How To: Connect A2DP through the aux input

Rotus

:
07 MS3
Ever since I got my htc EVO, I've wanted to connect it via A2DP to my aux input so I can listen to internet radio or play songs stored on my phone.

I recently got the Belkin A2DP receiver and it works. With a couple of problems: Noise, power and auto pairing.

The noise problem is the same when you power an mp3 player from your car and play it through the aux input. It creates a ground loop which can be fixed many ways. I solved the noise with a 1 to 1 transformer noise filter. There is very very limited loss of signal and the noise is virtually gone.

The power problem is that the Belkin unit only comes with an AC power supply. The power input on the back of the unit says 5v dc, which is exactly what USB power is. The plug looked familiar because it was used on many Nokia and LG phones. It's a 2mm barrel type. I found a USB to 2mm cable to use in my car.

The auto pairing I hope to solve with an app (like toggle settings|profiles)

To hook this up, you will need a few things:
1. an A2DP receiver. I have the Belkin unit, but there are others out there.

FUL1_F8Z492.jpg

2. a USB power supply plus USB to nokia 2mm cable OR a cig lighter charger that has the Nokia 2mm plug on it. I like the USB cable because I already have a 2 port USB cig adapter and I charge my mp3 player from there too.

ca44-charge-adapter-usb-2mm-charge-cable-for-nokia-n70-n73-n95-27639c.jpg
P12456050.jpg

3. (optional) a noise filter.

216780482.jpg

Install all the parts, pair and connect it and you should be good to go. This should work with most phones and devices that have A2DP capabilities. I think Belkin markets theirs as iPod compatible.

FYI: this only works for media audio, not phone.

Total cost for this should be less than $100 for everything.

Last edited:
Back