Hesitant and Stuttery below about 3,500 RPM

I wouldn't use brake cleaner, use the CRC MAFS cleaner to be on the safe side, it is specially formulated.

Brake clean does not leave any residue and we at my shop have tried MAF cleaners, but find they don't clean as well. Brake clean is very similar to MAF clean, but can clean the wires better.

I don't want to branch the topic, but I have an Android phone, a Bluetooth OBDII reader and the Torque app for android. It seems this can log the engine data. If I can do this, would I need a DashHawk?
sadly, yes,..... mebbe
I have the same setup. HTC inspire, goliton elm327 dongle
had
reurned the torque app, (nice people) still stuck with the dongle, but will try to find the reciept for that
setup sucked ass, refreshed every thirty seconds or so
essentially useless

tried a different free obd app, it sucked worse, so mebbe the dongle has issues, it did report everything, so that and the disclaimers from torque about you "get what you pay for" indicate a flaky setup that needs maturing

more to your point, it only reports generic PIDS, so, KR, WGDC, BAT, DISI pressure and the rest of the mazda PIDS are a nogo

that said, it seems you can add custom PIDS, so, if you are bright enough to do hexdecimal programming,..... you could get it to work

IF you can get it to refresh decently, some peeps may find the huge bright display in HUD mode to make a great digital speedo/boost gauge, thus making it worthwile on those merits alone

Last edited:
Try ScanXL Pro with the Mazda specific upgrade. Palmer Performance Engineering. It works with standard Elm 5 USB connected between OBD II port and a laptop. Awesome. Costs a bit more, in toto, than Dash Hawk and has no monitor other than the laptop screen. But it is amazing. I'm playing with it right now (loaned). Will probably purchase and will report in more detail. Multiple real time monitoring on the screen. I don't know what the visible sensor out limits are. And very rapid 1ms data capture rate. CSV data logging output. Very powerful. Every generic and Mazda specific OBD II parameter seems to be present.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/scanxlpro/index.php

http://www.palmerperformance.com/support/supported_vehicles/mazda_enhanced.php

Looks like total price tag for hardware port and software package would run about $350 less any discounts that might be available from vendors.

Last edited:
^
again with the conciseness, ;-)

Sooo....
the BT dongle is the issue,
the data can be Xfered, but the quality is hardware dependent at the dongle, odd, since a PC BT dongle costs like, a nickle and syncs the phone fine

Mebbe I will revisit this concept when I feel less cheap

The author of Torque does seem to be a very cool guy, and quick to respond to questions

Back