2017~2024 How bright are your 2018/2019 headlights?

Cuz

Contributor
With some manufacturers seeming to give up functionality in favor of appearance, Im wondering how the new CX-5 headlights perform at night? From looking at vehicles on the road during the day, they look awfully small. Do they put out adequate light at night on unlit roads? How well do the fog/driving lights work? Do they provide much additional light or do they just look cool?

Thanks for your inputs, Im within 6 months of replacing my 2011 Outback and the 2020 CX-5 is the current leader on my short list.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/mazda/cx-5-4-door-suv/2019

Scroll down to the Headlights section, about halfway down the page. Specific trims that offer the adaptive LED headlights receive the highest grade (G = Good) in the test, while the lower trims score an A = Acceptable. I would say that they put out an adequate amount of light.

On the CX-9, the fog lights are just there for looks. They don't really add any visible light, aside from a very small area beside the driver's side bumper. They're likely better on the CX-5.

Last edited:
I find the headlights on my new CX 5 to be very good with a wide beam pattern and considerably bright. I was recently out on a moonless night and on a section of highway with no streetlights and was pretty impressed with the visibility that they provided at speed. I can't comment on the fog lights as fog only occurs a few days a year here.
One thing I always used to do with a new car back in the days of incandescent headlights was to raise the angle of both headlights to somewhere between the factory setting and where the high beams would hit just to give myself a little more range and move the pattern of the right hand headlight outwards a little to give more coverage to the shoulder.
My last few cars with HID headlights haven't needed those kinds of adjustments nor does the LED lights in the new CX 5. In fact I don't know if you can even adjust headlights anymore. It used to be a simple task with a screwdriver and the car pulled up on a level driveway in front of a garage door.

Last edited:
Best. Headlights. Ever. [in the US, anyway]
My wife has a 2011 Legacy, so her lights should be similar to yours. They are very good headlights.
The CX-5's are brighter, have a better pattern, the auto high beams work great, and if you get the ones that swivel when you turn-- prepare to be blown away.

My C6 Z06 had meaner high-beams, but otherwise I love the headlights in my GT-R, and the road following/turning feature is tits.

As others have stated, they are very nice and bright. My previous vehicle was a 2017 Santa Fe Sport Ultimate that had HID projectors with halogen high beam. First of all, they were aimed too low and when I adjust it the thing wouldn't stay and slowly move downwards. I felt it wasn't as bright in comparison to the G35 I had before that where I retrofitted projector HID's and that's even after changing to Morimoto HID bulbs. Moving into the '19 Signature, I'm super pleased with the headlights and high beam. I haven't had too much time driving at night but immediately felt the difference in the aim, reach, and brightness. It also swivels with my steering which is helpful when pulling out from a dark area.

I have a 2017 European model with LED lights that are both hi-lo beam automatic and they turn with the steering wheel and I can vouch that they are excellent at night. Both the beam pattern, the cut off and the throw are good. The auto function and the turning around corner function are extra boon. Will never go back to any other light in future. The fog lights are small but also LED and I have not really tested them since you hardly need them. To drive with both low beam and fog lights on together is illegal unless there is a dense fog situation (in sweden).

Thanks all, glad to hear the lights are good. I rarely use the high beams, but do keep the driving lights on with the headlights. I wouldnt call them fog lights unless you can have them on while the headlights are off. None of my last 3 vehicles had that ability here in the US. On my Outback they just add some additional light down below where the headlights shine, and light up a wider area immediately in front of the vehicle. Sort of like fill-in lights. Ive never had LED headlights on a car before.

To drive with both low beam and fog lights on together is illegal unless there is a dense fog situation (in sweden).

The US method of allowing them ONLY when the low beams are on never made sense to me. They would also be useful to "fill" when the high beams are on.

Can anyone explain the rationale behind the US rule?

When you use high beams in fog (or snow for that matter) all you usually do is accentuate or highlight the fog (or snow) and make the visibility worse.

As you say, using high beams in the fog is clearly not a good idea due to reflection.
I'm talking about using the fogs with the high beams under good visibility conditions. What would be the downside?
Why not be able to use them with both low AND high, depending on conditions?

As you say, using high beams in the fog is clearly not a good idea due to reflection.
I'm talking about using the fogs with the high beams under good visibility conditions. What would be the downside?

I think it's because you'd get those outliers who would use high beams and fog lights in fog/snow, which is a safety risk. Better to minimize that risk. We might use the combo in good conditions only, but others might misuse it and cause accidents.

When you use high beams in fog (or snow for that matter) all you usually do is accentuate or highlight the fog (or snow) and make the visibility worse.

I've tried it both ways. More light is always better in my experience with both weapon lights with a lot of fog/gunfire, and with driving in whiteout snow or fog conditions. YMMV, but if you have any science or white papers to back it up, I'd genuinely enjoy that.

I don't have a CX-5 but a CX-3, but I think the LED front fog are about the same....and they are about the most useless thing my CX-3 is equiped with.
If I have to use the light from my front fogs to be able to see the road, I better not be driving faster than about 15 km/h.
They only light directly in front of the car, so at any speed above 15 km/h I really should be looking further ahead.
The front LED headlights are a whole other matter, as you already know from the CX-5.

I think it's because you'd get those outliers who would use high beams and fog lights in fog/snow, which is a safety risk. Better to minimize that risk. We might use the combo in good conditions only, but others might misuse it and cause accidents.

But not allowing fog use with high beams doesn't preclude any use of high beams in fog, as some will do. So it doesn't address the problem you pose. Highs plus fogs are no worse than highs alone in the fog. Some would argue it would be better to use both in the fog than just highs alone.

I personally prefer low beams plus fogs in the fog. But I'd prefer to leave the fogs on whenever the headlights are on, hi or lo.

I've tried it both ways. More light is always better in my experience with both weapon lights with a lot of fog/gunfire, and with driving in whiteout snow or fog conditions. YMMV, but if you have any science or white papers to back it up, I'd genuinely enjoy that.

Interesting viewpoint but no hard science at my finger tips, just 50 years of driving. I better understand your weapon light example where you typically have a single specific target but for for me when driving in fog or snow and trying to get an overall view of things, high beams just over-illuminate the fog/snow and reflect back at me and obscure the road and other vehicles. Like you say, YMMV.

But not allowing fog use with high beams doesn't preclude any use of high beams in fog, as some will do. So it doesn't address the problem you pose. Highs plus fogs are no worse than highs alone in the fog. Some would argue it would be better to use both in the fog than just highs alone.

I personally prefer low beams plus fogs in the fog. But I'd prefer to leave the fogs on whenever the headlights are on, hi or lo.

(shrug)

All I know is that in foggy conditions, low beams and fog lights work better than high beams alone (or with fogs). If I turn the high beams on in clear conditions, the throw is further, but the low beam light is still present. Having fogs on in clear conditions provides very little (or no) benefit to me.

Last edited:
Interesting viewpoint but no hard science at my finger tips, just 50 years of driving. I better understand your weapon light example where you typically have a single specific target but for for me when driving in fog or snow and trying to get an overall view of things, high beams just over-illuminate the fog/snow and reflect back at me and obscure the road and other vehicles. Like you say, YMMV.

This has been my experience as well. I was on the highway during heavy snowfall some years ago, and turning on the high beams did nothing but highlight the falling snow, making it harder to see things like turn signals or brake lights. The additional reflected light washes out the brake lights that might have been visible if the high beams were off.

the downside to using fogs with high beams is they tend to focus your attention closer to the car - you want it as far down the road as possible

exception for cornering maybe

Back