How to remove license plate bulb cover on 2016 Mazda CX 9

deluxman

:
2016 CX-9 Signature trim
Has anyone had any luck removing the bulb cover on this car? I tried the method of prying the side using small flat screw driver but no luck. Im afraid I might break the cover. If someone had successfully able to open it, please share your method. Thanks in advance!

Yes it was easy. You won't brake it..... I used a large screwdriver and had no issues.
I did it multiple times to try different leds

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes it was easy. You won't brake it..... I used a large screwdriver and had no issues.

So which direction do you pry the sides? Is it towards the bulb and do you have to use 2 screwdriver to pry both sides at the same time?

Last edited:
One screwdriver on outer side and ory towards bulb it will pop off

Try this. Plate Bulb Removal.JPG

Curious, why are you guys needing to remove the cover on a 2016? The bulb should be lasting many years.

Curious, why are you guys needing to remove the cover on a 2016? The bulb should be lasting many years.

Most likely to swap them for LED bulbs like I did.

To the OP, I would also wrap a towel or cloth around the screwdriver while popping off the cover ... it's very easy to slip off and gouge the paint.

Has anyone had any luck removing the bulb cover on this car? I tried the method of prying the side using small flat screw driver but no luck. Im afraid I might break the cover. If someone had successfully able to open it, please share your method. Thanks in advance!

I have the same problem. One year trying without luck. (boom01)

I have more than 11 months trying to swap the ugly yellow bulb for the led and I can't. I try all videos etc and no luck at all. I replaced this bulb in my old cx9, nissan xtrail, honda accord, ford focus and volvo s40 in a second. I can't in the cx9 turbo.

because the exterior of the cx9 is very futuristic and nice, but the rear bulb looks pretty outdated and yellow. When you swap this light with led, looks different (and you have the benefit of led - less heat, less consumption, longer lifespan).

I have more than 11 months trying to swap the ugly yellow bulb for the led and I can't. I try all videos etc and no luck at all. I replaced this bulb in my old cx9, nissan xtrail, honda accord, ford focus and volvo s40 in a second. I can't in the cx9 turbo.
Your not trying hard enough.....

Anyone knows which kind of led bulb to get? I purchased one for T10 type and it is too long; it touches the cover.

Back