How To: Fogs On/ Daylite Running off (Canada)

i have a canadian p5 and i dont know if i wana do this mod because im not to good at all this electrical s*** and might mess up something. can anyone tell me how to just totaly disconect the fogs and wire them in as aftermarket fogs just like if i bought fogs a switch and conected them to the battery or a power source. im not sure what to do with he wires on the fogd like how to hookthem up just like a simple on/off switch. im not to woried about leaving my lights on ther bright yellow and i would notice getting out of the car

Awesome How-to. Did the wiring today on my 02 P5 took about 25 mins. so that I can stop the flickering for my hids, but I need some kinda washer for fill in the grab on the H7 bulbs

The purpose of this thread is turning off the DRL (the lights that turn on when you lower your handbrake) and be able to turn on the fog lights without turning the headlight switch on.

Therefore if you have a stock protege by pressing the fog light switch during the day your fog lights will not go on unless the headlights switch has been turned on.

I've done the mod and thanks Bumble G it looks so sweet! I've only got one question, what is the new switch supposed to do? Because I can't figure out the difference either it's on or off, maybe I missed something...? I didn't start the car though, just tought about that

Last edited:
Bit of an outdated thread but....
I've followed every bit of the instructions and my fogs don't seem to be working? I've gone over the wiring again and again and I can't seem to find any mistakes. Any ideas?

Old tread, new mod.

Yes, this tread is old but let's face it: our cars too now... I just did this mod today and everything is awesome. Everything seems to work fine: brake warning light, fog, DRL (no more).

I took time to print the first pages of this How-to and the two schematics (Before & After). I did everything exactly like the plan said and, Boy, Bumble G did a great job! To make things easier, I also took out the driver seat (4x15mm bolts and a fun connector) and the center console (6 screws and the shifter knob). I was lying on my back inside my car, now let's talk about easy access!

I've also included some over-exposed pictures about the principal units we're talking about here.

Here you have the link for the driver side foot well, looking up. You can see what a DRL module looks like and what a Fog Switch Relay is.

Here, you'll see the access point to get to the back of the fog switch. The connector is the blue one. Also easily accessible.

Here , you'll see where i install my DRL switch. This switch is used to re-activate the old DRL system, Remember that Bumble G did a great job creating this how-to and making it completly reversible.

I took the freedom of modding the mod. I wanted to have full control over my fogs and i wanted them to turn off when the car is turn off too (why not!) so instead of splicing the wire named Fog Light Relay into the LIGHT GREEN/BLACK (as seen on no. 31 of Bumble G's masterpiece), I splice that wire way over to the BLACK/WHITE wire of the cigarette lighter. Since the lighter is activated when you turn the ignition to accessories, I tought it was a perfect location to activate my Fog Switch Relay. This is why I removed the center console. If you took 3 feet of wire to create the Fog Light Relay wire as said on no. 5, than it should be enough to reach the lighter or, for example, the fan switch. My guess is: For the new no. 31, you want an automatic output of 12 v when the car is turn on. So feel free to explore like I did.

This way, with the new SPST switch installed, you'll have total control over all your lights! (yes).

Here's a list for the visual ones:

• OEM DRL only
  • Parking lights only
  • Normal lights only (this includes parking lights)
  • High beam only (this includes parking lights and normal lights)
  • fogs only
  • OEM DRL + parking lights
  • OEM DRL + Fogs
  • fogs + parking lights (this is what the original no. 31 gives you)
  • fogs + normal lights (this includes parking lights)
  • fogs + High beam (this includes parking lights and normal lights)

Hell, I'm not sure that list helps...

Good luck.

Last edited:
I've followed every bit of the instructions and my fogs don't seem to be working? I've gone over the wiring again and again and I can't seem to find any mistakes. Any ideas?

Yes, more or less. Did you resolve your problem?

You can use the thick blue ignition wire which has power all the time or the red/black wire which is the accessory power wire. I wired mine to the blue ignition wire so my fogs are completely independant.

You can use the thick blue ignition wire which has power all the time or the red/black wire which is the accessory power wire. I wired mine to the blue ignition wire so my fogs are completely independant.

I've found 2 red/black wires. One is coming from the DRL Module and the other is coming out of the module beside the Fog Light Relay. Does it matter which Red/Black wire?

Found out that the Module beside the fog light relay is an unknown. And the Red/Black wire coming from it didn't have any voltage at all. So I spliced the Red wire from the fog light relay to the Orange wire from the Flasher module. I just need to remember to turn the fogs off and on when getting in and out of the car.

ill be doing this mod this spring since my car is stored in the garage, sweet how to!

question about step 14... am i connecting them together? both male and female from the harness side or what?

and if so then what happens the the blue/orange from the connector side? that doesnt get connected anywhere?

please and thank you

NOTE: The wire colors are "solid color/stripe" if there is one color then there is no stripe.

1. Find the Fog Light relay. Located in the drivers side foot well. Look up.
2. Using the 10mm deep socket unbolt the two bolts holding on the DRL, FOG light and other stuff up there.
3. On the FOG LIGHT RELAY cut RED wire about 2 from connector.
4. Crimp a male butt connector on the connector side, and crimp a female butt connector on the harness side.
5. Take a length of wire about 3 and crimp a female butt connector on one end.
6. Plug the new wire into the RED wire you just cut with the male connector on it.
7. Label the free end of this wire as FOG LIGHT RELAY.

8. Find the DRL module. Again located in the drivers side foot well. Look up.
9. Unplug the 2 harnesses. You only need to modify the small harness with 7 wires in it.
10. Cut the YELLOW/GREEN wire about 2 from the connector.
11. Crimp a male butt connector on the connector side, and crimp a female butt connector on the harness side.
12. Cut the BLUE/ORANGE wire about 2 from the connector.
13. Crimp a female butt connector on the connector side, and crimp a male butt connector on the harness side.
14. Plug wire YELLOW/GREEN into wire BLUE/ORANGE on the harness side.
15. Take another length of wire about 3 and crimp a female butt connector on one end.
16. Plug the new wire into wire YELLOW/GREEN on the connector side.
17. Label free end of this wire as DRL OFF.
18. Run both wires up the wire harness and secure with tie wraps.

19. Remove the cover on the side of the dashboard to expose fog light switch.
20. Run the free wires along the harness and into the area of the foglight switch. Use tie wraps to secure.
21. Find a suitable location for the SPST switch. ( I used the empty switch plate)
22. Terminate the free wire labeled DRL OFF to one side of the switch.
23. Terminate another length of wire to the other side of the switch.
24. Label this new wire as GROUND.

25. Unplug the fog light switch harness.
26. Cut RED/WHITE wire about 2 from connector.
27. Crimp a male butt connector on the connector side, and crimp a female butt connector on the harness side. (ignore my picture I put the connectors on the wrong side)
28. Take a length of wire about 1 and crimp a female butt connector on one end.
29. Label the other end GROUND.
30. Connect the new wire to the connector side. Leave the other end free for now.
31. Splice the wire labeled FOG LIGHT RELAY into the LIGHT GREEN/BLACK wire.

32. Find a good ground location.
33. Take both free wires labeled GROUND and terminate them with a ring lug.
34. Remove the bolt. Put the ring lug over the stud. Fasten the bolt back on.
35. Double check all connections are solid.
36. Plug the harnesses back into the switches.

Help!! This isnt working for me....WTF?????

Ok, I followed this step by step, double/triple checked connections, but no go. Still get the hid flicker AND now my fogs don't work AT ALL, drl module switch is nfg and oh yeah, now I HAVE TO turn my headlights on before starting car. The only thing I can think of was that I didn't disconnect the battery before starting, did I kill a relay? None of the fuses burnt out though. So other than re-doing the whole job again, how can I check to see where I went wrong??? Seemed so simple at the start, too. Wahhh!!!

....just thinking....would the keyless entry bypass mod have any effect on this one?? Someone suggested detaching the battery, maybe the ecu has to be re-set??

ummmm....ok.....nevermind. Figured it out - my lack of knowledge of electrical terminology messed up my job. Harness side/ connector side doesnt make sense to me the way it was written. I figured harness side would be where the wires connect through a HARNESS to the relay. Only after printing out the wiring schematic and studying it did I realize my error. So back to the car and a half hour later had it all corrected.Works just as advertised, and no more hid flicker!

Just did this, and worked PERFECTLY. Only thing I didn't do was add a DRL switch. Just connected the two wires that would have been through the switch together so DRLs are always off. Again, thanks for the great write-up!

Back