How can I tell if my 2008 CX-9 GT has the tow package?

ThatLeviathan

:
2008 CX-9 GT
Hi all! A few months ago we bought a 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring and we really love it. Just took it on a 2 week road trip from Delaware to Texas and it drove like a dream. Looking ahead, we're thinking about a late fall vacation on which I'd like to be able to take our bicycles, but the really nice Thule strap-to-the-trunk rack I have won't work because of of the plastic fascia atop the back of the CX-9 (the weight-bearing straps will probably just rip it off). So, I'm thinking I'll install a tow hitch, and buy a rack that slides into that. I plan to get a hitch from etrailers.com or something similar, but I'm a little curious about what class of hitch to get because I honestly have no idea if our CX-9 has the vaunted tow package. I'm guessing that since it doesn't have a hitch already, it does not have the package, but I've seen hints online that Mazda sold versions that were tow ready (upgraded tranny cooler, etc.) and wired for towing but didn't actually have the hitch installed; I've also seen people online saying that all the ones with GT trim, in certain model years, came with the tow package standard, although there's disagreement over whether that happened in 2008. Is there any way I can tell (by checking the VIN, or looking for a giveaway part somewhere)? If we can only tow 2000 pounds it doesn't make much sense for me to invest in a class 3 hitch if I can find a class 1 or 2 that's cheaper. Obviously this isn't terribly relevant for a 50 pound bike rack holding another 50 pounds of bicycles, but once I have the hitch I suspect I'll be thinking about getting a small flatbed trailer for various purposes, or even trying to get a used popup camper.

Thanks!!!

Actually, all the info you want is inside this forum, but allow me to summarize it for you.
1) Class-III is the only choice available aftermarket. Curt, Hidden, or Valley are popular. U-Haul has it too. And, they do installation and wiring also.
Only 2" are available. If you want 1 1/4", you have to go OE, which actually costs much more.
2) To tell, grab a flash light, and take a look at radiator/fans. If you see TWO heat sinks (silverish metal device about 3-4" with metal spikes),
you have the tow prep package. If you see only ONE, you have the normal CX9.
3) For 2008, a CX9 with tow-prep does not mean it is pre-wired to the rear cargo area. For later model (2010+) yes. I am not sure about 2009.
That just means that you have to get extra wiring to pull power from battery under the hood to the rear cargo area. Later models have this
part of wiring installed. A simple plug-n-play kits will make trailer wiring complete. More wiring for 2008 (I got a 2008 so I know).

Did I miss any questions you got?

Back