Help! Hail damage

:
2010 CX-9
Parts of Long Island had a huge hail storm yesterday with golf ball and even baseball size hail. My wife was at work with the car outside and it now has close to 100 dings and dents on the hood, roof and even the chrome trim. Anyone know the best way to proceed?

Yep time to file a comprehensive claim. Given the year of your vehicle I doubt it will be totaled. Repair will be expensive and more than likely beyond the scope of PDR.

Thanks for the help. I spoke to insurance and have an appointment to get an estimate tomorrow from a local body shop. I was told I could either use them or try PDR. I will see what they say and decide from there. Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
You will need to drop your vehicle off at some point at a body shop for the duration of the repairs. A mobile vendor comes in and uses the physical building of the body shop to do his work. The lights in the body shop help the paintless dent repair technician see all the dents (although he has his own lights as well). It is best to wash your car the same day it is inspected, get every bug off and spec that you can. Paintless dent repair uses glue with sticks which the vendor yanks on with a "slide hammer" to pull the dents out. Magnets can also be used, and even other methods. Sometimes certain trim has to be removed to gain access to the back side of a panel. Damage that is not eligible for PDR: sharp deep dents, dents where the paint has cracked, dents which need to be accessed from the back side but have no access, dents that are "huge". Sometimes you just have to resort to traditional body work. Sucks to have an entire car covered in body filler though. Sometimes a glue stick will pull the paint off and then the body shop has to go and repair the area and paint the panel, which is another reason the mobile vendors comes to the body shop.

YOU need to get involved and find both a GOOD body shop and a GOOD PDR vendor that the body shop is willing to use. Yes the insurance company can pick out a "network" shop for you, but trust me, insurance companies take a shop's word for it that the pdr vendor is "good."

Thanks for the insight. Going to get the estimate this morning. Looked at the car again and there is closer or 200-300 dents. Even on the sides and the chrome trim on the bottom of the side windows. Really sad to see.

Yeah, bummer. There is some really really good talent out there. I know of a guy in the DC area who is not even a pdr guy, he is just a regular body man, and he is so good at working dents, and he has the ability, if paid well, to get metal back to flat completely without any filler. I did just write a complete estimate on a CX-7 about a month ago and it ended up being a total loss, just due to hail damage. Be prepared. If your 9 ends up being a total loss, let me know and I'll try to help you through it.

Thanks. Estimate came in at $10,000. 111 hours of labor. Car is just 13 months old and has 16,000 miles on it. I guess it is fixable and not a total loss. Does that sound right? It is at a good local shop. Had a couple of people recommend them as well as Liberty Mutual so I hope it works out.

yeah, sounds good. 111 hours may mean maxing out your rental coverage if you have it. Tip: if you have a 30/900 rental policy, if you get into a small car say 20 bucks a day, it will last quite longer than 30 or more a day.

Just because an Ins Co recommends a shop does not mean it is a good one. Trust me on that!

Insurance companies offer shops for customers for multiple reasons
1) Shop is contracted with ins. company to promise to not let the car sit out in the parking lot not getting worked on
2) Ins. Company wants to make sure that unskilled / untrained 17 year olds are not working on vehicles they insure, rather, the ins. company wants ASE and I-CAR certified technicians.
3) Make sure the shop does not take "shortcuts" on the car. I.E. replacing structural parts which have damage to crush zones, and not just slapping some filler into the crush zone; making sure some "kid" does not try to repair an airbag wiring harness / pigtail; making sure the shop does in fact replace that panel and not cake it full of body filler; make sure that safety items are replaced with safety items which match factory certification, etc.
4) Make sure that if a customer only has 30 days of rental coverage, that customer does not have to come out of pocket for rental, for a repair that goes way too long, much longer than it should.
5) Ins. Company wants the vehicle back to pre-loss condition in the quickest, safest, cost-effective manner possible.

Do some of these shops drop the ball sometimes? YES. Because they are run by people. People make mistakes.

Some shops try to get people on their side to "hate" the ins. company because:
-shop wants to get paid directly, without the customers name on the check (in case customer is not happy with repair)
-the technician may make alot of money repairing a repairable panel, but the greedy shop owner wants to replace it because he gets paid list price for the part, makes hand over fist just on the part profit alone, and also does not have to stand behind a repair.
-structural pull vs. a frame pull: radiator support does not require a frame rack pull, and just a floor pull, but if a frame rack is all the shop has, shop wants paid at frame time and not body time. Well, if you can't afford all the body shop equipment you should have, how is that the fault of the ins. company?
-aftermarket parts: not nearly as much profit on list price as an oem part. But of course this is not the reason they give to the customer. (if you are the customer, just pay the difference to put an oem part on and get over yourself)
-the shop can't afford an alignment machine, so they send it out to a tire shop, and want to get paid 25% markup on the cost of the alignment so they make a profit. Well, again, if you can't afford the equipment, why are you in business?

This is a tiny list compared with what is out there.

Yes insurance companies have stupid positions some times, because they are run by corporate America, just like every other large company, but seriously, if a given state tells insurance companies they are allowed to use an aftermarket part or used part if warranted, then you just have to pony up the cash. Get over it!

Back