How the hell did this happen?

So I replaced my pads last summer with the same pads I've had on the car since I bought it in '06, Axxis Ults.

I didn't have a problem until I took the car to the track for the first time in October, and just did one 20 minute session. I had already paid for the day when I picked up a large bolt in my track car and the replacement tire was on back order, so I figured I'd give the MSP a shot. I was obnoxiously slow, and it was clearly time to replace my valve cover gasket after the hot laps, so I only did the one session.

Anyway, the next day the brakes started squealing. So I put the car in the air and sure enough, one 20 minute track session completely fried the kevlar backing that comes on the Axxis pads. It's kind of impressive that 20 minutes on a track is more punishment than 50k miles of aggressive street driving. I put on some disc quiet goop but it didn't help much, so I eventually said screw it and bought new pads, although I wasn't able to find the Ults for the front again and bought Metal Masters.

So I finally got around to putting those on a month or so ago. They were quiet for all of a week, then the rears would occasionally squeal but at a very high pitch that was somewhat ignorable. It got worse the last few days though so I put the car in the air to see what was going on again.

This is what I saw.

5SWqI.jpg

What the hell caused this? When I put the new pads on, I did notice the drag was not even on that particular side when rotating the wheel. There seemed to be a rough spot, but I stupidly figured it would go away after a little bit of braking.

I don't think it is the pads fault since the gauge is only on one part of the rotor. My only theory is that somehow the rotor was not seated properly causing it to rotate at a very slight angle. All lugnuts were tight, so not sure how that would possible unless some debris fell between the rotor and the hub as I tightened things down. Even so, I am not sure how that would create such a nasty gouge. That gouge is as deep as the slots themselves.

Anyway, I put it all back together and now it spins evenly with a slight drag all the way around, but the rotor is obviously destroyed.

So now I have to buy new rotors. They have 50k miles on them, so it is probably about time anyway, but I was hoping to sell the car before I had to invest rotor money into it.

Now the question is, cross-drilled, slotted, both or neither? I am thinking just slots is the way to go since cross-drilleds tend to crack over time, but then they won't match the fronts until I replace them too.

Cross drilled $180, slotted $150, both $190, neither $44. I went with neither. I'll miss the aesthetics, but not enough to justify the extra $145 they would have cost. Everything seems to be fine now.

I had the same problem with my Cross drillers and slotteds in the rear. At first glance it appeared to be my pads causing the problem, but after further inspection the slide pin for the caliper on the bottom had become seized and was causing it to hang in one spot and ultimately wore one pad down wayyy faster than the other. I do find it weird that only one section of your rotor turned out that way though.

i also couldn't justify the cost of new cross drilled and slotted rotors, when new blanks only cost 19.99 each!!!!!

I think I know what had happened. It looks like the last time I swapped the pads, the little V shaped spring that spreads the pads popped out of its hole on the outside pad as I closed the caliper. I did not notice, and the pin became lodged between the pad and the caliper. So everytime I stopped, the caliper crushed the spring into the back of the pad causing it to be pressed against the rotor at an angle so the corner of the pad dug into the rotor. I made sure the springs seated properly with the caliper closed this time, and the new rotors appear to wearing evenly now. What a stupid mistake. I must have swapped pads at least 15 times in my lifetime and never had this problem. It seems like there is always a new way to mess something up.

Last edited:
Ok so the new rotors were fine for a couple weeks, and today started making a weird groaning noise. When I put duralast rotors on my sister's 04 6s a few years ago I remember she complained about a similar noise. I never heard it myself because of the mechanic's law, but I checked her brakes and there was nothing wrong. Eventually, it just went away.

I am going to take a look at them tomorrow morning and make sure they look ok. I wonder if this is just typical of duralast rotors during initial break in. It is not a pleasant sound.

Back