Help identify CX-5 brake caliper date code

Hi all, 1st post here so hopefully I have this in the correct section.

I was after some help if anyone can it would be very much appreciated.

So unfortunately I have the known defective cx5 electronic parking brake calipers and the right rear malfunctioned.

I replaced this caliper as per the Mazda technical bulletin for a brand new one from www.getoemparts.com however upon fitting I did not check the date stamp on the caliper.

The caliper performed just as it should for 5 months however the fault has now returned giving all the same faults as the original caliper.

This then promped me to reinspect this caliper and the 1st thing that come to mind is that I didn't check the date stamp to check weather or not this was the updated caliper.

So now we get to my issue. The caliper is date stamped what appears to be 24J which makes no sense as the Mazda technical bulletin only shows this stamped as 3 numbers.

I will include some pictures of this to show you what I mean, sorry the pictures are not the best but Its difficult to get a good picture with the low light.

I really hope Someone can help identify this date stamp so I then know what direction to go about fixing this.

Many thanks

John

Attachments

• 20221207_194023.jpg
    20221207_194023.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 20221207_194018.jpg
    20221207_194018.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Brake Noise from REAR BRAKE_Trace of Rear Brake Dragging (3).pdf
    373.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20230110_165304_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230110_165304_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 105
My guess would be your date code of 24J would be 2022/04/20 date of manufacture. (Last digit is day of month and since there are [up to] 31 days in a month and only one position to indicate that they use 1-0 then switch to letters for 10-31... A=11, B=12 and so on).

Unless it was 2012/04/20 ? Didn't start making CX5 in the US until 2013 model year though IIRC.

Hi all, 1st post here so hopefully I have this in the correct section.

I was after some help if anyone can it would be very much appreciated.

So unfortunately I have the known defective cx5 electronic parking brake calipers and the right rear malfunctioned.

I replaced this caliper as per the Mazda technical bulletin for a brand new one from www.getoemparts.com however upon fitting I did not check the date stamp on the caliper.

The caliper performed just as it should for 5 months however the fault has now returned giving all the same faults as the original caliper.

This then promped me to reinspect this caliper and the 1st thing that come to mind is that I didn't check the date stamp to check weather or not this was the updated caliper.

So now we get to my issue. The caliper is date stamped what appears to be 24J which makes no sense as the Mazda technical bulletin only shows this stamped as 3 numbers.

I will include some pictures of this to show you what I mean, sorry the pictures are not the best but Its difficult to get a good picture with the low light.

I really hope Someone can help identify this date stamp so I then know what direction to go about fixing this.

Many thanks

John
I agree with what HyFlyer has said on the date code part. Besides, it’s 2022 when you got the caliper, and it’s hard for a Mazda dealer to keep a caliper manufactured before Sept. 2016.

If you believe your 2016 CX-5 with a new right rear caliper now is having the dragging issue again after 5 months of replacement, the culprit should still be the defective caliper. Not sure if you can ask the seller which is supposed to be a Mazda dealer giving you the parts replacement warranty which normally is 6 months to 12 months. It doesn’t hurt to contact them and ask.

BTW, what kind of dragging symptoms listed in the TSB do you awarer? Is it possible you also need a revised rear caliper to the left side?

I got lucky that my Mazda dealer was willing to replace the rear calipers、pads、and rotors on BOTH sides of my 2016 CX-5 right before the new car warranty expired when I presented the TSB. That would be what I do, replace both potentially defective rear calipers.

Hi, many thanks for the replies.

So the dragging issue I have is that sometimes the caliper is not fully being released so after a drive if you feel the tempature of the 2 rear allows the rear right was very much hotter than the left and sometimes you could even smell the brakes showing how hot it's got.

I did not replace the left caliper as that ones never been an issue and always worked exactly as it should, do you have to replace them in pairs?

Also something else I noticed is sometimes when releasing the epb the motor would wind, stop, then wind again with only one press of the button.
If I then reapplied the epb and released it, it would then just wind off the once and for the correct amount of time.

This then eventually threw the epb error codes again and disabled the epb.

All was fine for 5 months but unfortunately it has now come back and on the same side which I find very weird.

Since this problem has now come back and on the same side even with the caliper replaced do you think the culprit could now be a faulty EPB control module like was mentioned in the 1st Mazda issued TB, I know this was later superseded by the latest TB but without a way of testing the control module it's hard to know for sure.

Hi, many thanks for the replies.

So the dragging issue I have is that sometimes the caliper is not fully being released so after a drive if you feel the tempature of the 2 rear allows the rear right was very much hotter than the left and sometimes you could even smell the brakes showing how hot it's got.

I did not replace the left caliper as that ones never been an issue and always worked exactly as it should, do you have to replace them in pairs?

Also something else I noticed is sometimes when releasing the epb the motor would wind, stop, then wind again with only one press of the button.
If I then reapplied the epb and released it, it would then just wind off the once and for the correct amount of time.

This then eventually threw the epb error codes again and disabled the epb.

All was fine for 5 months but unfortunately it has now come back and on the same side which I find very weird.

Since this problem has now come back and on the same side even with the caliper replaced do you think the culprit could now be a faulty EPB control module like was mentioned in the 1st Mazda issued TB, I know this was later superseded by the latest TB but without a way of testing the control module it's hard to know for sure.
You seemed to have done extensive research to this problem. Yes, the first TSB for this brake dragging issue was to replace the EPB control module with an updated software. Apparently the revised software didn’t stop the problem happening, and Mazda eventually found the root of the problem and supposedly fixed the dragging with revised calipers, hence the 2nd TSB.

I wouldn’t try to replace the EPB control module unless it’s been verified faulty. Unfortunately that’s an expensive proposition. You need a Mazda computer to check the EPB control module, which means a dealer visit. And a new module is pretty expensive too.

If you can’t get parts warranty from the original seller, may be you should try to get a new pair of rear calipers this time. At least that’s what I’d do.

You can remove the negative post of the battery trying to reset the system. And put the EPB in maintenance mode a couple of times and see if the motor is turning properly.

Keep us posted.

Hi all, so an update on the issue. (I found some time to have another look)

So after spending a lot of time operating the 8mm drive shaft on the back of the caliper. (Motor drive shaft)

I was convinced that neither caliper had any sign of mechanical fault so that then got me thinking that as the fault is always showing only on the right side if I could rig up a way of connecting the right side electrics to the left side and vice versa I could then see if the fault moved to the other side.
If it did then the culprit would be the module.

So I managed to rig it up and test it and hey ho the fault moved to the left side, meaning that it can only then be the module at fault as I'd tested all the cables for signs of damage already.

I will include some photos of my very bodged up testing but it worked for what it wanted it to do.

Now the question, does anyone know if a new epb module needs coding to the car?

Attachments

• 20230215_121630.jpg
    20230215_121630.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230215_121624.jpg
    20230215_121624.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230215_121725.jpg
    20230215_121725.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230215_121734.jpg
    20230215_121734.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 70
... So I managed to rig it up and test it ...
Good work on diagnostics 👍

I see you're using FORscan (full version). How do you like it? I have the android based "lite" version and also bought the cable for the laptop in case I ever want to download the full version.

Hi all, so an update on the issue. (I found some time to have another look)

So after spending a lot of time operating the 8mm drive shaft on the back of the caliper. (Motor drive shaft)

I was convinced that neither caliper had any sign of mechanical fault so that then got me thinking that as the fault is always showing only on the right side if I could rig up a way of connecting the right side electrics to the left side and vice versa I could then see if the fault moved to the other side.
If it did then the culprit would be the module.

So I managed to rig it up and test it and hey ho the fault moved to the left side, meaning that it can only then be the module at fault as I'd tested all the cables for signs of damage already.

I will include some photos of my very bodged up testing but it worked for what it wanted it to do.

Now the question, does anyone know if a new epb module needs coding to the car?
Thanks for the update. Glad you found a way to verify the culprit should be the EPB module. Do you plan to get a used EPB module or a new one? The very first TSB for this brake dragging problem was to replace the EPB module with a revised one, I seem to remember something needs to be programmed to accept the new EPB module. You can ask such question at a Mazda dealer, especially if you plan to get a new EPB module there. Let us know how the thing is going from here.

Hi all so I just wanted to follow up on this post incase it can provide some help to anyone else with the same problem.

So after many many hours and lots of trial and error I've finally found the problem with the calipers and it was indeed as suspect the module.

I dont exactly know what happens to it but it becomes intermittent and never fully fails.

Looking into this it appears that Mazda does know about this and like to keep it as secret as possible.

However I did find this parts info online about the modules and it appears they are now on Thier 6th revision of this module and I can only guess that is because they have had issues with all the ones previous.

I order the latest version G and now it is working perfectly again. (Finally)

Mazda UK wanted to charge an obscene amount of money for a new module (£500) so with a bit of searching around online I managed to find a Mazda dealer in Dubai selling this exact part but at a much more reasonable price. £195 including postage and all import fees.
It even arrived quicker then Mazda UK quoted as was at my door within 3 days!

Extremely easy to fit, just required the center console part dissembley (guides for this online) then it's just plug and play, no coding required. Just connect it all up with the battery disconnected. Ignition on, wait 30 seconds, ignition off, ignition on then cycle the parking brake button.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future and if you have any questions feel free to ask I'll be happy to help if I can.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230420_223145_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230420_223145_Chrome.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 80
... I managed to find a Mazda dealer in Dubai selling this exact part but at a much more reasonable price. £195 including postage and all import fees.
It even arrived quicker then Mazda UK quoted as was at my door within 3 days! ...

Thanks for taking the time to report the resolution to help others who come along.

Do you have a link for the Mazda parts source in Dubai ? I imagine they could be useful for other parts as well.

Hi all so I just wanted to follow up on this post incase it can provide some help to anyone else with the same problem.

So after many many hours and lots of trial and error I've finally found the problem with the calipers and it was indeed as suspect the module.

I dont exactly know what happens to it but it becomes intermittent and never fully fails.

Looking into this it appears that Mazda does know about this and like to keep it as secret as possible.

However I did find this parts info online about the modules and it appears they are now on Thier 6th revision of this module and I can only guess that is because they have had issues with all the ones previous.

I order the latest version G and now it is working perfectly again. (Finally)

Mazda UK wanted to charge an obscene amount of money for a new module (£500) so with a bit of searching around online I managed to find a Mazda dealer in Dubai selling this exact part but at a much more reasonable price. £195 including postage and all import fees.
It even arrived quicker then Mazda UK quoted as was at my door within 3 days!

Extremely easy to fit, just required the center console part dissembley (guides for this online) then it's just plug and play, no coding required. Just connect it all up with the battery disconnected. Ignition on, wait 30 seconds, ignition off, ignition on then cycle the parking brake button.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future and if you have any questions feel free to ask I'll be happy to help if I can.
Really appreciate your update! Is the ignition on / off cycle through the steps to reset EPB control module? I remember someone had mentioned that his new EPB control module needed to be re-programmed after the installation, could be just the dealer didn’t tell him the truth.

Thanks for taking the time to report the resolution to help others who come along.

Do you have a link for the Mazda parts source in Dubai ? I imagine they could be useful for other parts as well.
He’s talking about the international automotive OEM parts seller partsouq.com located in Sharjah, north of Dubai, United Arab Emirates. You can go either partsouq.com or eBay to find OEM parts. Some here had ordered the OEM oil control valve (price is 42% less than the US OEM parts sellers) and Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filters from partsouq.com and all have a good result with very fast shipping within a week.

So here is the official Mazda guide on how to install/ remove the module and it shows that the computer is not necessary for fitting of a new module other than to check for fault codes after so as far as I'm aware and in my experience there's no reprogramming needed on this model cx5.

The company I used to order the parts was from was Online shop for auto, moto and marina parts | Burjauto they was very helpful in answering all my question and Thier postage was absolutely rapid! I definitely recommend them for anyone's future parts needs.

Attachments

• ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE CONTROL MODULE REMOVAL INSTALLATION.pdf
    194.5 KB · Views: 79
Back