Help me class the NSN car

TurfBurn

:
'01 Yellow MP3 #1026
Hey guys,

I have done almost all my racing in Midwest Council so I know the classification and rules system for that but have been having a beast of a time sorting out where we'll fit in for some of the SCCA stuff.. I plan to do some auto-x with SCCA this year as well as some higher speed things... but initial focus is on the auto-x.. so here is the mods list and hopefully you guys can help me sort out... I did race one previous year in SM but not sure if that was even correct for the 2 races I did that:

Aftermarket non-production turbo
Standalone EMS
Coil-Over suspension with camber plates
Emissions systems removed
20 thousandths overbore
non-standard compression
Valve work - stock size
Replaced exhaust valves with non-stock
Gears swapped within transmission
Limited slip differential added
intercooler
Modified fuel system (added fuel rail, and non-standard injectors)
Wiring harnessing removed from engine bay
Racing Seats
5 point Harness
Ported and polished manifolds and head
reinforced stock motor mounts

And I typically run Victo-racer or Hoosier A304 compound tires... which are both DOT approved.

Sways etc are stock, no aerodynamics were added, no vehicle lightening done as of yet (but will probably do it if the class allows it and I'm there already), no change in fenders or tire widths, no bushing changes yet.

I think that should cover most of the modifications that matter for classing..

the help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:
Is there any derivatives of SM that seperate out the front drive cars from the AWD and/or RWD? Or is it pretty much lumped in...

I'll re-read the rule book again on wire harness removal I saw it as a not allowed portion for street prepared but didn't ID it for street modified... I pulled harness out from the stock harnessing and it was replaced with Microtech harness.

The only "separator" is SM is SM2 for 2 seater cars (aka vettes, S2000, Miatas, etc). I'm pretty sure ur allowed to do standalone engine management, so I don't THINK the wireing harness deal would be an issue. I'd say go there classed as SM, and ask some of the more experienced SM guys to look over ur car and see if they disagree w/ anything. Generally, if you're straigh forward w/ them, auto-xers are good ppl to deal with.

The only other thing I wondered about was the true prepared and modified classes... it looked like I'd be in EM otherwise... didn't know if it was worth going into those or not.

the guys at the Milwaukee events aren't too bad, but it is usually so hectic it can be hard to get a hold of anyone there for any period of time.

It depends on what your goals are. Are you going to just compete locally? Maybe a Divisional here and there? Then SM will probably be fine. If you have aspirations to go national then you are probably not in the car to have to be highly competetive since people throw all kinds of money at the car at the higher prep levels.

Yeah... mostly local and some divisionals... my long term focus is going to be more Solo I and possible World Challenge in a couple of years... so the car is great for those, but Solo II it is slightly less competitive... so SM looks like it'll likely be most of where I sit.. but maybe in time I'll move into Prepared or Modified and just dump stupid amounts of money into the car for it.

In sm.....FWD is the lowest min weight, then rwd then awd. Thats about the only seperator.......RWN min weight is too low....awd is a tad too high and fwd could probably use to be lower.

Best cars for SM are BMWs from waht history has shown....lightish weight tons of power and a good suspension. The BMWs cant even get down to min weight.....so thats why i think its too low.

Anyway.....thats about all i got :)

david

can't imagine getting down to that weight in a 3rd gen protege :)... but with over 300 whp... the power to weight ratio isn't much issue.. just the cornering weight really...

True... I found gear selection, tires, and boost control have helped that a lot... times improved quite a bit... but tons of room to grow... it's fun and I'm competitive by nature so I get into it :). Good advertising too as people really ask a lot of questions and it helps get people interested in us.

aMaff said:
on that note, what LSD do you have?

I have a welded MSP LSD... I believe i was the second person to ever do it.. and the one to document how to do it which lead to everyone else doing it... :)

I've been pretty happy with it... probably could be better... but for under 600 bucks with all the extras it takes to drop in, it's a steal really for what is involved.

Back