Hesitation at 4500 to 5k

DynoBunny

:
2007 MS3 GT/2012 5 GT
I been having some big time hesitation issues at 4500 to 5000k in 3rd and 4th gear. The only mod is a cpe nano, however recently I replaced the spark plugs with bosch iridiums. I've been getting super good gas milage (around 27mpg per tank) however I think this may be the cause of the stuttering. At first I thought it was a boost leak, but I don't think so because it doesn't do it all the time. Anyone else run into these problems. The car has almost 65k on it and I haven't had any complaints or issues yet.

Did you check the Gap on the plugs before the install? I would have just replaced them with the the exact same plugs that it came with to avoid any issues.

Last edited:
What do you consider to be "within spec" gap? What is the part number and heat range equivalent?

They were around .28, they have the four prongs so it's not easy to check the gap on them. They were specified for the ms3.

Multi-electrode plugs are usually not best on direct injection turbo engines..028 may also be a little tight. Can you give a plug number so I can check on heat range?

Last edited:
interesting, see I've always used them on my other cars with good results, didn't think the direct injection mattered. I'll check on the plug number for you.

The plugs are #4515

Last edited:
A little investigation info:

Bosch plug 4515 should have this number on the plug - HGR8MQI

If it does, it is my understanding that the 8 represents heat range 8 under Bosch's system. See attached chart to decypher Bosch's numbering code.

Then consult attached cross-reference chart.

If I am reading the chart correctly, that would be equivalent of an NGK 5 or a Denso 16.

If that is right, the Bosch plug is one to one and a half heat ranges too hot. This could be the cause of your problem.

Also, there is data to suggest that platinum (even in a blend with iridium, as with your choice) is not a good choice for high cylinder pressure engines, such as cars running nitrous or turbocharged cars with high boost and high compression ratio and direct fuel injection.

The preferred plug would have an iridium tip, but would have the core of that tip and the ground electrode made of pure copper which is better at transferring heat, rather than holding it, as platinum does.

I don't know if going to a proper heat range Bosch plug will solve your problem, but it would seem to me that you would be better with either stock plugs or the NGK or Denso equivalent with iridium tip on copper core and a solid copper single ground electrode.

Attachments

• heat range cross reference.jpg
    heat range cross reference.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 115
  • bosch number system.gif
    bosch number system.gif
    392 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Yea, I decided these ran like s*** and took them out today, I took them back to autozone and ordered some denso itv22s from pg. Right now the old fomocos are back in and it already runs a lot better. Other then the good gas milage those bosch plugs are junk.

A little investigation info:

Bosch plug 4515 should have this number on the plug - HGR8MQI

If it does, it is my understanding that the 8 represents heat range 8 under Bosch's system. See attached chart to decypher Bosch's numbering code.

Then consult attached cross-reference chart.

If I am reading the chart correctly, that would be equivalent of an NGK 5 or a Denso 16.

If that is right, the Bosch plug is one to one and a half heat ranges too hot. This could be the cause of your problem.

Also, there is data to suggest that platinum (even in a blend with iridium, as with your choice) is not a good choice for high cylinder pressure engines, such as cars running nitrous or turbocharged cars with high boost and high compression ratio and direct fuel injection.

The preferred plug would have an iridium tip, but would have the core of that tip and the ground electrode made of pure copper which is better at transferring heat, rather than holding it, as platinum does.

I don't know if going to a proper heat range Bosch plug will solve your problem, but it would seem to me that you would be better with either stock plugs or the NGK or Denso equivalent with iridium tip on copper core and a solid copper single ground electrode.
Very good info to know.;)

Back