2013~2016 Has anyone walnut blasted their 2.5L throttle body or pcv valve yet?

Digbicks1234

16.5 CX-5 Touring/2023 CX-9 Touring
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has walnut blasted their 2.5l, cleaned their throttle body or pcv valve yet. If so, have you noticed any noticeable difference?

I haven't had a chance to inspect either but based on some videos I've seen, it looks like new gaskets would be required upon disassembly. I was considering this as an upcoming maintenance since I currently have about 65k miles on my vehicle and I'm not sure if I should do this during 70k or wait until 100k.

Last edited:
You only need blasting if you actually have caked deposits (it's not guaranteed), which is a result of non existent/poor maintenance on the induction system. A service which will cost a couple hundred usually. For $10 in regular maintenance, you can spray a cleaner (crc gdi vlave cleaner) into the air intake/vacuum line and never require a walnut blasting. The throttle body doesn't necessarily need cleaning at an interval either, you can look at it and see if there are deposits around the plate. Although it takes 1 10mm bolt removed to look at it, and a $5-10 cleaner and a rag.

At 66,000 miles my CX5 runs like new and I have no intention of tearing apart the engine if not needed.

No walnuts, but on my '17 at about 32k miles, I did pull the intake manifold and manually cleaned the ports and back of valves with B12, a little manual scraping with a dental pick, and a modified torpedo shaped toilet bowl brush, chucked in a drill. Took 40 min to get the manifold off; 25 min of that was getting the wiring harness clips disengaged from the manifold (beefy zip ties hold the harness now, LOL). The valves on cyl 3 and 4 had light carbon crust, 1 and 2 were almost clean. You have to rotate the engine a few times via crank bolt to get closed valves on the cyl you're working on. And I used compressed air to blow out the ports I worked on (rag covering those ports) before moving onto the next set. I did not remove the passenger side wheel--just turn the steering far right and the crank bolt is accessible with suitable socket and extensions.

Gave the PCV a healthy spritz while it was accessible.

Last edited:
Felix Dan has a video of valve cleaning on Youtube. I am going to use a borescope to check it first. I will post pics when I do.

Back