Have the transmissions been fairly reliable in the CX-5'?

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
I have to think if they use the same version in diesel models (considerably more torque) that they must be fairly sound.

I came across a few various posts elsewhere about valve body issues. No vehicle is perfect but is this just the normal "my problem must mean they all are bad".

Per the service manual the diesel gets upgraded components vs the gas models. This was the 2013 model before the 2.5 Gas version but since the 2.0 G appears to have a good record my guess it all G's are the same...

Good to know!

I'm overly sensitive to automatic transmission issues as they are the general major $$$ repair. I tend to change my auto fluid (swap what fluid will drain) at 15K mile intervals and probably totally overkill but far cheaper than a rebuild. This obviously won't address a design defect but helps me sleep better at night. That '87 Maxima rebuild when I was a kid left a foul taste in my mouth.

I did mine at 30k. And will do it again at 60k (drain/fill). Would rather keep the fluid viscosity up than allow extra wear on components. After all.. lifetime fluid is only good until your part's life is over lel ($$$$).

i wonder if the location for the drain and fill for manual transmission the same as the auto? , I would like to drain and fill the fluid once I hit 30 k

i wonder if the location for the drain and fill for manual transmission the same as the auto? , I would like to drain and fill the fluid once I hit 30 k

I think the location is approximate. Seems like I remember a door to nowhere in the body panel for it.

I have to think if they use the same version in diesel models (considerably more torque) that they must be fairly sound.

I came across a few various posts elsewhere about valve body issues. No vehicle is perfect but is this just the normal "my problem must mean they all are bad".

My impression from driving and also from reading others experience is that CX-5 transmissions are bullet-proof. There were a few owners (5 or 6) of early builds that needed new valve bodies, probably due to machining swarf being left in there during manufacture but this single issue appears to have vanished.

And, absolutely, the fact that the same transmission works flawlessly in the higher power/higher torque diesel models is strong evidence that they are robust.

I have had a couple transmission slips when cold (not literally cold, just from sitting overnight) and accelerating from a stop. Keeping an eye on it. Was having some vibration issues, but re-doing the transmission learn procedure seemed to help it. At some point when I'm at the dealer I'll see if there's a firmware upgrade for it.

The shift-point learn procedure is pretty easy (do it in a big empty parking lot with straight line room)
1. From a stop, Apply 20% accelerator from first to second gear. Stop completely.
2. Apply 40% accelerator from first to second gear. Stop completely.
3 Apply 60% accelerator from first to second gear. Stop completely.
Repeat 1-3 three more times.
Give 20% accelerator one more time.

Source: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-sY4-KaDJV-UEF3LTl6YmRuVDg/edit

Do you know the build date of your vehicle?

I have had a couple transmission slips when cold (not literally cold, just from sitting overnight) and accelerating from a stop. Keeping an eye on it. Was having some vibration issues, but re-doing the transmission learn procedure seemed to help it. At some point when I'm at the dealer I'll see if there's a firmware upgrade for it.

The shift-point learn procedure is pretty easy (do it in a big empty parking lot with straight line room)
1. From a stop, Apply 20% accelerator from first to second gear. Stop completely.
2. Apply 40% accelerator from first to second gear. Stop completely.
3 Apply 60% accelerator from first to second gear. Stop completely.
Repeat 1-3 three more times.
Give 20% accelerator one more time.

Source: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-sY4-KaDJV-UEF3LTl6YmRuVDg/edit

I've been hearing a pretty good rattle under the front left of the dashboard when accelerating around 2000 RPM. The car has 34000 miles. Took it to the dealer to have them check it out. 3 hours later they said they found the problem and had to order parts to fix it.

I said "what is it?". They said you are getting a new transmission!

Apparently they called Mazda and explained and they immediately told them to replace it.

It's a 2013 GT.

Now just waiting on parts to arrive to replace.

I've been hearing a pretty good rattle under the front left of the dashboard when accelerating around 2000 RPM. The car has 34000 miles. Took it to the dealer to have them check it out. 3 hours later they said they found the problem and had to order parts to fix it.

I said "what is it?". They said you are getting a new transmission!

Apparently they called Mazda and explained and they immediately told them to replace it.

It's a 2013 GT.

Now just waiting on parts to arrive to replace.

Do you know the month/year build of your CX?

Hi everyone! PLS HELP

I'm deciding between RAV4 2013 vs. CX5 2013 FWD 2.0. Obviously, I prefer CX5 but I'm worrying about the transmission problem. I saw related posts about this issue in the past and wonder if it has vanished in your vehicles.

LMK and I really appreciate your help :) Have a wonderful one everyone

You should get the RAV 4.

I've driven over 60,000 mikes on Skyactiv power trains and I think they are bulletproof too.

Back