Headlight out at 3k miles - 2014 GT

tnburban

:
'12 Mazda6 iTouring & '14 CX-9 GT 2WD
2014 GT with tech. Not off to a good start. Just over 3,000 miles and driver side headlight is out. Don't know much about these lights but when i turn the lights on it flickers for half a second before turning off. Passenger side it fine. Also the bright does not work as well. On other vehicles i own the brights are seperate bulbs and if the regular go out the brights still work. How are these set up?

It is under warranty and will be calling ASAP in the morning as we have another 400+ mile round trip this weekend that will involve lots of night interstate driving. One interesting thing is that last weekend we went to the Atlanta area and drove at night through some backroads in north Georgia. I was adjusting the headlight tilt or whatever you call it quite a bit trying to see how each of the settings performed in the pitch black. Could that have caused something to go bad?

Edit: the led daytime driving lights still work, if that is what they are called

Last edited:
2014 GT with tech. Not off to a good start. Just over 3,000 miles and driver side headlight is out. Don't know much about these lights but when i turn the lights on it flickers for half a second before turning off. Passenger side it fine. Also the bright does not work as well. On other vehicles i own the brights are seperate bulbs and if the regular go out the brights still work. How are these set up?

It is under warranty and will be calling ASAP in the morning as we have another 400+ mile round trip this weekend that will involve lots of night interstate driving. One interesting thing is that last weekend we went to the Atlanta area and drove at night through some backroads in north Georgia. I was adjusting the headlight tilt or whatever you call it quite a bit trying to see how each of the settings performed in the pitch black. Could that have caused something to go bad?

Edit: the led daytime driving lights still work, if that is what they are called

At 3500mi with mine and haven't had any issues. Sounds like a dealer trip is definitely the answer, as that early you shouldn't be having a relay issue, or any issue for that matter.

To answer one of your questions, our headlights are Bi-Xenon, which means in this case there is a motorized shutter that lifts up some to allow more light to escape for the High Beams. This is a separate motor function from the one that adjusts the angle for loading situations.

LED daytime driving lights or DRL (daytime running lights) is the correct name as well.

Thanks for the info. Takng it in tomorrow afternoon. Kinda concerned something electrical has happened this soon...I've done enough home and auto repair to know that nothing is worse than chasing electrical gremlins, fingers crossed.

Dealer looked at it, had it for about 24 hours and said they replaced the bulb. According to service manager, the old one had burned out at connection. I'm a little worried since something must have caused this to burn out at 3k miles. Worried it will happen again, we'll see.

Back