I think it's time for new summer tires...

DrummerJim50 said:
If you were near michigan I could get you a deal on tires where I work.

For a budget price I think the BFG G-force sport are best. Some of the others you've talked about are actually all season tires, like the Falken Ziex, so they give up some handling for light snow traction. The BFGs are summer only and give you better handling because of it.

Also look at Sumitomo tires as well.

Unfortunately i am in Massachusetts...

but thanks for the info on the tires... That helps a lot...

Proxes 4

I got my Proxes 4 for $73 ($85 each after mount/balance) and I love them. They stick great during the summer and in rain, and they are all season. Progressive break away and good road feel. A bit soft in the sidewall so I keep the air up at 37psi all around (plus helps with the Chicago potholes). I have an ATX so I don't have to worry about launch grip as much. I expect to get about 30K miles out of them with some (at 23K now) autox and daily hard charging. I rotate very 5000 miles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again, and I may put them on our minivan when the time comes as its heavier weight will overcome the only shortfall I've found in the Proxes 4- it's launch grip during ice and snowy conditions. But in snow at crusing speed they are very stable.

I think the Falken 512's may be better in the snow, although I haven't tried them). NeoGen's are starting to get a following. I'd say pick 2 or 3 and then call at least four shops for prices. Even places directly across the street from each other can have much different prices. Also ask how much for mount and balance if you brought in the tires (having bought them online).

For a summer tire I would get the Toyo T1-S (because I love the Proxes 4 so much), or the ES100's. If you can't afford a set of winter tires, the top all season tires I personally would choose from would be (in no order):
Proxes 4
Falken 512's
NeoGen's

Last edited:
I've also tried the Yoko AVS ES-100s. The traction is the best I've had in the "cheaper" tires. The treadwear..I really cant say. I push the crap out of my car, I drive for a living, and I scrubbed the heck out of those things from cornering, braking, etc. You could probably get 25k for sure out of them, and a normal driver might last longer.

I switched to Kuhmos because they were cheaper and I wanted to try them....never again. As soon as I can, it's back to the AVS's.

SciFiMan said:
I got my Proxes 4 for $73 ($85 each after mount/balance) and I love them. They stick great during the summer and in rain, and they are all season. Progressive break away and good road feel. A bit soft in the sidewall so I keep the air up at 37psi all around (plus helps with the Chicago potholes). I have an ATX so I don't have to worry about launch grip as much. I expect to get about 30K miles out of them with some (at 23K now) autox and daily hard charging. I rotate very 5000 miles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again, and I may put them on our minivan when the time comes as its heavier weight will overcome the only shortfall I've found in the Proxes 4- it's launch grip during ice and snowy conditions. But in snow at crusing speed they are very stable.

I think the Falken 512's may be better in the snow, although I haven't tried them). NeoGen's are starting to get a following. I'd say pick 2 or 3 and then call at least four shops for prices. Even places directly across the street from each other can have much different prices. Also ask how much for mount and balance if you brought in the tires (having bought them online).

For a summer tire I would get the Toyo T1-S (because I love the Proxes 4 so much), or the ES100's. If you can't afford a set of winter tires, the top all season tires I personally would choose from would be (in no order):
Proxes 4
Falken 512's
NeoGen's

Thanks for this rewiew. Like i stated on the first page i already have winter tires mounted on my stock rims. I am looking strictly for summer tires to mount on my 16" slipstream. I'll see if i can find any toyos for this price, however i am looking to spend no more that 80 per tire...

Not to thread jack or anything, but has anybody every heard of Yokohama Parada Spec-2 tires? THey look pretty sweet, and they're only $70 bucks each on TireRack. I need to get new summer tires soon too and these look pretty good. Got lots of positive feedback too. Just wondering if a 205/40/16 or 205/45/16 tire will fit well on the stock 16in wheel though.

well yoks are great from what i understand, but i want them to last a bit longer. Yoks have preatty low thread wear rating.... Which i can't afford to have with my current money sittuation. So i like the g-force a bit better as their thread wear rating is 340

Oh and that size tire will work just fine on the stock rim. I am running 205/50/16 winter tires on the stock rims as we speak, so 205/40 or 205/45 will work just as well. I prefere thicker rubber as protection from MA potholes....

Last edited:
i didn't get them yet... And the last time i checked tirerack had them.... So i don't know....

blynzoo said:
I've also tried the Yoko AVS ES-100s. The traction is the best I've had in the "cheaper" tires. The treadwear..I really cant say. I push the crap out of my car, I drive for a living, and I scrubbed the heck out of those things from cornering, braking, etc. You could probably get 25k for sure out of them, and a normal driver might last longer.

I switched to Kuhmos because they were cheaper and I wanted to try them....never again. As soon as I can, it's back to the AVS's.

I second the Yoko AVS tires. Tires.com has them at a good rate,and I even had the dealer install them. Awesome in rain, never had a traction prob, and have 20K on them now. I will buy them again when these wear out. 205/50/16's. I cannot stress how much I love these tires!

tyusha said:
i didn't get them yet... And the last time i checked tirerack had them.... So i don't know....

Tirerack is out of stock of the 205/50/16's but it looks like they have the 205/45/16's.

Back