HELP!! Water in Trunk!

Foolish

...of Awesometon
:
'94 Miata! '10 Mazda5 Sport 5MT, '16 Mazda3 S GT
So, during the rain two days ago, I put some bike parts in my trunk and noticed the trunk mat was wet. The following day, I pulled it out to dry and found the well against the right side of the trunk, the one where the jack lives, had about 1" of standing water in it, and the jack is rusty as hell, indicating that it's been this way for a while!

I didn't notice any water in the tire well though, making me wonder just exactly where the water is coming from. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

I've had water in my trunk too. I think there's a thread around here about it somewhere. Basically, others have tracked it down to either a leak in the tail lights, possibly in a body seam, or from the trunk seal. Mine was in all 3 compartments including the spare well, but it doesn't come back very often anymore, so I have no idea what it is.

If it looks like it's been there a long time, sponge it out, clean up the inside really well (might want to use some cleaner that will kill any mold/mildew) and check it again after the next rain. It might have been a long slow accumulation if it was never looked at before. If you get a lot... it might be time to sit in the trunk with a flashlight while someone hoses down the car.

I had this problem also and found it was water getting in through the roof ariel and travelling down the rear quarter panel into the boot. Just remove the three clips in the rear of the headliner and pull down gently to take a peak..... any water there?

I removed the ariel and filled the hole with silicone before replacing the ariel and making sure the nut was nice and tight. Good luck.

Thanks guys, I'll check out those possibilities.

So, I took another look in the trunk today, and there's definitely water in the spare, too. I'm not sure how I missed it before.

I had the same issue and after spending a couple hours with a hose taped to the top of the car simulating the most horrific downpour ever I found all the sources. The only visible problem I had was a tear in the top of the trunk seal. But I found that water was running into that tear and then down through the seal and out small holes in the seal towards the bottom. Replaced the seal and all the water is now gone.

You should consider yourself lucky. I first noticed the problem in the middle of winter where we had a large rain storm then freezing temps the next day. I had literally a frozen pond under the trunk mat that completely filled all three sections of the trunk. I had to park the car in the garage for a day to thaw it out before I could even remove the spare tire.

Tony

I had literally a frozen pond under the trunk mat that completely filled all three sections of the trunk.

Wow. That sucks a lot! Thanks for the advice. I'll spend some time looking for the leak on Friday when I get the car back from it's clutch job! Then it's Zoom-Zoom time again! :D

Back