I hate whoever owned my car last.

nickbachman

:
03 MSP Black Mica
So i go to get some new tires, as the ones i have now seem to be made of ice. i get to the tire place, and do a quick check to notice i obviously have wheel locks. i spose i shoulda noticed that earlier...anyhow, i thought "no big deal, i'll just get the lug key out for the nice gentlemen." i pop the trunk, lift up the cover and see no tool bag. "interesting," thought i, "that the tool bag is nowhere in sight." i looked in the manual, and it said that the tool back is located right next to the spare, where there was clearly no bag when i checked. upon closer inspection, i think maybe perhaps it could've slid underneath the spare tire. funny that mazda would put it there and allow such a thing to happen when you need the tire iron to get the bolt that holds the spare down off...i decided i'd like to check and see if it had slid under the spare tire, so i call upon the use of my brother's tire iron, straight from the trunk of his 97 prelude. how silly of me to think it would fit. then i thought "must be a fluke that it doesnt fit..." and tried the one from my girlfriend's grand am. no such luck there either. finally i just up and tell the guys at the tire place that it may be under the spare, and they should check. so they pull it in, put it on the lift, remove the spare to find ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. we searched every crack and crevice of that trunk and came up empty handed. i had to take my car and leave new-tire-less. my question is, WHO THE HELL TAKES OUT THE TOOL BAG?!? MY CAR HAD 3800 MILES ON IT WHEN I GOT IT. WHO EVEN USES ANYTHING FROM THE TOOLBAG IN THAT TIME?!? NOW I HAVE TO CALL MAZDA AND GET ALL THAT s*** AND DRIVE AROUND ON THE ICE WITH TIRES THAT MAY AS WELL BE MADE OF ICE THEMSELVES. GOOD NIGHT.

My wheel lock was in the neoprone manual folder when I got my car. I would check in there or the bottom of the glovebox. I don't use my tool bag anyway...I bought a floor jack & an X-style lug wrench, which I keep in my trunk. I have seen too many cars fall off of oem jacks & you can't get any torque on the oem lug wrench.

hahaha, where do you live and how much did you pay?!!! I "traded in" my blown, vadalized MSP for my new P5. The dealer told me they would repair my car and sell it....I live in B'ham AL....I'm sure the dealership may have tried to ship it off somewhere, but there should be some sort of evidence of damage.

I've always wondered where my piece of s*** ended up!! not anythign against you...but I hope they sold you my car without disclosing any of the damage that was done!! I'm going to track down my old VIN number!!

That sucks. Had that problem a bunch of years ago. Went to get 4 new BFGoodrich Radial T/A's mounted on my SS, only to discover I had lost (read: misplaced) my wheel lock key. Two hours, an air chisel (or something) and $50 later, they were off. What a pain!

Last edited:
Damn that sucks. If it helps mine was rolling around under the passenger seat. Go figure

i live in iowa, and bought the car in mn. it was first bought at morries mazda in minneapolis, and has had 1 owner. lucky i didnt get your piecer.

You don't need an air chisel. I called a local locksmith, who drove to my house and picked the wheel locks for $40.

mspdfreak said:
You don't need an air chisel. I called a local locksmith, who drove to my house and picked the wheel locks for $40.
Dude, you're about ten years too late. And, uh, how do you "pick" wheel locks?

Well, seeing as how there is no actual lock "mechanism" on a wheel lock, it technically would not be "picking" the lock, now would it. Did your wheel locks have an actual key that was inserted into them? Like a house key, or the ignition key? More than likely, NO. So, while a locksmith may have gotten them off for you, the locks weren't "picked". At least not in the tradiditional manner. Which actually requires the use of, well, picks. My question doesn't seem so odd, now, does it? :rolleyes:

sidpro5 said:
Well, seeing as how there is no actual lock "mechanism" on a wheel lock, it technically would not be "picking" the lock, now would it. Did your wheel locks have an actual key that was inserted into them? Like a house key, or the ignition key? More than likely, NO. So, while a locksmith may have gotten them off for you, the locks weren't "picked". At least not in the tradiditional manner. Which actually requires the use of, well, picks. My question doesn't seem so odd, now, does it? :rolleyes:
our wheel locks(lugs) have a special design in them.........with out the proper socket..(which insert into the design) they wont come off.

MazdaSpeeder00 said:
our wheel locks(lugs) have a special design in them.........with out the proper socket..(which insert into the design) they wont come off.
As did the ones on my Camaro. That doesn't answer my question, though. I understand how they work, as I have them myself. I just didn't understand what kind of wheel locks could be "picked" by a locksmith. But thanks anyway, for dumbing that down for me.

All I know is he used some form of putty that he molded in the open end of a standard socket, then in and around the lug nut. It hardened, he removed it, then proceeded to take them all off. I don't know what the material was, or how it didn't break, but it worked. As far as the term "pick", it was simply a way easily describe the process....and to dumb it down for people like sidpro5.(evil)

Hey, thanks, ya bastard! That's pretty cool though. I wish they would've been able to do that when mine were stuck on. But next time, instead of dumbing it down, just tell it like it is, dude. Some noob might call a 'smith to get his wheel locks picked, and they'll laugh at him. Spread the knowledge, ya know. God knows I apparently need some.........(cheers)

No problem...I just thought a locksmith would know when you call them. But, I guess some old geezer might not. Anyway Nick, good luck getting them off!

Well hopefully I never run into that problem again. But if I do, at least I know a capable locksmith can handle it now. The whole air chisel thing is kinda cool though. A violent solution to a simple problem.........(evil)

Yeah I remember when I lost the wheel locks in my old car. I got a flat tire and had to get it towed because I couldn't change it.

The Mazda dealer has a univeral one that should get them off. At least mine does here in Louisville. There are only 16 different patterns according to them. This info was given at my last oil change, when I had them rotate the tires. I started to tell them where the key was, and he told me not to worry about it since they have the universal one.

Back