HOW TO: Replace Cabin Air Filter

davegutz

:
2007 MS3 Sunlight Silver, Rays MS Upgrade Wheels
Introduction:

The maintenance interval for the cabin air filter is 30,000 miles. I ordered a replacement WIX #24482 on line at www.nationalfilters.com for $13.56 + $7.55 S&H (to New England). The appearance was identical to and the fit was exactly like the OEM that came out. It took 2 weeks for the order to be shipped. The hard part was figuring out how to get the old ones out. Following is what I did on a 2007 MS3.

This procedure is one of the more difficult things to do. You will be twisted like a pretzel trying to remove parts under the dash. There are a lot of sharp edges and screws in awkward places. It took me about 1-1/2 hour to do this.

Somebody else videotaped the procedure and posted it on you tube, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=GKhVXslh6Is

I found the hardest part is understanding where exactly the filters are. They are right behind the fan in the center of the passenger compartment. This puts them almost on the floor and back against the firewall. They are inside a plastic housing and accessed from the right side in the passenger foot well. There are lots of things in the way.

Tools needed:

Headlamp
10 mm box end wrench, for battery terminal
#2 Phillips screwdriver, for many screws
12 mm deep socket with 12" extension, for fuse box mount bracket nuts

Step 1: Disconnect negative battery terminal

You will be disconnecting almost all the circuits in the car when the fuse box is unmounted.

Step 2: Remove top trim

To remove the top trim (the long piece that surrounds the clock/audio display and covers the top of the glove box, use your fingers to grasp it in the middle and pull straight out. See the photo. The right end tucks under so be careful not to pull there. You will need to tuck it back in coordinated with pushing to reinstall the trim.

Step 3: Remove kick panels

The right passenger kick panel overlaps the glove box and must come out. There is a plastic rivet in the middle of it. Grab the center pin of the rivet by pinching with your finder nails and pulling it out, bringing the rivet body with it. Grab the top edge of the panel and lever it straight back. It will disengage a retainer pin then you will have to lever it up and back to free it from the bottom cover piece.

The left passenger kick panel is held with just one plastic rivet in the middle that is removed in the same way as for the right panel.

The fuse panel kick panel cover comes off by grabbing the rear top edge and pulling down. Once it's free slide it back and off.

Step 4: Remove glove box

Empty the box. Remove the two screws at top. See the photo. Grab the top lip and pull straight back, releasing several retainers. You will have to stop before removing the box to unscrew and remove the box light.

Step 5: Move the junction box

The electric junction box is in the way when the filters are slid out. Remember to disconnect the negative battery terminal. The service bulleting referenced later says to wait at least one minute before doing anything more. Unscrew the two retaining thumb screws allowing the box to drop down on it's hinges. Release the three electrical connectors that are on top. see the photo. Swing the box down all the way to expose two mounting nuts on the box's mounting bracket. Remove both nuts with the 12 mm socket. Pull the whole mess off the firewall and push it nicely down and right away from the center console. This part is difficult but does not have to be perfect. It is difficut because it is attached to the carpet and to other wire connectors. That is ok because you will need to reposition it frequently while jockeying the filters in and out.

Step 6: Uncover the filters

The Mazda service bulletin in the link below shows some diagrams, that are better than any pictures I could take, to help you find and remove the filters.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...H-4xXHP5NCGfayJSg&sig2=c1xOl7rjUyC6lxecDtsa3A

Regarding the bulletin's instructions, I found I did not have to remove any of the electrical connections to the white plastic end plate. I just had to remove the four screws that mount the white plate to the filter housing. I even left the black sensor installed.

Step 7: Replace filters

Note how they came out, especially fore and aft in the window. It's hard to see the mounting grooves in the housing. If you cannot remember which filter is which refer to the photo. The top one comes out last and goes in first. It is the one with the foam on top. See the photo for orientation. There are ramped lead-in flanges on the bottom of it for the lower, second filter to slide into.

Remove and replace the filters.

Step 8: Assembly

Assembly is the reverse. Remember that the top trim piece tucks into the right side and that must be coordinated with pushing into place.

Attachments

• topTrim.png
    topTrim.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,778
  • gloveBox.png
    gloveBox.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,785
  • removeGlove.png
    removeGlove.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 3,177
  • removeFuseBracket.png
    removeFuseBracket.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 1,943
  • oldFilters.png
    oldFilters.png
    181.8 KB · Views: 1,751
I did this a couple months ago on my son's 3. You're right, it was a major PITA. I think I still have some lingering spinal effects ;) I was hoping it would help his car cool better with the new filter design, but the improvement was marginal at best.

Just wondering... are you a smoker? It'll give us a metric for replacing the filter that's from 30K miles non-smoking.

Last edited:
Holy Balls

that is a nice youtube how to,

I was trying to figure out if the things existed info was like searching for nessie

there is a speedy 3 on this forum if it is te same person they need credit for a signifigant how to

mazda emgineer that came up with this one needs to join the chevy engineer that came up with the monza 2+2 sparkplug changeout ritual

both getting a 22 behind the right ear face down in a georgian swamp

I am a non-smoker. The filters were pretty clean at 30K miles. You could hold them up to the light and see quite well through them. In fact I've set them aside for possible re-use.

The climate in New England is not very dusty and there are few gravel roads. I was not having any problems with feeling the AC, either. The reason for erring on the side of preventive maintenance was concern over getting my allergies riled up.

A friend who has a Subaru shared a similar story about his cabin air filter.

Last edited:
I am a non-smoker. The filters were pretty clean at 30K miles. You could hold them up to the light and see quite well through them. In fact I've set them aside for possible re-use.

The climate in New England is not very dusty and there are few gravel roads. I was not having any problems with feeling the AC, either. The reason for erring on the side of preventive maintenance was concern over getting my allergies riled up.

A friend who has a Subaru shared a similar story about his cabin air filter.

only one I ever did was on a honda element

stone cold easy

Or this tutorial thread. It has all of the necessary info on how to do it yourself.

Just replaced the cabin filters and man did it make a difference on how much air was coming through the vents. After 45K, the filters were pretty clogged. Fortunately nothing went wrong, but I failed to disconnect the battery. I thought about it only after I unplugged the connectors on the fuse tray. Other than that, it was a fairly simple process. One that I would not pay a dealership to do for me.

This is an outstanding "How to". The instructions were such a snap from the video that I did the whole job in < 15 minutes. Really appreciate the time and effort spent making the video...

(drinks)

Sorry if the video did not help you out, i thought it was a universal repair, perhaps you need to refer to you manual for specifics.

lol. u posted the same link in other forums. why are u posting this video if it doesn't apply to mazda3 owners and then reply telling people to consult the owners manual?
This is an outstanding "How to". The instructions were such a snap from the video that I did the whole job in < 15 minutes. Really appreciate the time and effort spent making the video...
It is a good walk-through but it's still pretty daunting for many people and a real PIA.

lol. u posted the same link in other forums. why are u posting this video if it doesn't apply to mazda3 owners and then reply telling people to consult the owners manual?

It is a good walk-through but it's still pretty daunting for many people and a real PIA.

Perhaps I just got lucky. But I confess I did read, re-read and re-read the instructions several times. I have also dealt with pulling the center console apart before so I am familiar with removing/installing the little screws and nuts in those areas.

Just did this. Took about 45 minutes all told. A couple of steps were a pain in the ass. Plus, i was going off of memory of this thread, so a couple of things weren't done completely right the first time ;)

Thanks for the write-up.

Did this today, overall not nearly as bad as I was expecting up until getting the actual cover off where the filters are located. I didn't see that 4th screw up in there and started pulling and tugging at the cover with one screw left in. Needless to say I spent about 20 extra minutes just trying to get that screw out, but after that it was a pretty smooth process.

I am pretty sore from twisting around under the dash trying to wiggle that last screw out. I'm 23 and I'm sore from working on a car, so this should tell everyone how tight it really is under there.

What would happen if you just took them out and left them out? Cars didn't used to have cabin air filters. Would leaving them out hurt anything in the HVAC system?

Latest posts

Back