Hitch for Bike Rack

I have a 2021 CX-9 GT and a Yakima Dr. Tray 2" version. My hitch journey started with the sales person recommending a u-haul hitch. I have seen those in the past and I always find the cheap aftermarket hitches to be ugly and reduce ground clearance. I asked for the OEM Mazda hitch which is 1.25". The sales guy said I could use an adapter to continue using my 2" hitch. I took delivery of the car with the 1.25" mazda hitch.

As soon as I got home, I tried this setup but the connections were all very loose and I had zero confidence my bike would be secured to the car. I did some research and etrailer.com has 2" hitches that fit a CX-9. The etrailer guy assured me that my bike rack would fit in the upright position with this hitch. I talked the dealer into installing the hitch for free if I purchased it. I took some measurements myself and I knew it was going to be tight. I made it home from the dealer and tried the bike rack in the upright position. It's about 1/8 of an inch too close. The rack would rub against the tailgate any time I hit a bump. The end solution was to position the bike rack using the outer safety pin position on the hitch. They give you two safety pin holes spaced about an inch apart. The idea is that you are supposed to use the inner one for the pin and the outer one if you have a J shaped pin that can snug whatever you have in the hitch. I'm convinced there is enough engagement with the hitch and the receiver for a bike rack.

Words of caution if you want a trailer mounted bike rack on a CX-9. I'm still disappointed that I paid the dealer $700 for the OEM hitch but I've told myself to consider it a win since it was only $150 more and I am able to securely mount my bike. It would have been a disaster if I owned a brand new car and had no way to securely mount the bike.

So when I purchased my CX-9, the dealer refused to install the Mazda hitch. He sent me to a local dealer to install a hitch - which he said would be better and cheaper. I was really annoyed at the time but he was 100% right. Hitch was a 2" hitch with wiring and cost $200. Works like a charm. When the bike is off, I can fold the hitch flat up, but the rear hatch won't open in that position. I generally leave it at about 75 degree angle.

Attachments

• IMG_6007.jpg
    IMG_6007.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 374
So when I purchased my CX-9, the dealer refused to install the Mazda hitch. He sent me to a local dealer to install a hitch...

Why did the dealer refuse to install a Mazda accessory? I'm not sure how many other accessories they won't install but the dealer should of had a good reason not to install it.

Were they worried about their technicians ability? Or, were they concerned with liability associated with their business doing the install?

Not that it is difficult to install the hitch yourself, but this wouldn't instill confidence in the service department of that dealer (if that was my dealer).

On the positive, at least they were being truthful/honest; just not very accommodating.

Why did the dealer refuse to install a Mazda accessory? I'm not sure how many other accessories they won't install but the dealer should of had a good reason not to install it.

Were they worried about their technicians ability? Or, were they concerned with liability associated with their business doing the install?

Not that it is difficult to install the hitch yourself, but this wouldn't instill confidence in the service department of that dealer (if that was my dealer).

On the positive, at least they were being truthful/honest; just not very accommodating.
At least at my local stealership, they won't do anything even remotely custom. I've only ever taken my cars there for recalls. Because other than that, they just seem like they want to do warranty work, and nothing else.

Someone posted a pic of the hack job their dealer did on a brand new cx5.

They don't do body work at all dealers. Maybe they are right to decline the job.

I saw the bumper hack job. It still boggles my mind how someone thought that as acceptable, even with a cover made to go over that area.

Attention to detail (and pride to some extent) have gone out the window is one reason I do not like to visit the dealer service department unless absolutely necessary.

Plus, the more I visit them, the more "trade up" letters they keep sending me...We've received one each month for the past 8 months. First, it was for a new CX-5, but here recently, it has been for a CPO CX-5 (all in colors [black, white, silver] we are not interested in)

Self installed in the driveway in about 30 minutes. No cutting required. You can install it solo with some jack stands or with another set of hands.

I don't need the wiring since all I use it for is bikes (Thule T2 in 1 or 3 bike config).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 1.54.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 1.54.36 PM.png
    293.5 KB · Views: 253

Attachments

• PXL_20230714_201619285.jpg
    PXL_20230714_201619285.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20230717_230320616.jpg
    PXL_20230717_230320616.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 63
OOohh, yeah. Hate the thought of the downward pressure that's putting on the (plastic) spoiler. I installed a hitch on mine for a bike carrier. (No lights/no wiring.)

I have seen those damage the hatch backs. just looking at the straps over the rear wing make me cringe.
My buddy has been using his for 3 years...zero issues. I'm not remotely worried. I'm sure any damage done is because of a poor install. You have to do it correctly. and it's easy...

Back