How would you treat this wheel corrosion?

Hi.

I got this 2017 CX-9 in August 2021 with the 18" wheels. For that winter I put winter tires on them and then stored them from April 2022 to early December as I got good condition used 20" OEM wheels and allseasons. These 18s just had their second winter under my ownership. No idea if previous owner drove them in the winter. Last year I did not notice these spots but it's possible there could have been some.

Would you simply clean these with Sonax or something like that before storing them or should I perhaps be sanding those spots down now and applying some kind of coating before storing? As these will continue to be winter wheels, I don't need perfection. But would like them to be decent.

Just wanted a couple of suggestions to point me in the right direction before I watch some tutoials on Youtube.

Appreciate the help.

where to upload photos for free

The only way is to sand down to clean bright metal, prime, and topcoat with a durable enamel.

Just have them dipped, sandblasted and powder coated. I had a similar issue on my old, now traded 17 GT and because I had the wheels off the car already it only cost $600. I went a little darker but still kept them grey with a clear top coat.

1682509716282.png

Well, I dremeled a few of the spots and ordered a paint pen from the dealer. They only have three options for wheel paint pens: gunmetal, black metallic and aluminum. They said based on the VIN, mine is aluminum. As you can see, it's not a good match.

Now I'm trying to look at dupli color paint pens for whatever car and see if I can find one close to the colour of these wheels. Don't need exact, but something close. They are my winter rims so not the end of the world.

Back