been found under the current traffic conditions. Would you like to check it?"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've seen this once before and was assuming "current traffic" actually refers to historical traffic data, given that live traffic is not available in 16.5, but I could be wrong.

Even if it's "historical data" that at least indicates some type of data is being exchanged. There was no traffic when I got this but in an area that has high traffic during the day. I didn't check the route because I was trying to get a pic while driving. But it could have been "there's no traffic right now so I've got a better route"?
Who knows. But I do know...This Navi is anything but useless.

The description of historical traffic data in the manual mentions "locally stored" and "historical speed info". That makes me believe the statistics being collected are based on your own car, but I might have missed something.

my NB1 does that based on current traffic jams. It also shows them on the map pretty accurately.. honestly I don't get what people are complaining about with the nav so much. I generally only use my nav for actual navigation when I'm in a new area or going to a new address any other time it's just for traffic/or upcoming curve reference.

my NB1 does that based on current traffic jams. It also shows them on the map pretty accurately.. honestly I don't get what people are complaining about with the nav so much. I generally only use my nav for actual navigation when I'm in a new area or going to a new address any other time it's just for traffic/or upcoming curve reference.

You're right. I still miss TomTom NB1 on the 2015 CX-5: quarterly & punctual delivery of quarterly map updates, live traffic, etc. Big disappointment after moving to 16.5 in this aspect.

You're right. I still miss TomTom NB1 on the 2015 CX-5: quarterly & punctual delivery of quarterly map updates, live traffic, etc. Big disappointment after moving to 16.5 in this aspect.

didn't realize those features were missing from the 2gen nav

We get live traffic in the uk, but it requires a subscription after a trail period (I have a 3 year deal), and requires a smart phone with wifi hotspot, so any signal loss means no live traffic.
The TT was better as it has a built in sim card.

Yes, since 16/16.5, no more TomTom but MZD Connect. No more live traffic (although the feature was advertised).

Live traffic on MZD connect is available here in Aus, you get a 3 month free trial, then its subscription based. It requires a connection to your mobile phone and will use a small amount of data.

Cost here is about $A62 for 1 year and $119 for 3 years.

Last edited:
Agree. But we're all different...And some of us live someplace that need such a feature, I guess. We don't have many traffic issues in NE Ohio. Only when they're shooting a movie downtown. Like twice a year, at best.

Thanks for your nice post to teach us more in this field. After reading on here, we can learn more in this topic.

I saw this for the first time too on Monday, on the way back from dropping someone back at Love Field. Interesting...

Explain this? No, it doesn't show traffic on screen but...
da82c3e61a7ae86f2365c0e0f1f0232f.jpg

"A better route has been found under the current traffic conditions. Would you like to check it?"

Yes, since 16/16.5, no more TomTom but MZD Connect. No more live traffic (although the feature was advertised).

The live traffic on our quirky Tom Tom is actually pretty good in live traffic reports. Per this forum I originally blew it off and ignored it. Sure enough there was a traffic accident on my route in which the navi unit warned me and provided me with a different route. Got stuck a good 30 minutes extra in traffic because I ignored it..

Its ironic because CX-5 is a city CUV, perfect power agility to handle anything upto 60 mph. Never a true touring in the real sense and never the best choice for 75+ heavy driving.
Still they messed up navi.

The live traffic on our quirky Tom Tom is actually pretty good in live traffic reports. Per this forum I originally blew it off and ignored it. Sure enough there was a traffic accident on my route in which the navi unit warned me and provided me with a different route. Got stuck a good 30 minutes extra in traffic because I ignored it..

Besides live traffic another TomTom feature I miss a lot is the ability to show both current speed and speed limit, side by side. 16.5 can't show current speed at all, unless someone figures out, and if so please teach me how.

Besides live traffic another TomTom feature I miss a lot is the ability to show both current speed and speed limit, side by side. 16.5 can't show current speed at all, unless someone figures out, and if so please teach me how.

I also miss the current speed display, searched everywhere in the menu to see if there was an option but no luck.

I had live traffic on my 2014 and I have it now.

Me too works great. You can set it to ask you like the original post or just have it automatically change your route. I set mine to ask as I like to test it to see if my original route is still jammed! Seems to be pretty accurate.

Back