how does the ABS system work?

SocialStealth

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES, 120k miles
Well parts warehouse informed me that the brake caliper I previously ordered, and have been using, is for NON-ABS brakes. I'm pretty sure my 02 es protege has ABS (the ABS light briefly comes on when I start the car).

could this have caused any problems? How does the ABS system work? Does it have anything to do with the caliper?

I just read over that, and it looks like the calipers have nothing to do with the ABS. Which confuses me; because the sales rep told me the manufacture specifically said the model is only for cars without ABS brakes.

Anyone know for certain that the caliper does not have anything to do with the ABS?

Well parts warehouse informed me that the brake caliper I previously ordered, and have been using, is for NON-ABS brakes. I'm pretty sure my 02 es protege has ABS (the ABS light briefly comes on when I start the car).

could this have caused any problems? How does the ABS system work? Does it have anything to do with the caliper?

no, and that's why I don't deal with any of those idiotic online parts retailers whose employees have no idea what they're talking about.

Last edited:
ABS/non-ABS Protege ES's have the same calipers. The ABS light is supposed to turn on when you start the car, then go off after a few seconds--that indicates it's functioning correctly.

ABS/non-ABS Protege ES's have the same calipers. The ABS light is supposed to turn on when you start the car, then go off after a few seconds--that indicates it's functioning correctly.

Correct. The ABS system works off of speed signals fed from toothed gears on the hub of each wheel - the actual braking components themselves have nothing to do with the system.

Thanks guys, I just added the extra caliper to my order. replacing all the calipers and engine mounts, theres 3 mounts right?

no, and that's why I don't deal with any of those idiotic online parts retailers whose employees all work in India and have no idea what they're talking about.

This comment is both racist and absurd. Though I am not Indian, I have worked in a call center in the past. I assure you, one doesn't have to be of any particular race to be a dumbass that doesn't know how to do their job... And there are plenty of call centers located right here in USA, some of which have very smart folks from India working in them. Don't be racist- it's just plain dumb.

This comment is both racist and absurd. Though I am not Indian, I have worked in a call center in the past. I assure you, one doesn't have to be of any particular race to be a dumbass that doesn't know how to do their job... And there are plenty of call centers located right here in USA, some of which have very smart folks from India working in them. Don't be racist- it's just plain dumb.

I agree. One of my housemates works at a call center in NY for a online parts retailer. The guy's a ******* dumbass, but that's because he doesn't boast any kind of formal education.

Attachments

• DeleteMe.png
    DeleteMe.png
    31 KB · Views: 94

I apologize for coming off as racist - I am by no means any such thing. I am simply disgusted with the shams that are perpetrated online these days, especially with auto parts retailers. And there is some honesty to my response - every time I have called about an issue to one of these companies, I have been greeted by someone with a thick Indian accent who I have to repeat everything to 3 or 4 times.

I apologize for coming off as racist - I am by no means any such thing. I am simply disgusted with the shams that are perpetrated online these days, especially with auto parts retailers. And there is some honesty to my response - every time I have called about an issue to one of these companies, I have been greeted by someone with a thick Indian accent who I have to repeat everything to 3 or 4 times.

It is never-the-less an over generalization.

Back