Hitch vibration issues

:
2019 cx-5 signature
anyone noticed excessive vibration after a hitch install? This happened with my 2013 cr-v. Trying to avoid it.

My hitch was put on by the dealer pre-delivery.

I notice no vibration.

I’m looking at curt and draw-tite. Leaning towards draw-title at the moment.

I don't remember the name of the brand I bought from eTrailer. They seemed almost identical except they had a class I.

I think they all weighed about the same.

If the hitch contacts the exhaust maybe it would vibrate. No chance of that from what I can see.

Vibration from what and from where? I installed a e-Trailer hitch, no issues.

With no load? If with, what is being attached? I have a Draw Tite but only used so far for a 2-bike rack--no vibration with or without load.

I just installed a Draw-Tite. Absolutely no vibration. Just make sure to lube the muffler hangar points and make sure they are completely seated into the rubber hangars.

Wasn’t too bad. Some spray lube and a mini pry bar and they came right off. It helps I only had 82 miles on my car when I installed it, so they were still flexible and clean :)

I don't remember the name of the brand I bought from eTrailer. They seemed almost identical except they had a class I.

I think they all weighed about the same.

If the hitch contacts the exhaust maybe it would vibrate. No chance of that from what I can see.
Yeah...this is the main concern. A lot of people complain about the exhaust touching the hitch with a lot of models. It appears it’s not a problem with the cx-5. Over the next couple of years, we will be adding a scamp trailer and whaly boat/trailer to our fleet. We can tow both in our crv but hell no. I’m not pulling the weight on that crappy Honda whiny ass engine. 2.5T all the way.

Last edited:
You should be fine. Exhaust doesn’t come in contact with hitch (aftermarket or OEM) if installed properly.

You should be fine. Exhaust doesn’t come in contact with hitch (aftermarket or OEM) if installed properly.
WRONG! I installed a Draw-Tite 76138 Max-Frame Trailer Hitch
hitch specifically designed for 2017-2019 CX-5 and my left side exhaust was hitting the hitch on certain bumps. Drove me crazy until my Mazda dealer confirmed that the 2019 exhaust hangers are different than previous CX-5 years. He was kind enough to bend the hangers a bit and now I have no problem.

20200305_000826_resized.jpg

Wow, interesting.

For general use, Hitch Stabilizers are a must for any application where you use the hitch. They are all pretty much the same and a very simple design but Maxxhaul makes a good one with a powder coated, rust resistant backing plate.

I'm getting a hitch mounted cargo box for my CX-5 and will use the stabilizer with it.

WRONG! I installed a Draw-Tite 76138 Max-Frame Trailer Hitch
hitch specifically designed for 2017-2019 CX-5 and my left side exhaust was hitting the hitch on certain bumps. Drove me crazy until my Mazda dealer confirmed that the 2019 exhaust hangers are different than previous CX-5 years. He was kind enough to bend the hangers a bit and now I have no problem.

NOT WRONG (ok, I will agree that all caps is fun)! I have zero issues with mine. Did you have any issues with the frame of the hitch being bent or any other part of your exhaust being out of alignment?

Many, many users have installed, myself included, that identical hitch and no one else has reported your issue.

Just pointing out that you’re situation is likely an exception and not a rule.

Last edited:
I installed the Curt hitch purchased from eTrailer and have had no noises coming from it. Also a squirt or two of WD40 works miracles on the hangers, trust me. I have heard of people having an issue where the heat shield (think it's a heat shield anyways) can get bent and then will vibrate against the hitch.

Back