How to keep dog hair contained?

The CX-9 is great..has lots of room, and can carry a lot of cargo - including my nefarious mutt that sheds an ungodly amount of hair. White hair, the thin straight kind that weaves its way into carpeting to not be removed by even the stickiest of rollers.

My Weathertech mats came in this week, including a rear boot tray that goes all the way to the back of the 2nd row. Awesome. But I still need a way to shield the back of those seats because she likes to snug up against there and hang her head over the top. The hair won't stick to the leather but the back of those seats is like a hair magnet.

Some ideas:
  • Cut textured stiff rubber w/ velcro on the back to stick to the seats
  • Somehow fasten a similar material over the carpet texture
  • Drape something over the top and along the back and tuck it beneath the boot tray.

I know there's no way to keep this car completely immaculate (another reason I want to install an inverter - no good 12v vacuums out there), but the cleaner I can keep it, or the easier it is to clean - the better.

How do you keep your furry friends from hairing up the whole damn back of your cars?

Our German Shepard / Lab mix is the same way. Not sure why he sheds so freaking much, especially this time of year when it is getting colder!

Weather Tech seems to contain most of the hair, but otherwise, we just vacuum frequently in the car to avoid the tumbleweeds.

This is in my Protege mind you but I have like a blanket/sheet that I throw across the sheets. I've made holes for the head rest to prevent it from slipping. They make these types of blankets for automotive applications (they have hooks, clips, and bands to aid keeping them in place) but I find that they don't do much for keeping the carpet clean. I find that the sheet is more versatile because I can tuck it in between the moldings and the sill plates to keep it in place thereby effectively covering up all my carpet in the back seat. Perhaps you can do something similar to the back of your CX-9.

That's the other thing that sucks: no easy access to a vacuum (hence my other thread on where to locate an inverter). Otherwise it's a big deal bringing out the 100' extension cord and running it around the house and out a 2nd floor window (we have a condo in the city).

The tumbleweeds don't bother me, it's the crap that gets stuck in the carpeting. Maybe I'm just too anal - I just don't like my cars to look like dog palaces on wheels.

I've seen those seat protectors but my wife is particular about having it look like the back is cloaked in a duck hunting vest.

I was looking into those Weathertech pet barriers with a bottom extension panel to keep the dog from going under it and enabling me to put the barrier further back, providing a buffer area behind the seat. They are pricey though; about $85 on amazon plus another $40 for the additional panel. Anyone use these before? I don't want it to mar up my headliner...

I ordered the Weathertech unit w/ one extension panel. It should arrive in the next week; we'll see how it fits. I'm hoping it also keeps the Weathertech cargo mat from sliding around in the back..my dog thinks it's fun to roll against the back of the 2nd row (I have a towel there) to try to get comfortable, and it buckles the mat. Should have gotten a black dog instead of a white one!

We had hoped that the sand interior would mask our greyhound's light brown fur. But no luck, the cargo area is lined with black whichever interior color you choose. Which means I'm out there with a rubber bristled brush every couple of weeks trying to clean up.

Back