I Need to Know About HID's for the Mazda5

Katner

:
2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring
I've been lingering around these forums for a long time. After coming so close to buying a 5 time after time, we've finally bit the bullet and purchased an '08 GT with Luxury Package. Too bad the Canadian version doesn't come with the HID's the Grand Touring models have in the US.

I did a little searching on these forums and found some basic info on HID's but nothing comprehensive. I'm not sure if HID's are a topic worth stickying or not, but it'd be nice to have all the info in one place. Some of my questions are:

1. What kits are popular for the 5 and which would you recommend? and is it worth spending $300, $400, or more when you can find these...?
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123677161&highlight=Xenon

2. I've have no experience with circuitry, mechanics, or lighting, but I can follow a fairly complex set of instructions if it's well layed out. Do these kits come with them or is there another resource I can go to to help me install these?

3. Can I convert my DRL's to HID as well? How much does this complicate things?

ALSO: What about LED for my DRL's

DRL's make the installation more complex for sure, and down here in the US I didn't have to deal with it, so can't offer any help there. However I'm almost certain I saw it covered here before if you want to search around a little bit.

Besides the DRL complication, HID's are relatively easy to install. I got mine from here and they have a lifetime warranty. They sell in high quantities to get these prices, $70 --> http://ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html

From my searches looks like DRL's are just plug and play as well. The DRL's run off of the low beam bulbs behind the projectors so I'm assuming they just get less juice during the day and get a full dose in the dark. People are saying that the HID's don't like the less intense daytime setting so that may mean I have to run my lights during the day which is no big deal I suppose.

Thinking about going with a bixenon kit to get HID highbeams. I can't think of anything bad about this idea except that the HID's take a moment to get up to intensity. But you're never using them in oncoming traffic so I shouldn't need the directional beam of the projector.

Ideally I'll switch the DRL's to my fogs as others have done, as long as the fogs become operational by the switch again once the low-beams are activated.

TSX Projector

Do it once and do it right. I have an H7 HID kit on my 08 Touring. It is looking OK; however, there's still some glare which annoying the upcoming traffic. Furthermore, the cut-off line doesn't look good comparing to the one from the TSX projectors. I am planning to have a retrofit done this holiday. A pair of TSX clear lense projectors cost me $120 shipped. i am not quite sure how the fitment of those TSX projectors to the 5 housing. I'll let you all know the outcome.

Do it once and do it right. I have an H7 HID kit on my 08 Touring. It is looking OK; however, there's still some glare which annoying the upcoming traffic. Furthermore, the cut-off line doesn't look good comparing to the one from the TSX projectors. I am planning to have a retrofit done this holiday. A pair of TSX clear lense projectors cost me $120 shipped. i am not quite sure how the fitment of those TSX projectors to the 5 housing. I'll let you all know the outcome.

Please, please do. I'm really curious about this. I finally picked up my H7 kit and will probably drop them in before the end of the week. I'll be interested to see yours though.

You do have to wire the HID's into the headlight wiring. Its not a plug and play, but its pretty easy once you know which wire to tap into. If you just plug them in, when they are running on DRL, the HID's will flicker and they can damage you ballast because the voltage is lower. To wire the headlights in to work off your auto headlights, purchase a relay kit. I bought mine off the Xenon store for 25 bucks. Use the wiring instructions that came with the kit.

The signal wire that you have to wire in has to be wired into the signal wire for your turn signal. It is the grey/black wire from the running lights.
There are three wires in the group, one pink/black, grey/purple and grey/black. Just splice in the signal wire. See picture attached.

This will run your HID's just like your regular auto headlights. You will not have DRL's. Have not had time to figure that out yet.(headbang)

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG00295.jpg
    IMG00295.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 161
IME, I respectfully disagree. I have heard this argument about HID's in non-HID projector housings time after time, and while the science behind it may be legit, the difference in the end result is negligible IMO. I'm curious how you feel the cutoff is inferior in your 5?

I had major issues getting my HID's to look right in my halogen projectors, until I discover they simply weren't seated correctly. Once that was accomplished they were fine. The beam pattern on the roadway is perfectly even, and there is very minimal peripheral glare. Admittedly, I did tweak the cutoff line a bit lower and I never get flashed by oncoming cars.

That being said, I only say my opinion with this so other's aren't scared to attempt the basic kit swap. I'm hoping it works out for you, and I'd be interested in how it turns out with the TSX housings. You have some stones to attempt this truly DIY project... good luck :)

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, for those in the USA and have a current MY Grand Touring, don't you already have HID?

Also, are the headlights from Grand Touring really all that different from the Touring/Sport that have Halogen?

Instead of retro-fitting, wouldn't a headlight swap from the Grand Touring be easier?

Just asking?

You do have to wire the HID's into the headlight wiring. Its not a plug and play, but its pretty easy once you know which wire to tap into. If you just plug them in, when they are running on DRL, the HID's will flicker and they can damage you ballast because the voltage is lower. To wire the headlights in to work off your auto headlights, purchase a relay kit. I bought mine off the Xenon store for 25 bucks. Use the wiring instructions that came with the kit.

The signal wire that you have to wire in has to be wired into the signal wire for your turn signal. It is the grey/black wire from the running lights.
There are three wires in the group, one pink/black, grey/purple and grey/black. Just splice in the signal wire. See picture attached.

This will run your HID's just like your regular auto headlights. You will not have DRL's. Have not had time to figure that out yet.(headbang)

Would you be able to run the DRL signal to your fog lights so essential they become your DRLs.....

Latest posts

Back