Honda Freed: a Fit-based JDM microvan (merged)

I wouldn't touch that thing.
First of all, there is NO back bumper so even the most mild of impacts will take out the hatch.
Second, seating for 8 will be for those below 4ft 6in, or those without legs, whichever, there will be no legroom.
Third, wait for VW to put the TDI in their version of the Chrysler minivan and achieve similar mileage while being 5 star crash rated.

It would get a bumper before they brought it to the states. We have rules you know! ;)

A 1.5L drivetrain leaves a lot of room for legs, perhaps not much for crush zone. Many motorcycles have larger engines here.

Tokyo 2009: Should Honda bring the Freed MPV to America?

Here in Tokyo, we were hanging around with some American Honda Motor Co. officials when they got their first up-close look at the Freed. The Freed is a compact minivan/MPV based on Honda's Fit architecture. For reference, the six-seat, three-row Freed is about 15 inches shorter than a Mazda5 and about 4 inches longer than a U.S.-spec Fit.

Freed's third row seats fold up against the sides of its body, leaving a completely flat load floor. At least two U.S. Honda PR people checking out the model loved the idea of offering it Stateside, although they'd be inclined to see two changes. Because of the micro-van's short length, they would drop the third row and move the second row back for more legroom. Additionally, the 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine (the same one used in the U.S. Fit) would also likely be replaced by something a bit larger for the our market possibly a 1.8-liter or even a 2.0-liter.

The Freed is a certainly an attractive package and could make a good competitor in the burgeoning small MPV segment against the likes of the Mazda5 and the forthcoming Chevrolet Orlando and Ford C-Max. What do you think? Have your say in the poll we're running. Honda's looking for feedback and would like to hear from you.

freed-tokyo-630-1.jpg

[Autoblog]

The poll indicates that the readers like it, problem is: the car would not have a 3rd row and is 15in shorter than the Mazda5, so How could these guys compare them? (screwy)

If it is 15 inches shorter than the 5 and not going to have a 3rd row then they have to quit calling it "Freed" and call it "X-fit". Ha, ha, ha! (lol2)

These vehicles are nice to discuss but I agree with an earlier post. This probably won't make it to North America.

These vehicles are nice to discuss but I agree with an earlier post. This probably won't make it to North America.

Maybe a designer from the honda Element division transfered to the Honda Fit section.. And they made a compromise. I make the front, you make the rear, and let's smoothen the edges a bit.

I like the Freed, though I wouldn't compare it to the 5. The Honda Stream is a lot closer to the 5. If they offered the Stream here in the U.S. I'd be torn.

I think this would be a top choice; hope for more

I just heard about this Freed recently. Is it a microvan or micro minivan? I associate microvan w/ all those flat-nosed "kei" car ones in Japan (like the Mazda SCRUM *sigh*). I think those would be my top choice for an everyday and weekend/leisure/light business vehicle (though they'd probably have to be widened/chunked up a bit for the U.S.), but they'll probably never be sold here (dangit)!! :(

Seems like the next best thing would be this Freed. It's not great looking - looks like a smaller Toyota Previa (which seems to me a top choice for best U.S. minivan). When I've seen 3D viewings of the Freed online, it looks more attractive than in just static shots. It's hard to get a sense of the scale, because there aren't many good pictures or videos online yet with people near the car.

What makes me want to hold out for this one (or any other similar newcomers) is -

• 2 sliding rear doors
  • 165" long - shorter than typical U.S. compact sedan (sure, a U.S. spec one could be longer)
  • tall interior space (sense of roominess - great for lounging around and sleeping in the back, if all the back seats can be removed)
  • not sure about this one - but can all the 2nd and 3rd seats be removed completely, for a totally flat cargo bed area to lie down in? This is a make-or-break feature - I need room for two adults to lounge about and sleep in for weekend outdoor trips. I don't want to deal with modding the car a la Sportsmobile (pop-tops, etc.).
  • my overall preference for Honda - based on family vehicles and overall reputation, they seem to always excel at combining bang-for-the-buck, ergonomics and versatility, maximizing spaciousness and window visibility, and reliability/longevity (but not always looks).

I wouldn't intend or want to haul 5+ adults in this. I'd probably want to leave only the two front seats (if possible), and maybe pop in one of the extra seats when I occasionally have an extra passenger.

I'd love to see Mazda sell something like this soon (I know the MAZDA5 is similar, but it's significantly longer and lacks the tall roof and flat cargo floor). I currently drive a Protege, and I have little to complain about it (it has low miles for its age, though). Family members are now buying new Mazda3's because of their great reputation and "sporty" drive. I'd also love to test drive the Mazda2/Ford Focus when they arrive here. I had always wanted a compact hatchback like this, but they were not "hot" or an SUV and thus were hardly available back when I got my Protege.

I'm impressed by the Mazda3's historic reputation for being one of the best bang-for-the-buck choices in its class, even beating out Honda and Toyota. That's why I'd LOVE to see more styles from Mazda USA - you know, the microvans, minivans, full-size vans (headbang)... and even urban microcars.

Last edited:
Back