Handbrake adjustment on Mazda 2 - MY 2009

headache56

:
Mazda 2 Ts2 (2009),
The handbrake in my Mazda 2, 2009 feels a little slack.

After removing the console around the handbrake lever, I do not see any adjustment nut. Is any adjustment possible and, if so, how ?

"FEELS" slack, or "IS" slack? when you pull it up, will the brake hold the car, or will it still roll? if it holds the car, then it wont need any adjustment.

Thank you njaremka, good point, well made.

"Feel slack" it was - the lever operation is so much lighter than on my 1999 VW Passat. Road testing today showed the brake light comes on before the first click and, on a moderate hill (1:14 or 7%), it holds the car. So its all good, especially when there is no binding and the wheels run smoothly.

If I need it in future, do you know if there is / are any manual any adjusters ? I cannot get or find the definitive answer.

Cheers.

me too, it feels loose at the beginning when I lift the arm and I want to make it a little tighter. How to ?

mazda2 has rear drum brakes? most drum brakes do not have an external adjustment to the parking brake - they are typically internally self-adjusting. if it holds the car, just go with it.

Problem solved, handbrake / parking brake cable adjustment successful.

From your helpful tips plus primarily Russian web sites, I see that the Mazda 2, 2007+ does indeed have rear drum brakes and there is an adjustment nut underneath the cabin handbrake lever.

The adjustment nut is obscured by the plastic shround that covers the handrake / parking brake lever (i.e. the plastic that my fingers are curled around, when my thumb depresses the button to release the lever).

So with my face 6 inches away from the underside of the brake lever I can see the adjustment nut. Then using a 10mm x 90 degree rachet spanner I was easily able to tighten the nut - then with the rear wheels jacked up and chocked I checked to ensure that the wheels spin freely with the brake lever fully off.

All is now good. Thanks.

Back