Home Brewed Race Fuel (or higher octane)

hm yeah the sadness for all of this is that in Co.
the highest I'm finding is 91 you can find 100 in denver
but I live in the Springs so kinda SOL so mixing 91 it is

where can you get 100 in denver?...I have family there, and get out nearly once a year...and have never seen above 91, at least in the Arvada area...

reason being the altitude though...the octane is a buffer, but since the engine breathes overall less air volume at those altitudes, the higher octane is not needed...just a wasted expense...but turbocharged cars, at least ones that have adjustable boost, would definately need it if you just raised the pressure to compensate for less oxygen...

Heh... what would this do in a N/A car? I have the MP3 ecu and someone told me it responds very well to octane boost...

sorry haven't gotten back didn't check again but not sure where got a friend stationed at buckley afb and thats all he runs in his civic I'll try to get ahold of him haven't talked to him in months

SilverBulletES said:
Heh... what would this do in a N/A car? I have the MP3 ecu and someone told me it responds very well to octane boost...

It doesn't do anything...Realize that the octane rating gives an indication of its ability to sustain stable combustion...thats it...it has nothing to do with power (in reality, gasoline with a lower octane rating can be said by some to actually create better power...speaking in terms of potential energy, but its useless in this sense)...

So using higher rated fuel does not give power, it allows you to use the gasoline in a higher output engine...the engine isn't making higher power because of the gasoline itself...it is making more power because it using lots of gasoline, and/or lots of compression and lots of air...which creates the need for gasoline with a high level of stability...if you have a high compression NA engine, you have to have stable gasoline...without it you recieve detonation in many forms...which is not good for anything...

Its very misleading...especially with factory ECU's of many cars...most newer cars use knock sensors...and someone that knows nothing about the car will claim they gained power by switching to 92 gasoline...its not true...if the engine is designed to run on higher octane fuel because of its compression ratio or something, and they were formerly running it on 87...the knock sensor was sensing detonation...and pulling timing back to compensate...which killed some hp...they then switched back...the ecu corrected the timing because of no detonation...and all of a sudden the engine feels good again...its not the gasoline...its the computer...

I know this is getting stupid sounding...But in a bone stock FS or even modified NA engine (minus the increase of compression that some of us do)...high octane gas will do nothing...the computer is tuned for low octane gas...running higher octane will do absolutely nothing other than take more money from you...the engine will make no noticable difference in power...if you increase the engines static CR, you HAVE to use the expensive gas because of everything I just mentioned...the gas by itself will only allow the engine to run properly with such a high amount of "squeeze"...

Last edited:
Installshield,
Well here's my logic, sorry if it's completely faulty. The MP3 ECU seems to take stock in the octane of the fuel while the regular ECU does not. Supposedly it will run on regular gas just fine-- however, the timing will be no more advanced than a regular 2.0 ECU. I always run mine with Super (93) and it pulls noticably nicer from 6000-6500 after I had it reflashed. It's got to be a few horsepower. If you put race fuel in (not that I think I'd ever do this) would the MP3 ECU advance timing even more?

I'm just saying because one of the board members in Columbus, GA (forgot his handle) said his responded well to octane boost (not that I'd ever put a bottle of octane boost in-- I'm nervous about putting something you can buy at K-mart in my tank.)

Last edited:
Not that I know of...and you didn't say anything faulty...

I was just pointing out that its the advanced timing that is giving the power in the Mp3 ecu...not that the higher octane rated fuel is giving more power...the higher test only allows the advanced timing, if you know what I mean...

but no...the ecu wouldn't know what to do with race fuel...the physical aspects of the engine are not designed to run on that stable of a fuel...and there is a point with ignition advancement where it simply hurts power, even if there is no detonation occuring...a common issue with F1 engines...the MP3 ecu will reach its full advancement with normal premium gasoline...I would bet that with a much higher octane rated racing gasoline, the engine would actually be down on power because of the fuels stability and buffer properties (again, race gas is designed to be extremely stable because it is used in extremely hot and extremely compressed racing engine environments...not in a more or less stock FS)...I don't know for sure, but I am nearly positive you will not gain hp by using 105 octane gas...aside from other additives that may be in "off road" mixed gasolines...(that is where I can't be positive, because different race gas has different other stuff in it to help power anyway...its not street approved, so they do not have to go through all kinds of hoops to make it environmently friendly...because of that, my point could get skewed)

Thought I would look into the properties of Toluene and Xylene before if started considering this too much and I'm glad I did, winter is coming.

Wikipedia
Toluene at 100% can be used as a fuel for both two-stroke and four-stroke engines; however, due to the density of the fuel and other factors, the fuel does not vaporize easily unless preheated to 70 degrees celsius

Wow. I used to use Xylene as a primer before caulking windows and things of that nature when I was a glazer. I wish that I would've stocked up on that stuff over the years!!!!! There's also some stuff called M.E.K. which stands for methyl ethyl keytone. unsure of it's properties as I am too tired to look em up right now..i know i know, i am very lazy!

does anybody have any mixture to make 87 octane into 92 octane? i dont want to pay for premium.

Xylene as a high octane fuel?

I used to use that to clean plastisol ink mistakes out of t-shirts at my old print shop job. That stuff would bleach the floors if you spilled it.

Whod've thunk it? I'm sure there's more to it, as I didn't read the entire thread, but wouldn't this require tougher fuel system components?

It seems a little crazy to me. lol

How about Acetone? I used it in my old 2000 Protege 1.6L for a bit and it gave me crazy awesome mileage on the highway.. almost 800km/tank at some points

not too sure about the equation. so how much of toluene or xylene you should mix for every gallon?

Back