How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

@Fendyman, package arrived and the headrests are great. Two things which amazed me:

1. That you were able to package them in so small of a box.

2. The view out of my rear windows without huge headrest obstructions.

Thanks
Gary

@Fendyman, package arrived and the headrests are great. Two things which amazed me:

1. That you were able to package them in so small of a box.

2. The view out of my rear windows without huge headrest obstructions.

Thanks
Gary

Awesome! Great things come in small packages. ;)

I got the "premium" black cloth headrests from Fendyman, and uploading a pic just because I don't think anyone has of this version. I had originally tried the headrests from the 3 (and posted pics earlier in this thread), but with the gap I really preferred to get something with the proper fit even though those were quite close.

2014-09-16 19.10.59.jpg

There's no gap between the seatback and the headrest, and the gap on the top of the seat is basically the thickness of the plastic ring that the poles slide into, so I guess about 1/8". With the 3 headrest it was probably a little over 1/4" maybe 1/2" all around, but it's been a while since I tried it out, so can't fully remember.

Any chance one of your CX5 guys could measure the distance between the posts? My CX9 has THREE rows of those giant headrests i have to try to see over, And would love if these were an option for me also. As long as the spacing is the same, i can mod them to fit even if they stuck up and such. Its just the spacing that really matters to me.

I guess I'm a perfectionist, but the gap bothered me, and also from the pictures I had seen I thought the JDM ones looked better regardless of the gap. If it was 500$ vs. 100$ I wouldn't have bothered with the JDM, but in the end the price wasn't a big enough factor to make me just settle for the cheaper one. I do agree though, if you're looking to save the money the other headrests really aren't that bad and a stranger getting in your car probably won't notice the gap.

The US market 3/6 headrests may actually be a bit more comfortable than the JDM units for rear seat passengers. In my brief test fitting, I noticed that they seemed to fit well at the base of the skull when raised to that point. I think this may be the result of their slight forward bias (caused by "the gap"). Probably not a big difference, but maybe a slight advantage to offset the fact that they do not fit as well as JDM.

A quick post of praise to Fendy who (if I'm not mistaken) has now organized 3 orders of these for us neglected Americans. I received mine so fast after paying the invoice I have to wonder if he even waited for the funds to hit his account before he shipped them. Couldn't be happier! Thanks so much!

South San Francisco?! Do you have a store front?? I live in SF!

Unless you want some Korean food... LOL :D

No, I don't have a store front. PM'd you back.

Btw, I have 1 last set of black GT (leather) & 1 last set of sand Touring (premium cloth) left if anyone is interested. ;)

^ooops... almost forgot I have a set of sand Sport, too. Due to not many interest from Sport model owner, I will let THIS set go for $200 shipped. ;)

The difference between the Sport & Touring is pretty much the gold stitching (on Touring):

Touring
118DA5D6-9020-4FC0-860F-ACDEFA3826E3_zpsqxdfq4av.jpg

Sport
5740F8BB-4BAB-449F-ADC8-9F89735C767D_zps32b73clp.jpg

No black cloth touring? Plan on getting more?

Sorry, sold out. Not sure if I want to get more... depends on number of interests, I guess. ;)

Btw, the last set of black GT is sale pending now.

Latest posts

Back