How to Remove Interior Trunk Handle (2019 CX-5)?

Hi everyone,
I’ve done a very dumb thing. As I was unloading groceries from my 2019 CX-5, the interior cup handle in my trunk fell to the ground. I use this little piece all the time to close the non-power liftgate so I quickly picked it up and popped it back in. But it is in UPSIDE DOWN. I’ve tried everything to get it out (screwdrivers, butter knives, sheer force) but it won’t budge. It’s also useless since the smooth side is now on top.

Has anyone else done this? How do you remove this little piece without (further) scratching the car? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here you go. :)

Attachments

• LIFTGATE RECESS REMOVAL INSTALLATION.pdf
    155.4 KB · Views: 172
I’ve tried everything to get it out (screwdrivers, butter knives, sheer force) but it won’t budge.

Lubricate and apply pry tool.

If that is not enough, you can use an actual trim removal tool to apply more leverage. $6.29 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

61gHRaQCTZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Try the above simpler methods posted by BWJ and Chocolate.
If you still can't get it out, youre gonna have to take the interior panel cover off and then push it out. If youre unsure how to remove the panel, go to a junkyard and look at some salvage cx-5 to see best where all the screws and attach points are located so you dont bust them off when removing the panel.

Try the above simpler methods posted by BWJ and Chocolate.
If you still can't get it out, youre gonna have to take the interior panel cover off and then push it out. If youre unsure how to remove the panel, go to a junkyard and look at some salvage cx-5 to see best where all the screws and attach points are located so you dont bust them off when removing the panel.
Yikes! At that point I may just take it to the dealer. Surely they can get it out, right?

Yikes! At that point I may just take it to the dealer. Surely they can get it out, right?
I don't understand why it fell off in the first place, perhaps it was never fully snapped in place or a tab is broken. Never heard of this before but here's my advice; if you have access to a heated garage it may prevent the plastic part from breaking or use a hair dryer to warm it up before prying it out. If you break it, it's probably cheaper to buy a new one than going to the dealer (hopefully it won't take 2 months to get one!). Too bad Mazda didn't design it to fit one way only i.e. trapezoidal shape instead of rectangular but all the ones I've seen on other makes are rectangular. Good luck and let us know the outcome. ;)

Back