How many people have had to replace their alternator?

So my Optima lasted 9 years. It was dead after a short vacation; I jumped it, and drove to work. It was dead again when I left work so I jumped it again but the whole car shut off on the highway on the way home. I had to get a tow home. To test the battery, I charged it overnight and it refused to start my car the next day, barely turned over. So it has most likely bit the dust. I ordered a new Optima and the car started twice. I drove to work and back and it is now dead again. So that only really leaves one possibility, my alternator is toast. Either that or I have something drawing some serious current like a short, but I haven't messed with any electricals in over a year so that seems unlikely. I know alternators die, but 78k miles seems pretty low. Also, I am really dreading the install. My lowered car will not cough up the alternator without removing the axle, which I should probably replace while I am at it. Those rubber boots don't last long in AZ and I am sure one will go soon. So I know I am looking at a minimum 4 hour install in my 120 degree garage.

Just bitching really, but curious how many others have had to replace their alternators already. I am also kind of debating switching to a self-regulating alternator in case I ever want to go full standalone in the future but not sure how the PCM would like that.

I just replaced mine a month or so ago.

I lifted the alternator from the top of the engine bay. I needed access to the bottom of the car for obvious reasons, but I didn't want to remove the drive shaft.

Once you have the alternator removed, and the charcoal canister pulled out of the way, and maybe 1 or 2 other lines shimmied out of the way. Then you can rotate the alternator (a few times to figure it out) There seemed to only be ONE way that it will slide out, but it is very possible.
I wish i had pics, but its definitely a 2 hand ordeal.

Once you have it just past the engine, take note, because the new alternator needs to go in the EXACT same way. ha. I think I did mine in about 2 hrs through the top(including having a buddy drive me to the store). but then again, it was not hot out :)

Still have my original one with 94K+ but I am on my 3rd battery. Stock one lasted 6 years. EverStart replacements not so long. Did you load test your new battery or just check it with a voltmeter?

Just checked it with a voltmeter. It was sitting right at 12.4 which is borderline. I am actually pretty sure now the battery is still fine, just completely depleted because the alternator was providing nothing until the car shut off.
The trickle charge was only providing 2amps, so even overnight the battery wouldn't have enough juice to start. I should have done that quick math before buying a new one. I just figured after 9 years it was most likely the culprit. Guess I should have done some load testing before jumping to conclusions.

Thanks for the tip f1yen, I'll have to give that a shot.

Back