HOW TO FIT Protege non turbo radiator on the MSP (Mishimoto)

milesauto

:
03 MazdaSpeed Protege
Greetings! Here's my first thread, I think it's gonna be helpful for you guys.

Parts that you will need;

(1)Non Turbo Protege Radiator( I used the mishimoto because it's an upgrade)
Don't use the factory for non turbo for the MSP it's really a downgrade.

(2) Non Turbo upper radiator brackets

(3) Non turbo Radiator Fan shroud (just the shroud) Use your MSP fan motor and blades.

First Picture, Old picture with the old radiator, I was brown, Ready to blow

1011629_408411142593212_1933506694_n%201_zps7d7jabbq.jpg

On this picture you can see the OEM MSP radiator brackets on the top, Non turbo Protege ones on the bottom

DSC_0575_zps8lh6u3jw.jpg

Here you can see the Non Turbo Protege Fan shroud on the left and the MSP on the right. also you can see the MSP blade it has 7 spokes vs 4 of the Non turbo Protege, and a bigger fan motor(way heavier)

DSC_0574_zpshlt1hqrf.jpg

since the fan motor on the MSP it's bigger I need to cut the non turbo protege fan shroud, it has a pattern already, so I mark with the blue tint, just for reference.

DSC_0582_zpsphzvtypn.jpg

The Tool I use to cut the shroud

DSC_0583_zpspbmvet6l.jpg

After cutting the shroud looked like this
DSC_0584_zpspxkgxqav.jpg

Fan assembled
DSC_0585_zpsn5nt4e8g.jpg

DSC_0586_zpsasevfdyd.jpg

On the Condenser Fan Assembly, I cut the left leg to gain clearance on the drain plug, and I cut and shape the right leg to fit the Radiator.

DSC_0573_zps31dmrnmv.jpg

Radiator Installed! OEM FITMENT!

DSC_0591_zpsrf1oou4p.jpg

DSC_0590_zpsu6s3hrku.jpg

DSC_0589_zpstvurwaac.jpg

Hopefully you can use this on your favor!

PS sorry about my English, it's not the best one! LOL

Nice tutorial. For those not happy with the hacked up fan shroud look, Mishimoto makes a fan shroud that fits that radiator. Its another $175 give or take, but the fans work better than oem, and it gives you a lil extra room to play with.

I bet you'll be replacing that radiator cap soon...

It should be noted that you must be using a front mount or some other intercooler. This will not work while using the stock side mount intercooler.

FWIW the stock fans are actually very robust, I would not at all be surprised if the stock fans pulled more CFM than the 2300 that Mishimoto claims from their shroud.

Yeah you're probably right. Mazda did a great job supplying the MSP with good quality parts. But if you're as obsessive as me about the appearance of your engine bay, I think its fair to say that the Mishimoto fan shroud definitely looks better...

Thanks! But I must admit that your more simplistic approach is, in most ways, nominal to my more aggressive polished aluminum everything technique. After all, your car is faster than mine...

Has anyone confirmed or busted which fans pull more CFM? I have the full Mishimoto package... But I am curious.. temp stays the same on the gauge..

Latest posts

Back