Holy s***! Bye Bye Cat :)

project_msp

Contributor
:
2010 Mazdaspeed3
So I changed out my spark plugs this morning and went for a drive... well everything was cool and then all of a sudden my my 2nd cat decided to blow off :) It's cool tho! Cause now my car sounds hella mean and I even have a cat lounging around the side of my subframe. But no worries... getting a custom 3" turbo back exhaust with a HP racing j-spec canister put in friday. So for now... gurgle gurlgle!

I was thinking more along the lines of kitty sleeping in your engine bay... oh well! (laugh)

hell yeah it does... at first I was like.. damn these spark plugs are the best damn mod i've done yet (and I've done quite a few heh...) but I figured something had to be wrong. after finishing up the downpayment on the new exhaust system and coming home my hearing just wasn't the same. I tried to drown out the drone (even had to adapt my driving habits to it) with beat (2 10's pounding away) and it still didn't seem to have any effect :p Best mod... take off your exhaust system

shano: hrm... i might get those tail lights from you. are they the apc's?

Be careful.... Driving around on a bad cat can do bad things to the inside of an engine. I doubt it'd get past the first cat, but still be careful.

Last edited:
Puckpimp71 said:
Be careful.... Driving around on a bad cat can do bad things to the inside of an engine. I doubt it'd get past the first cat, but still be careful.
How so?

When the cat corrodes (from rich conditions, usually) the platinum gets grainy. When you mash the throttle then suddenly let off, most cars have a tendency to suck some of the exhaust back into the engine for a split second. Occasionally, the sandy, corroded platinum can go into the engine with the exhaust. I've only heard stories and seen a few pics. It's seems like stretch, but it's happened. I think it mainly happens to na cars, but better safe than sorry.

What's with the CAT's blowing off these days on the MSP. JDM Sam's car had the same issue. He just removed it from the equation all together. His car pulls hard now.

I think I'm going to run an open DP tomorrow for s**** and giggles. *After my job interviews*

SO you can safely remove everything after the j-pipe or whatever you want to call it and you'll be cool? My muffler rattles around and I hate it, so hell.. I may give this a try.

yeah...good points...its a reverse scavaging phenomenon that is mostly apparent in NA cars, especially those with high stroke (one reason Spec V dudes experience it a lot)...in which the intake charge is fast and hard enough to pull exhaust stroke back in right when the tb closes...Lots of things control it though, and it mostly depends on the engine's degrees of overlap...It is only really bad when a cat is fried though...and other than that it just causes cool noises...

Also be careful with running just a J-pipe...we do not have the under car flow dynamics to make sure all that bad air gets out the back of the car...and a lot of pressure gradients cause it to go right into the engine bay...You could potentially pump the exhaust right into the inside of the car with the fan...even if you are going "fast" enough...which would kill you eventually...not to sound like a puss however...

casper said:
SO you can safely remove everything after the j-pipe or whatever you want to call it and you'll be cool? My muffler rattles around and I hate it, so hell.. I may give this a try.
get some kartboy hangers, they're good and tight

Back