Help! Think dealer trying to doupe me

jlcnyygirl

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring
2018 CX-5 first oil change on Thursday
Pull out the dealership & car is sluggish
Driving back to dealership check engine light came on and a bunch of codes
Had to have it towed
Service manager said 2 & 4 cylinder were misfiring 4 was over compensating for 2
WTH did they do??
Air filter/ vacuum hose not reconnected properly?
I want to know some possibilities to arm myself with when I go to dealer
Thank you!

Jous about modern cars is that the scanner tool can tell them, but they probably unplugged something

2018 CX-5 first oil change on Thursday
Pull out the dealership & car is sluggish
Driving back to dealership check engine light came on and a bunch of codes
Had to have it towed
Service manager said 2 & 4 cylinder were misfiring 4 was over compensating for 2
WTH did they do??
Air filter/ vacuum hose not reconnected properly?
I want to know some possibilities to arm myself with when I go to dealer
Thank you!

Why does it sound like you're gearing up for WWIII? They obviously did something during the service that caused a problem and you some inconvenience. That's unfortunate, but it happens. It's their responsiblity to remedy the situation under warranty. So just let them do their job and don't stress out over it.

Please let us know what they said was wrong. This happened on Thursday and they didn't get it fixed yet?

Last edited:
Sounds to me like she has every right to be livid, I know that I would be!

Anyone who has changed their own oil knows that nothing gets unplugged in the process of an oil change. At least nothing should be unplugged.

I don't think that the dealer is trying to dupe the OP though. More likely it was a low paid tech not paying attention to what he's doing.

It's under warranty, why do you have to arm yourself? Have the dealer fix it.

ps: it's dupe not doupe.

Do they have to unplug something to check AT fliud? If they do that.

IF they checked the AT fluid, and that's a BIG if, they might have unplugged something. Checking it 'by the book' requires removing the airbox and stuff get's unplugged for that.

Who unplugs a bunch of stuff for an oil change? Probably the same kind of ding dong that doesn't plug it back in afterward.

IF they checked the AT fluid, and that's a BIG if, they might have unplugged something. Checking it 'by the book' requires removing the airbox and stuff get's unplugged for that.

You don't have to unplug anything to remove the airbox.

Simply checking the air filter and not securing the filter or cover would cause an intake air leak that can result in a lean mixture condition.

Years ago, I changed the air filter in a 2002 Protg. The next day, the engine was bucking and stalling. I discovered that the 13 year old intake snorkel had a large split in its underside, causing a massive air leak.
I duct-taped the snorkel until I could get a replacement.

Back