Horn ???

mixmasterlove

Contributor
Has anyone changed out the horn ?? If so how to, how hard was it and what did u change it to?? The horn is a total joke and my friend started laughing when he heard it....

I haven't changed it out, but I was thinking of doing the same. Maybe throw in some Hella's or an electric train horn.

I know
Im considering Fiamm freeway blasters high tone and low tone
The stock horn is loud but sounds wimpy

Has anyone changed out the horn ?? If so how to, how hard was it and what did u change it to?? The horn is a total joke and my friend started laughing when he heard it....

Ha! He should hear my old Elantra, I had to add a horn with a testicular note to make me feel like a male again lololol

I decided to tackle it today but could not for the life of me get to the horn in the front grill. I thought it would have been a simple pop a few pins and pull for screws but it got me no closer to getting to the horn. Might have to do so research to get to it

I decided to tackle it today but could not for the life of me get to the horn in the front grill. I thought it would have been a simple pop a few pins and pull for screws but it got me no closer to getting to the horn. Might have to do so research to get to it
Let me know if you end up figuring it out. I think there may be 2 horns cause the steering wheel horn and the doors locking sound totally different.

Probably an easier way (you would hope), but according to the manual you have to pull the front bumper:

HORN REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. (See NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE
DISCONNECTION/CONNECTION [SKYACTIV-G 2.0].)
2. Remove the front bumper. (See FRONT BUMPER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
3. Disconnect the connector.
4. Remove the bolt.
5. Remove the horn.
6. Install in the reverse order of removal.
< Previous

Is the horn the same in the '14? It doesn't seem wimpy to me, but then I am coming from a 98 corolla.

I think you can get in from the top, take a look at pictures in Install Gutter Guard & Pet Screen Bug Screen in the How to Section

Probably an easier way (you would hope), but according to the manual you have to pull the front bumper:

HORN REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. (See NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE
DISCONNECTION/CONNECTION [SKYACTIV-G 2.0].)
2. Remove the front bumper. (See FRONT BUMPER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
3. Disconnect the connector.
4. Remove the bolt.
5. Remove the horn.
6. Install in the reverse order of removal.
< Previous

Are you kidding me, just to get to the horn I have to remove the bumper...... (smash)

agree horn is joke! me and wifey started laughing when we honked at other car in parking lot! we couldn't return the car as we already bought it.. haha

hmmm, granted it isn't the big car sound of some dual horn setups (or the older american car sound) but I don't find it to be bad as it is decently loud and travels well. It isn't the meep meep sort of sound that a lot of Japanese cars had for awhile. If anything I'd hope the higher tone might penetrate the sound deadening and radios on other cars better. (although I want the cop horn sound)

From the inside of the car it doesn't sound like much but the sound points out away and when I hit the lock button twice and am in front of the vehicle it seems loud enough to me.

Although it has proven once that it doesn't penetrate the other people's daze enough as I got shoved off the side of the freeway by a driver that just really wanted to be in my lane at that moment, even with honking like crazy.

that being said I've had the same thing happen in my other car multiple times and the Hella Supertone horns on it didn't help.
as seen here: http://youtu.be/PrGH0Go-iN8 If they are dazed enough to change lanes without looking then they just aren't that likely to snap back to reality because that sound they are hearing doesn't apply to them.

I have since swapped out the supertones for Hella 2 trumpet air horns on that car but even those don't always get people's attention anymore. I figure at this point it is time for a dashcam as the passenger in the car that ran me off the freeway in the CX5 flipped me off after like it was something I did, when the driver of that car just slowly drifted over all the way into my lane. They apparently thought I had just appeared out of nowhere and tried to pass them? Needless to say they'd have never fessed up to their insurance company if I hadn't gotten out of the way. They did move back over to the slow lane and somewhat disappear after a bit so I don't know if they realized what they had done or were still oblivious.

here's more horn choices than I though existed:
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/horns/horns.php

Last edited:
hmmm, granted it isn't the big car sound of some dual horn setups (or the older american car sound) but I don't find it to be bad as it is decently loud and travels well. It isn't the meep meep sort of sound that a lot of Japanese cars had for awhile. If anything I'd hope the higher tone might penetrate the sound deadening and radios on other cars better. (although I want the cop horn sound)

From the inside of the car it doesn't sound like much but the sound points out away and when I hit the lock button twice and am in front of the vehicle it seems loud enough to me.

Although it has proven once that it doesn't penetrate the other people's daze enough as I got shoved off the side of the freeway by a driver that just really wanted to be in my lane at that moment, even with honking like crazy.

that being said I've had the same thing happen in my other car multiple times and the Hella Supertone horns on it didn't help.
as seen here: http://youtu.be/PrGH0Go-iN8 If they are dazed enough to change lanes without looking then they just aren't that likely to snap back to reality because that sound they are hearing doesn't apply to them.

I have since swapped out the supertones for Hella 2 trumpet air horns on that car but even those don't always get people's attention anymore. I figure at this point it is time for a dashcam as the passenger in the car that ran me off the freeway in the CX5 flipped me off after like it was something I did, when the driver of that car just slowly drifted over all the way into my lane. They apparently thought I had just appeared out of nowhere and tried to pass them? Needless to say they'd have never fessed up to their insurance company if I hadn't gotten out of the way. They did move back over to the slow lane and somewhat disappear after a bit so I don't know if they realized what they had done or were still oblivious.

here's more horn choices than I though existed:
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/horns/horns.php

How hard was it to change the horn and do you have pointers/instuctions for us?? Thanks

Back