Has anyone ever ran the Megan Racing Short Shifter?

Ubel Knubel

:
Mazda Protege5
Before I start, please don't tell me to search the forum. I've been doing that for the past 30 minutes. I was just wondering if anyone has ran it? If so is it crap or pretty decent? I don't want to get the twm because I've never had anything from them (I know the just make short shifters) but it's more of a trusting the product factor. Megan Racing I've had shift knobs and my friend has the coilovers they make on his Miata. If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks so much guys! Keep Zoomin!!

It's garbage. I didn't notice any difference from the oem. I ended up machining mine down and cutting a little over 2" off to get the height I wanted. No noticeable reduction in throw.

TWM or ebay special.

Compared the ebay version that I have against the TWM if theres a difference I cant spot it...

Last edited:
Get the twm. I had the megan ss a long time ago, the design is terrible. It uses snap rings to hold the assembly together. After a week of owning it, the snap ring broke, and my shifter fell through the floor and rested on my resonator.

did I mention get the twm? It's amazing.

$430 is a little much for a shorter shift. Don't you think? or is there a cheaper one with less goodies like the boot and knob and stuff?

The base TWM shifter is about $150, they always have deals going on to save money, just mention you are from this forum. The TWM is a great product, you will certainly get your moneys worth compared to the ebay or megan. TWM is likely the best shifter you can buy for a Protege.

I have the twm on my car and i've gotten the chance to use the megan on someone else's car. The megan is good, but the TWM has less slop and feels a lot more refined. I'm not sure why the kit is so exepensive on ebay... when i bought mine it was only around $160 for the boot, some bushings and the shifter

So my family bought me the MeganRacing shifter for Christmas while my girlfriend was snooping around on my laptop and now I kinda need to install it to make them all happy. Is it any different to install than the TWM? I've been looking at the manual for the TWM and the megan isn't too different. What should I do? Thanks guys!

So my family bought me the MeganRacing shifter for Christmas while my girlfriend was snooping around on my laptop and now I kinda need to install it to make them all happy. Is it any different to install than the TWM? I've been looking at the manual for the TWM and the megan isn't too different. What should I do? Thanks guys!

I have the megan racing shifter, mine did fall through the floor until i carefully grooved the shifter with a wafer disc on the grinder and made a nylon shim for where the pivot goes inside the shifter housing to remove up and down play, it has now been in the car with no problems for over 9 months, you will also need longer front heat shield bolts with spacers of about 10-13mm / (7/16-1/2")

Huh, so the Megan SS is really that bad, eh?
$150 for a TWM seems steep for a 11 year old car... heck that nearly makes up 5% of what I bought my P5 for. Have all the group buys come and gone? haha

So I got it installed, manhandled the heat shield to fit because the screws to it are stripped fro m when
i put my exhaust in. so I found a way to stop the up and down play without fabricating anything.. push the golden pivot ball down all the way and aha! there appears to be another slot for a snap ring, just so happens it fits. put the rubber boot and one of the green bushings where the shifter linkage meets the shifter itself on. should all bolt up and be smooth sailing I pray haha. thanks for the help guys! P.S. lube the crap out of it with some high pressure grease so it can pack together.

So that purple housing around the ball, what do I do with that? Do I just take it off completely?

the purple housing stays and the whole unit goes in, I took the coupling out of the purple housing and shimmed under the innards to take out up and down movement, then put the whole assy in with o ring and circlip which were a tight fit.

I just put in like it came but did what I said before and as of this morning took the console out and used a dremel to make that lip for the snap ring just a bit deeper into the shifter so it can hold onto it better. no issues at all now!

I didn't wanna fork out a lot for a short shifter but I couldn't deal with the height so I grabbed a sticker from a junk yard and cut about 2&1/2" above the pivot for the appearance and then cut about 1-1/4 of that and welded it below the pivot for a shorter throw...(it's a noticeable difference) then threw some black rattle can on it and called it done. ;) $5.00

I have the B&M and it is great. No need to reuse any of the plastic crap that holds the stock pivot ball in place.

Back