had the electrochromatic/homelink mirror installed

sbmrinaldi

:
07 CX9 Grand Touring FWD
I just had the mirror/homelink installed today. I have to say it was expensive, but feel it completed my CX-9. I was very pleased with the electrochromatic mirror and homelink setup in my wifes Audi and missed it when we picked up the Mazda.

I had the Clearbra installed and last week put on the mudflaps and mirror/homelink today. Now if I can just get a set of all-weather mats I will be set for awhile. A seller has their version on Ebay and might not be a bad option, but still debating.

sbmrinaldi said:
I just had the mirror/homelink installed today. I have to say it was expensive, but feel it completed my CX-9. I was very pleased with the electrochromatic mirror and homelink setup in my wifes Audi and missed it when we picked up the Mazda.

I had the Clearbra installed and last week put on the mudflaps and mirror/homelink today. Now if I can just get a set of all-weather mats I will be set for awhile. A seller has their version on Ebay and might not be a bad option, but still debating.

Found a mirror (homelink/dimming/compass) and installation kit for $226 + shipping but waiting for another price before ordering.

Looks like about an hour installation job as it not a plug in headliner type but requires running the wires down the A pillar to the kick panel.

njerald said:
Found a mirror (homelink/dimming/compass) and installation kit for $226 + shipping but waiting for another price before ordering.

Looks like about an hour installation job as it not a plug in headliner type but requires running the wires down the A pillar to the kick panel.

http://www.waynemazdafactoryparts.com has it for $186.87 + $20 for the install kit with free shipping. I got mine, but they sent me the wrong installation kit. Since I'm local, I'll swing by to get my plates and the new install kit shortly.

There's got to be a switched +12V in the overhead console, maybe for the sunroof?

Attachments

• Mirror installation.PDF
    418.4 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
just_phil said:
http://www.waynemazdafactoryparts.com has it for $186.87 + $20 for the install kit with free shipping. I got mine, but they sent me the wrong installation kit. Since I'm local, I'll swing by to get my plates and the new install kit shortly.

There's got to be a switched +12V in the overhead console, maybe for the sunroof?

Great price, Thanks. I need the installation kit for rain-sensing wipers (GT model) so it is $12 more for that kit.

The instructions you posted are not for the Homelink/Compass mirror. They are for the Compass mirror.

I believe you need a constant +12V for the homelink in addition to the switched +12V for the compass/dimming.

I've put a number of these mirrors in other cars.

Last edited:
What exactly is the difference with the rain sensing wipers version? I have the GT with rain sensing wipers and since the dealer installed mine, I would like to know if I got the right parts. I read something regarding a sensor cover?

just_phil said:

Thanks for that link. I checked out the options for the CX-9. What is the rear finisher?? It comes color matched according to the order form, but there is no picture of what that is. It gives an option for smart key version or no smart key.

sbmrinaldi said:
What exactly is the difference with the rain sensing wipers version? I have the GT with rain sensing wipers and since the dealer installed mine, I would like to know if I got the right parts. I read something regarding a sensor cover?

I haven't seen one but it should be a cover for the wires that run to the headliner, in this case thru the area of the old rain sensor cover.

I think swtiched +12V is better than constant. That way you won't drain your battery. That's how it's wired (by factory) in my Subaru. There's definitely a constant one (map lights) in there.

The instructions are from the wrong kit because that's what they sent me :)

The rear finisher is that piece that sits right above the rear license plate, partly covered by the logo. Look in the brochure - all shots in the brochure have this 'chrome' piece. I don't know why it would be different for the smart key option, maybe there's an antenna in it?

just_phil said:
I think swtiched +12V is better than constant. That way you won't drain your battery. That's how it's wired (by factory) in my Subaru. There's definitely a constant one (map lights) in there.

The instructions are from the wrong kit because that's what they sent me :)

The rear finisher is that piece that sits right above the rear license plate, partly covered by the logo. Look in the brochure - all shots in the brochure have this 'chrome' piece. I don't know why it would be different for the smart key option, maybe there's an antenna in it?

Do you have a Homelink mirror? and it won't operate the garage door if the ignition is off?

I finally got the correct installation kit, and installed it yesterday. It's pretty easy, even removing the A-pillar trim turned out to be very easy, if you follow the instructions precisely. It turns out that you hook up two power leads - one 'constant' and one 'ignition'. The homelink module is powered all the time, and the compass/autodim module is only powered when the ignition is on. Kinda makes sense.

Attachments

• Autodimming Mirror with Homelink installation.PDF
    581.8 KB · Views: 741
Last edited:
Thanks for the PDF!!!... I am filing this away JIK.. They installed one and they didn't put the wire cover on.. so I let them know..

just_phil said:
I finally got the correct installation kit, and installed it yesterday. It's pretty easy, even removing the A-pillar trim turned out to be very easy, if you follow the instructions precisely. It turns out that you hook up two power leads - one 'constant' and one 'ignition'. The homelink module is powered all the time, and the compass/autodim module is only powered when the ignition is on. Kinda makes sense.

just_phil said:

How was Wayne Mazda with getting the right cable? I too got the wrong cable and need to return it. I work in Flanders so i figured I'd stop by one afternoon. Rectangular plug don't fit in square hole lol.

Kungpao said:
How was Wayne Mazda with getting the right cable? I too got the wrong cable and need to return it. I work in Flanders so i figured I'd stop by one afternoon. Rectangular plug don't fit in square hole lol.

They were ok, no trouble at all, but they didn't offer to pay for return shipping. They sent the replacement kit the same day, and I sent the wrong one back the following day. Supposedly, they only had one N02 kit in stock when I called.

They don't communicate well by e-mails, but call them up and ask for Dwayne, he's the internet parts guy.

The finisher is the trim garnish on the rear lid. It is chrome on the GT and body color on the sport and touring. The one for sale is chrome.

Auto-dimming/Compass mirror installation with Homelink (w/rain sensor)

Went to a stealer in Houston for Auto-dimming/Compass mirror installation quote - $595 plus tax. No way.
Ordered it online from Mazdagear for $195 plus $31 installation kit, received in 4 days, installed myself in 1.5 hours. Step-by-step instructions are easy to understand and follow.
Taking off the OEM mirrow was a bit tricky...I used a tool that comes with all do-it-yourself furniture (e.g. IKEA), using pliers changed angle from 90 to 20 degrees, pressed on the lock through the hole as per instructions. Be careful, mine OEM mirror actually poped up after pressing just a little bit, so hold the other hand on the mirrow. Other steps were rather straight forward.

Latest posts

Back