How fast 'should' my car be now?

ml2008ms3

:
2008 MS3
I've made the following mods and now I want to know how much faster it is than stock. Assuming I'm able to launch it (big assumption) how fast should I expect it to go 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile?

I did the hypertech flash last and man did it make a difference. Before that it was running like crap, very rich, and backfiring a lot. At first I tried turning off the 0-60 boost limiter, but found that I was constantly spinning the tires. Even with the 0-60 boost limiter turned on and after upgrading to 225mm Goodyear eagle F1s I'm still breaking loose even on dry pavement around 4k rpm in 2nd gear (not at a shift from 1st to 2nd). Besides the obvious answer of 'buy a RWD car' is there any hope for much of an improvement in traction by going with something other than the Goodyear Eagle F1s?

o CP-E cai
o test pipe
o cp-e 75A rmm
o Cobb turbo inlet
o Forge V2 BPV
o hypertech max-energy flash

Thanks for the input, Mark

I'm hoping for a 13.7 or so with basically the same mods. Minus the BPV. I'd hope to be mid to low 13's with an exhaust and TMIC.

235/40/18's on RX-8's. Right now they're Continentals. I'm looking to get into something stickier next season.

I did some research and found a $13 pocketdyno app for my iphone 4.

This morning I made 5 runs with the temperature outside being around 40F. Of course, I couldn't launch it well and had bad wheel spin on every run through 1st and at the top of 2nd. All 5 runs were between 6.1 and 6.5 seconds 0-60 and on one of them I took it through a qtr mle and it said 14.52 seconds.

Pretty dissapointing if it's accurate, but considering that I couldn't launch it might be correct. Would warmer weather and letting out some air in the tires really make a difference?

Has anyone tried launching their car in 2nd gear with the revs up to help with the wheel spin? I'm guessing it would toast the clutch.

Regards, Mark

Go to a real mile track if you’re at all concerned with accurate results.
More modifications don’t necessarily mean faster times. Some cars respond well some not so well but regardless the car doesn’t drive itself.
I’ve seen MS3’s at the track modified to the gills and not able to break 14.5. Meanwhile MS3’s with just an intake running 13.7-13.9.
The driver mod is the most important mod.

i would not try "power-shifting" unless you want to ruin your transmission. the iphone app probably isnt super accurate but i think it could be a rough estimation. how high (in rpms) are you launching from? if you are launching really high it could explain why you get nothing but wheel spin Mazda recommends launching around 2900rpms w/out tranction control but that still gives you a little wheel spin i like launching around 2500 myself so i can get off the line and only lose a little power of the line. Really if you want to change tires to get better launches i would just get drag slicks or at least track day tires for times when you are at the track. i dont think different street ttires will eliminate enogh wheel spin to justify getting new tires unless you need new ones. to answer your original question with your mods i think with a decent launch i would guess around mid 13s

Last edited:
Just went to the track this past weekend with my 08 MS3, first 2 runs consisted of me trying to figure out how to pedal the car with it being my first time to the track with her so I was only able to bust off a 14.0 at 104 with a 2.2 0-60. By the time the 3rd run came around my car had been cooling down in the staging lanes for about an hour, so i pull up to the water box, give her alittle wheel spin the ebrake pulled and pull up to the tree. The colors drop and i manage to pull off the perfect launch with no wheel hop like the first 2 runs which yielded me a 13.7 at 102 with a 2.1 0-60. I was pretty impressed with the run and I left it at that, my only current mods are MS CAI and CNT Racing CBE.

Too bad all the handling capabilities of the MS3 go to waste at a drag strip (hand)

It's good fun to go with friends and make a few passes but I'll take a road course or a windy road any day!

Too bad all the handling capabilities of the MS3 go to waste at a drag strip (hand)

It's good fun to go with friends and make a few passes but I'll take a road course or a windy road any day!

I agree, with the proper tires this car hugs the road. Even in colder conditions this thing feels like its on tracks. Still wouldn't mind doing a pass especially against my friends GTI golf. But after that I could careless.

Eh, it's a safe rush. I'd be too affraid on a back road to really give it the beans. Too many variables, too much to go wrong. Maybe on a track, with a lot of room for error if I spin off. I agree with both sides.

I have found the Hankook v12's to hook up well at the strip. Some tires have better straight line grip than others. I have Bridgestone RE-11's now and they corner like no other but the straight line grip is less than the v12's. Once you add power to this car grip in 2nd gear disappears. I can not go WOT at any speed in 2nd without breaking loose. The best straight line tires I have are the Michelin Artic Alpine snow tires I have mounted on a couple of mustang wheels. They have fantastic straight line grip and I'll be giving them a go when the drag strip opens in March.

Last edited:
lower your tire pressure that'll help to get more grip at launch, but not too much otherwise you'll pop the bead off the rim

Back